Thread: E36 Subframe Reinforcement and PF Bushings

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD

E36 Subframe Reinforcement and PF Bushings

I'm working on getting my cleaned up subframe reinstalled along with all new ball joints, bearings, etc. Condor Speed Shop Reinforcements are getting welded in tomorrow morning. Either I'm over-thinking this, or I have incorrect parts, can't tell which. I've googled, and googled, and there are hundreds of posts about rear subframe bushings, many of which are conflicting.

1. The Condor Reinforcements are just flat plate, not contoured like some. That puts the front mounting stud " hex nut" on the bottom surface of the reinforcement plate. If I put the PF washer on the top and the bottom of the bushing, the top washer, will just be bearing on the "nut" not bearing on the reinforcement plate. That seems strange to me. Normal?

2. The rear PF sleeve has a larger ID than the front sleeve, despite the front stud and rear bolt having the same OD. The ID seems too big for the mounting stud, and there is significant play. Every stock photo of the PF kit I can find, show the two different sleeve IDs. Seems odd to have this much slop in the rear sleeve. Pic Below. Normal?

Thanks,

Glenn

Last edited by wake74; 01-04-2019 at 05:15 PM.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
    I'm working on getting my cleaned up subframe reinstalled along with all new ball joints, bearings, etc. Condor Speed Shop Reinforcements are getting welded in tomorrow morning. Either I'm over-thinking this, or I have incorrect parts, can't tell which. I've googled, and googled, and there are hundreds of posts about rear subframe bushings, many of which are conflicting.
    Should we assume that yours is a non-M E36?

1. The Condor Reinforcements are just flat plate, not contoured like some. That puts the front mounting stud " hex nut" on the bottom surface of the reinforcement plate. If I put the PF washer on the top and the bottom of the bushing, the top washer, will just be bearing on the "nut" not bearing on the reinforcement plate. That seems strange to me. Normal?
    Normal. The reinforcement plate (add-on for non-M E36 chassis) strengthens the chassis floor in the area where the mounting stud is threaded. As designed by BMW the hex formed into the stud accepts the vertical load from the subframe.

2. The rear PF sleeve has a larger ID than the front sleeve, despite the front stud and rear bolt having the same OD. The ID seems too big for the mounting stud, and there is significant play. Every stock photo of the PF kit I can find, show the two different sleeve IDs. Seems odd to have this much slop in the rear sleeve. Pic Below. Normal?
    Normal. The front mounting studs align the rear subframe and the enlarged rear holes allow for some latitude in assembly. In a perfect world you might hope that everything might just line up perfectly without that, but...

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 01-05-2019 at 09:07 AM.

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    Neil - Thanks for the detailed answer. Much appreciated. Yes, the chassis is a nonM E36 sedan. Although I recently scrapped out a too cheap to pass up M3, so the nonM track car is getting all the M3 components currently, including diff, subframe, spindles, etc. Welder stopped by this morning and welded them in. Did a good job. I have a small MIG, but I didn't want to deal with the overhead welding given that I weld about twice a decade, and I am horrible at it.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
    I have a small MIG, but I didn't want to deal with the overhead welding given that I weld about twice a decade, and I am horrible at it.
    I resemble that remark! Made a rule for myself only to do minor convenience welding, nothing structural. Fortunately I have a skilled friend...

Neil

My Cars
    '97 M3
    FYI Remove the black tar sound deadening under the back seat bottom and up onto the trunk forward floor. You may find popped spot welds and cracking in that area, especially on the passenger side. It’s a common failure point that is hidden and makes for a sloppy subframe forward attach point. I’ve put a lot of effort into investigating and resolving the issue.
    Last edited by chikinhed; 01-07-2019 at 09:00 PM.