Thread: electric water pump fuse (Fuse 23) keeps blowing.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318ic

electric water pump fuse (Fuse 23) keeps blowing.

Hello everyone. I have very little experience with E60 (My older car was E36, which I am familiar with a bit) and am trying to diagnose an engine overheating problem.

A month ago, I got the engine overheating error (drive moderately message followed by stop engine message). Upon quick diagnosis I realized that fuse 23 in the glove box was blown. I knew there must be some reason why it blew, but for the time being it seemed I solved the issue. I drove a bit for a few weeks and now it is blowing again. It is not intermittent anymore and the fuse 23 blows immediately after I start the car. Can you give me some directions where should I start?

Is it possible there is a short in the connector at the electric pump resulting in short? Is the pump reachable from the top? My driveway is sloped, so I am not sure if I can access the car safely from the bottom. Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318ic
    Quote Originally Posted by 98318icRed View Post
    Hello everyone. I have very little experience with E60 (My older car was E36, which I am familiar with a bit) and am trying to diagnose an engine overheating problem.

A month ago, I got the engine overheating error (drive moderately message followed by stop engine message). Upon quick diagnosis I realized that fuse 23 in the glove box was blown. I knew there must be some reason why it blew, but for the time being it seemed I solved the issue. I drove a bit for a few weeks and now it is blowing again. It is not intermittent anymore and the fuse 23 blows immediately after I start the car. Can you give me some directions where should I start?

Is it possible there is a short in the connector at the electric pump resulting in short? Is the pump reachable from the top? My driveway is sloped, so I am not sure if I can access the car safely from the bottom. Thanks!
    I forgot to mention the details of the car. It is a 2007 525i with N52 engine. Thanks.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    You have get underneath to access the pump. I would agree with disconnecting the pump, to verify if it is wiring, or pump itself.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Electric water pump is most likely failing the drive moderately and over heat message point to the water pump, replace the thermostat also there bolted together. There's probabaly a fault stored for water pump

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Electric water pump is most likely failing the drive moderately and over heat message point to the water pump, replace the thermostat also there bolted together. There's probabaly a fault stored for water pump
    With that fault code show up with normal OBD scanner?