Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Problem

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL

Transmission Problem

Alright this is seeming like a pretty dire situation but I'm hoping its not....

So I've been fixing my '89 735iL myself and I finally got the brake lines done and got it on the road for my first time today. Very first drive I drove it around for 45 min with no issues. Decided to take it for another spin tonight and the transmission kept slipping, I would press on the gas and the revs would climb quick with no acceleration, seemingly in every gear at some point. I would gain speed, it would slip, and then it would never find a gear again causing me to crawl to a complete stop. The only way it would find a gear again was if I turned the car off and on again, after which I would repeat that process roughly every kilometer until I barely limped the car back into my garage. One time on restart I got the 'trans program error'. It also sounded like shit, I have a video of the situation if people are interested.

I also found out that I was able to turn the car off while in drive, making me think there is a lack of communication between the gear selector and the gear selector shaft, which I JUST had the O-ring replaced on. No tranny leak as far as I can tell, though I'll check the garage floor tomorrow, car is full of tranny fluid. The gear changes were really aggressive too, it would jolt into gear.

Please just tell me I don't need a new transmission as that'll mean me parting ways with my E32.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and again I can post that video upon request.

Thanks

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Might be wrong adjustment of the shifter cable, check the simple things first. https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/ see section 24-00/1 in E32 repair manual. Push the selector arm on the trans side forward into Parking position.
    Push the cable rod opposite driving direction. There must be no slack. Clamp cable rod with nut.
    Do you see in the cluster the same gear you have selected?
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    I'll check this out tomorrow. Yes the selector and cluster are synched. Does the linkage move while in drive according to its gear?

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Can you also explain how/where I'd clamp the cable rod?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    the linkage moves while in drive according to the selected gear. Drawing is in the link above in the workshop manual I posted and here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0052
    here pics from the 5HP30, basically same procedure http://bmwe32.masscom.net/dutch740/s...ectorshaft.htm

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    The line is kinda bent, could this be the culprit?

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Alright I just took it for a drive so I'm gonna be a little more specific. While it is a given gear I can get some power out of it most of the time, until it slips out of gear completely. I just tried yanking the selector towards the front and straightening it to no avail. It is like this because the harness holds it so high. Next potential solution? I was also digging around the forum and found some info about the speed sensor having a relationship with the transmission so I should note that I believe that the odometer is not perfectly correct if that makes any difference.
    IMG_3788.jpg

EDIT: I was reading this other thread you posted in (https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lication-Chart) after realizing my ATF is about a half inch above max on the dipstick. You posted a link to Bentley Publishing for the DIY on draining the ATF (http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...TFCapacity.pdf) which is now a dead link, at least for me. So if you have another link with pictures for the uninitiated I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by christofult; 01-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    You will not be able to move the lever on the side of the trans forward unless somebody is releasing the lever inside the car. There should be a bracket on the side of the trans - just about where your fingers are. That is where you adjust the cable. TBH, it looks like the clamp at the end of the cable has been put on the wrong way round. That may have caused the cable to bend because the clamp it is supposed to pivot. And if that is wrong, you need to make sure that the lever is actually engaging the shaft. Check out items 20, 23 and 24, 28,29,25 and 27 here:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0051

With regard to the speed sensor, try putting your VIN number in realoem. You will probably find that your trans has an output speed sensor inside it and does not use the one on the diff. Item 4 here:http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=24_0751
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 01-04-2019 at 06:36 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Here is another link to trans fluid level check https://www.europeantransmissions.co...MWtechinfo.htm
    I assume the bent cable is the problem as whiskychaser says. Adjust it correctly. The cable must be straight and moving the lever/shaft

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Okay this makes sense then because I can move the selector lever while the car is .

I'm pretty sure I tried to install #23 the other way and I couldn't make it happen but I'll give it another shot... Unless you're talking about #25 and 28.
    Last edited by christofult; 01-05-2019 at 02:08 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    In the picture of the linkage, is that the correct amount of the end of the cable that should be sticking out?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    that does not matter, it must be fixed in such a way, that there is no slack, look at the drawing in the workshop manual, page 24-00/1 https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/481en/index.htm

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Alright I'm confident I did everything right, there is still play in the clamp but I'm assuming it is due to me missing part numbers 26 and 29 so I will order those, drain some ATF and get back to you. I tried draining the ATF but did not have the correct allen key, do you know the correct size?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    check on realoem with your VIN for the parts and then google for the part numbers

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    How is your charging system? Good charge, good battery, everything tight?

I remember when I was driving my 735 from Buffalo to Regina and this happened when I would stop to fill up for gas, coffee,etc and it was friggin COLD out. I thought I was going to be stuck up there. I could turn the key off and back on and it would "reset" something. Everything would be fine until I stopped again. Unfortunately I can't remember the fix, but it must have been electrical. Maybe try a hard reset of the modules?? Is your kick down switch under the gas pedal working? As in, not stuck down like mine did a couple times.

If you end needing a tranny, I have nice one- from that same car.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Yeah I have a good charge, brand new battery. Good cold start in -10 weather today. Just got the extra parts for the linkage assembly and I had no success. It doesn't really seem to be the problem to me but what do I know. I tried loosening the drain plug for the ATF which I was totally unable to do, I might heat it up with a torch lighter or something and give it another shot. I'm hoping that my ATF is overfull, giving me these issues. Any other next steps I should take would be appreciated!

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    I got the remaining parts. I am able to move the lever on the side of the trans without someone on the lever in the car btw. The bracket where my fingers (20?) are I though was just to hold the line straight as it goes into the rest of the linkage right? Or does that tighten down on the line and determine its length?

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by christofult View Post
    I got the remaining parts. I am able to move the lever on the side of the trans without someone on the lever in the car btw. The bracket where my fingers (20?) are I though was just to hold the line straight as it goes into the rest of the linkage right? Or does that tighten down on the line and determine its length?
    If you can move the lever on the side of the trans and take the cable with it, that just means that the shift lock inside the car isn't working. The bracket on the side of the trans is for adjusting the cable outer. If you can adjust a bicycle brake cable, you can adjust that. It is very difficult to get it wrong if you push the lever on the side of the trans fully forward and the lever inside the car to P.

For some reason, people tend to overtighten the trans sump plug. You might need a breaker bar

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Look at the lever inside the car, maybe thw shift wire/bowden cable is unhooked. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=25_0051
    Is the pull rod nr. 13 installed and not broken?
    Last edited by shogun; 01-18-2019 at 10:55 PM.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Pull rod is installed correctly to the best of my knowledge. I disassembled and reassembled the whole system today, put the clamp on after putting the car into P from inside the car, then thightened the linkage while it was in P, and still had the same problem, though MAYBE to a lesser extent though that could just be a fluke. I do know that the shift lock isn't working so I'm going to try to figure that out tomorrow. No idea what to do otherwise
    Last edited by christofult; 01-24-2019 at 05:50 PM.

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    If you still can't get the drain plug to break free, you can always undo the dipstick or radiator fittings and drain out some ATF.

Have you tried a "reset" of the modules? Disconnect the battery and use something to connect the cables together for a while (or just leave the battery disconnected for a few hours), then reconnect and take it for a spin.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    When you get the 'trans program' message in the cluster, a fault code is stored in the EGS memory. So if you clear it, you are going to lose a valuable clue to the cause of the problem. Of course, the code might just be 'speed monitoring' - a roundabout way of saying what you are putting in at the front of the trans is not coming out at the back. And you know that already.

What you might try is to simply disconnect the EGS plug. You should at least get a high forward and reverse gears. Removing the plug disconnects all the solenoids including the one which controls pressure. So you get all the pressure the system can muster. If it will not move under its own steam then, your next step may be to drop the valve body and clean it out. You will get the 'trans prog' message when you disconnect but it will go away again as soon as you connect up again and cycle the ignition
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 01-29-2019 at 07:37 AM.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Haven't tried that, but I've had the battery out within the last few months, but not since trying to drive it

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735iL
    Where is the EGS plug found?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast