My Cars
    2001 BMW X5

‘01 X5 3.0 Automatic Does not move when in gear.

I have a 2001 X5 3.0 229,000mi that when put in to any gear (R, D, M1-5) it will not go. When reved up it feels like it almost has some pull but does not go. When you shift it back to Park it makes a clicking noise until it locks in. There was no noises or warning lights before this happened and still shows no warning lights. My wife was driving it and when she went over a speed bump it all the sudden stopped going and displayed the symptoms described above.
    I have checked the transmission fluid and it is at proper level.
    I read also about the drive shafts and all are tight and seals intact. The drive shaft along the transmission that connects to the transfer case has some play in it when twisting it but I’m not sure how much it is supposed to have.
    I’m trying to figure out if it could be something I can fix or am I going to have to drop the big $ on a transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a video of the noise it makes when you put it back into park but I’m not sure how to post it on here.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Even if you're X5 doesn't have a CEL, it likely has some stored fault codes that you can pull. There are quite a few transmission codes that it can produce - hopefully that'll help you troubleshoot where the issue is coming from. Hope this helps you out a bit, please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST