Thread: E93 rear backup camera install

My Cars
    2001 330i 5-spd sprt pkg

E93 rear backup camera install

Hey guys. I have a 2007 E93 with nav and sport package and I acquired a rear backup camera. The instructions, in their entirety (no kidding) are:

Red: +12 volts
    Black: Ground
    Blue wire: connect for reverse image (if available)
    White wire: connect to remove guide lines

That's is. That's all the instructions are. Now, I have an actual engineering degree, but even I need a little more than that.

Any good DYIs out there? It is a Crux CBM-02T backup camera for 2007-2011 3 series.

Thanks.

Matt

My Cars
    2008 BMW E93 335i
    Just about to undertake the same task tomorrow, with similar vague instructions with my unit. From my understanding the following connections should be:

1. The blue and white (blue and black on my version) cable connects to the boot release wiring.
    2. The Red Connector from the back of the camera connect to the supplied black connector with and a black and red cable. The black cable connects to Ground and the red cable connects to the red cable on the RCA cable [See photo]IMG_5849.jpg
    3. The yellow RCA from the camera connects to the the supplied extension cable also with yellow RCA and routed to the front of the car. On my yellow RCA is also a thin red wire at each end, now i believe at the camera end the red wire connects to the positive on the reverse light as well, and at the monitor end there should be camera reverse control cable to connect to. For me this still needs to be confirmed as still expecting delivery of the android head unit.

Not sure what will be best yet in terms of running the cables from the lid into the boot, whether to to just to tie wire onto the existing wiring harness rubber grommet on the right of the boot, or to keep it neat and run on the left hand side and order parts 61136919420 & 21 and the rubber grommet (does anyone have the OEM part number for this corrugated rubber tubing?)

Regards,

Paul
    Last edited by Mecpaul; 01-04-2019 at 10:09 PM.

My Cars
    2001 330i 5-spd sprt pkg
    OK, my RCA cable with the camera is super long already, enough to go to the front of the car. Where does it plug in up there?

I think both reds are 12v?

My Cars
    2008 BMW E93 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    OK, my RCA cable with the camera is super long already, enough to go to the front of the car. Where does it plug in up there?

I think both reds are 12v?
    If your trying to connect direct to your CCC monitor it will not work, for me i have just completed the installation of an aftermarket Android system. This has has the video feed RCA for the rear view camera, and 12v live cable which only powers up when selecting the reverse, it comes supplied with a pink 360 connector as well for BMW factory fitted camera. If your not upgrading your monitor you could try plug and play emulator, but i think this only works CIC models - I may be wrong, or retrofit rear view mirror with inbuilt screen, but no idea how this method would work or where to terminate the cable neatly.

Word of advice though, the cable has to go inside the rubber grommet inside the trunk/boot!!!! My cable is like yours with the RCA plugs on each end, so after a bit of head scratching as the RCA end will not fit directly inside, I decided to tie wire to the outside. Got everything working and opened the roof, thinking all would be OK, but no! the cable was cut with the opening mechanism. So with this type of cable you have no choice but to cut it and splice it back after fitting inside rubber section.

IMG_5863.jpg

My Cars
    2001 330i 5-spd sprt pkg
    OK. It seems this camera was designed for use with an aftermarket Android system as well. I am going to return it.

We have actually decided to sell the car as well, if anyone wants a 2007 E93 manual sport package