Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought over Built Round 2 - 1998 Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra

Bought over Built Round 2 - 1998 Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew

Hello BF.c FI,

I wanted to share the next chapter of my BMW journey. Two and half years ago I decided to buy a Eurosport Twinscrew E36 M3 instead of turbo'ing my Estoril M3. It was the right decision at that time in my life and I have absolutely loved the car. It's everything an E36 should be. As much as I loved the car the color scheme, Fern Green on Sand Beige, always just bothered me. Most people like it and give it compliments but it just wasn't for me, but I didn't want to give up the nice bump in power of a stock car so I dealt with it. Then I was browsing BF for sale section and I see "Twin Screw 1998 M3 Estoril Blue." I thought to myself, just don't click in there its only going to make you want it. Lightly put I am obsessed with Estoril, I think it is one of the best BMW colors ever made. I read the for sale ad and it was quit a bit more modified than mine and located in Kansas City, 1800 miles from where I live outside Seattle. It took me about 2 months of convincing myself it wasn't worth the effort before I caved and emailed the seller. After we chatted we had an agreed upon price and I had a flight to Kansas city on my birthday (May 17) to pick up the car and drive it back to Seattle. The trip took us 3 days and other then a bit of exhaust drone we made it in one piece

First Picture:

Couple Pictures from the Trip:

I started work on cleaning up the Fern Green one for sale but a Dyno Day popped up so I decided to take both in and see what the Stage 2 one made over the Stage 1. A whopping 5 RWHP.....needless to say I was pretty disappointed. The car is running really lean and overall the AFR's just suck. I started digging into the car more and more and it started to become obvious that there were a fair amount of things the PO didn't disclose or only told half the story. I went to get an emissions test and the car failed despite not having a CEL present. Turns out the CEL bulb was burnt out and a couple codes are present. The only things I have done to this point was adding Clear Tails.

https://youtu.be/LjtrunBqicU

At the same time I was trying to get the Fern Green M3 for sale I had just started a new job and was in the process of moving so the Estoril didn't get much love but was drove here and there. More recently after wrapping up some projects and getting everything line up I washed the car and took a couple pictures and then put her up on the lift to start the process of digging into some issues. Things I need to do or want to replace.

-Full Exhaust: The Current exhaust is way too loud for my liking so I will be installing AA headers, Section B and a Dinan Catback. Hopefully that quiets it down.
    -Suspension: The Spring rates on the coilovers are too high and so I have some lighter ones ready to go in
    -CEL Light Fix: Chase down the CEL light, one issue is that one of the Pre Cat O2 sensors isn't plugged into anything.
    -Power Steering: New pump, lines and ZHP rack.

That will get me started but I'm sure other things will pop up here and there. Pictures from today:

Both Cars Together

License Plate from my Grandfathers 2000 528i he got on Euro Delivery. Been on 7 of my BMW's since

On the lift ready to go under the Knife

Thanks for looking!

--Seppi

My Cars
    M3
    I remember when this car was for sale and looks like a riot!

So relative to the exhaust... I am VF Supercharged Stage 1 With Schrick Cams and other supporting modification - I currently have the Supersprint US Spec Header, Supersprint resonated mid-pipe section and an Active Autowerke rear axle back. I'm dynoing roughly the same as yourself - 357 WHP. The car is too quiet for what it is. It is honestly a little louder than stock. I will be picking up a Supersprint race section axle back.

Before the headers, I was running the midsection with the cat delete and Rogue RMS exhaust and I was too loud probably because it wasn't resonated in the center like it currently is.

I've come to the realization that the rear axle back matters greatly on the amount of noise that you want. For the kind of car it is, the entry price to the Dinan axle back might be a little much and I would think it would be too quiet. I'd probably go a little more aggressive simply because your AA mid section will be resonated. I do not have an exact suggestion for you but take my experience for what it's worth.

Regards,

Omair
    95 Cosmos

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    Beautiful. Estoril on the OZ’s is an EXCELLENT combo. Was bummed to see you didn’t get what you were looking for on BAT with the green car.
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Omairtheman1 View Post
    I remember when this car was for sale and looks like a riot!

So relative to the exhaust... I am VF Supercharged Stage 1 With Schrick Cams and other supporting modification - I currently have the Supersprint US Spec Header, Supersprint resonated mid-pipe section and an Active Autowerke rear axle back. I'm dynoing roughly the same as yourself - 357 WHP. The car is too quiet for what it is. It is honestly a little louder than stock. I will be picking up a Supersprint race section axle back.

Before the headers, I was running the midsection with the cat delete and Rogue RMS exhaust and I was too loud probably because it wasn't resonated in the center like it currently is.

I've come to the realization that the rear axle back matters greatly on the amount of noise that you want. For the kind of car it is, the entry price to the Dinan axle back might be a little much and I would think it would be too quiet. I'd probably go a little more aggressive simply because your AA mid section will be resonated. I do not have an exact suggestion for you but take my experience for what it's worth.

Regards,

Omair
    Thank you for all the advice on the exhaust. I already have sourced all the parts for the AA to Dinan system. The Dinan Catback was on the other car before hand and I loved the sound and so I know what I am getting into in regards with that. Its possible running the non stock headers and no cat will make it a bit louder but hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by E34nication View Post
    Beautiful. Estoril on the OZ’s is an EXCELLENT combo. Was bummed to see you didn’t get what you were looking for on BAT with the green car.
    They will ultimate be replace with AC Schitnzer Type III wheels but I agree they look pretty awesome. I've always wanted to run the ACS Type II and I think the 17s will work better on the car. BAT is a tough beast to get a hold of. I didn't even get close to my reserve and today a Byzanz with 140k miles and tons of paint damage went for $14,250. Go figure

My Cars
    are slow.
    Wow, what a story.

It's seems like you're down on power, but not by a huge amount:

http://www.eurosporthighperformance....L_vs_stock.pdf

Sounds like you'll be able to get everything up to par in no time.

What coilovers / Spring Rates are on the car right now?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Small update but I got a new steering wheel

Before

After

No much driving around here we got 6 inches of snow yesterday

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    Small update but I got a new steering wheel

Before

After

No much driving around here we got 6 inches of snow yesterday

You wouldn't by chance happen to have the old steering wheel (and be interested in getting rid of it), would you?

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
    You wouldn't by chance happen to have the old steering wheel (and be interested in getting rid of it), would you?
    Sorry unfortunately I sold it already.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Seppi, that snow has put a damper on any driving. I hope it clears this weekend.
    I like the new car!

My Cars
    7/94 M3, 92 325-4
    That an AC Schnitzer 3 piece spoiler on the rear? I have a brand new one sitting in the garage...... one of these days.....
    'But Dad.... it's PURPLE!'

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Sorry unfortunately I sold it already.
    And you don’t regret going from 370mm to that oversized 385mm??? I hated that wheel.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    And you don’t regret going from 370mm to that oversized 385mm??? I hated that wheel.
    The one I had in there was a 385mm version so its the same size. The 370mm are uber rare.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3
    Congrats on the new car. I always favored EB color but then again Metallic Black is beautiful under the sun.
    Just got back into the game with a 4/5 Alpine white. Love how this car drives.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    I was able to get some work on the car done last weekend. The suspension that was on it was some 14 year old ground control suspension that was rusty as can be, super hard and just generally pretty tired. I had some new ground control coilovers that I had planned for the last car that I installed along with 12.5mm spacers, apex race studs, new sway bar links and 4 front M Roadsters

Parts ready to roll

quickjack set up

Rear suspension

Studs

Studs and spacers

Suspension parts

Sway Bar Links

Front Suspension

I was under the impression that you could adjust the front suspension with it installed but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did I install this incorrectly?

I like the car raked a bit so I've got the back raised up but I'm still playing with the ride height

Nice to get under the car and back to wrenching.

Thanks!

--Seppi
    Last edited by Alpine 318is; 03-14-2020 at 06:34 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    You are missing the reinforcement plate that includes the camber pointer built in. Call GC, they can sell you one. You can see it here (also, double up with the OEM reinforcement plate);

Anti-seize with alu to alu (spacer to wheel) isn't necessary. Steel hub to spacer, yes.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 03-15-2019 at 02:56 PM.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    You are missing the reinforcement plate that includes the camber pointer built in. Call GC, they can sell you one. You can see it here (also, double up with the OEM reinforcement plate);

Anti-seize with alu to alu (spacer to wheel) isn't necessary. Steel hub to spacer, yes.
    You have the race camber plates where-as I have the sport ones. It seems as if that reinforcement plate isn't included. Thanks for the info on the spacer to wheel anti size.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I know you have street plates. I forgot my first street set were different from yours. Regardless you must run a reinforcement plate. It’s possible you have your OEM ones in there, can’t tell.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Those are definitely different from mine. Getting the reinforcing plates wouldn't hurt obviously but it doesn't look like they are included from GC

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Hello time for an update, with the COVID-19 pandemic keeping me at home I've had a chance to do some work on the car.

After driving around since installing the coil-overs the suspension even with the lightest springs I could buy it was just too harsh for my tastes. On my previous M3 I had Bilstein Sport Shocks and H&R Sport Springs and I thought that was perfect. I figured I could sell the coil-overs and and still have some money left over. At the same time I decided to sell the Wilwood big brake kit as it was overkill for my street driving. After selling and sourcing all the parts I went to work. I also put on my AC Schnitzer wheels I had been hoarding for the last 3 years.

One thing that came about is that after installed the new suspension with the reinforcement plates above the shock mounts, and then putting the strut brace their isn't a ton of meat for the bolts to grab. I was able to torque them correctly but I'm a bit worried. Thoughts?

Pics:

Rear Springs Installed
    IMG_2343 by Seppi Hutter, on Flickr
    IMG_2344 by Seppi Hutter, on Flickr

Rear Shocks:
    IMG_2345 by Seppi Hutter, on Flickr

Front Struts
    IMG_2421 by Seppi Hutter, on Flickr

Front Struts and Brakes installed
    IMG_2568 by Seppi Hutter, on Flickr

Strut bolts issue
    IMG_2577 by Seppi Hutter, on Flickr

New Wheels:
    IMG_2585 by Seppi Hutter, on Flickr

My Cars
    Too Many
    Did you buy this from Jordan or had he sold it to someone else and you bought it from them?

I sourced the spoiler and wheels for this car probably 10 years ago, back then it had a VF or that style of blower on it.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by HE53 View Post
    Did you buy this from Jordan or had he sold it to someone else and you bought it from them?

I sourced the spoiler and wheels for this car probably 10 years ago, back then it had a VF or that style of blower on it.
    I bought it directly from Jordan, hopefully you had better dealings with him than I did. Yeah apparently when he bought it the car was dove gray and VF Supercharged. He had done the mods since then.

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe

bought over built round 2

I bought it directly from Jordan, hopefully you had better dealings with him than I did. Yeah apparently when he bought it the car was dove gray and VF Supercharged. He had done the mods since then.
    you should have more threads showing on your strut bar, i am using a mason bar with stock upper mount and have more threads, also have you looked at fat cat motorsports for shocks ?

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Great looking car, looking forward to seeing more photos of it outside in the wild.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Hello all - Been almost 8 months since an update so this will be a big one. I've done a fair amount of work but didn't have a chance to get a bunch of pictures of the process so this will be text heavy but some nice pictures a the end.

I was getting some intermediate overheating issues and since the car needed to run cool because of the extra power I decided to look into the cooling system first. It has an aftermarket radiator and expansion take so I knew it wasn't that. I figured to just make it easy on myself and ordered a Stewart water pump, thermostat housing, 80c thermostat and fresh coolant. Pretty straight forward install. Since a lot of the car was apart at that time it was time to look into the power steering issues. My power steering had a mind of its own, sometimes it would work sometimes it would. I got all new lines, rack, and power steering pumped and fluid. As I drained the fluid it had a ton of mechanical flakes in it so I new the rack or pump was smoked. The pullies squeaked pretty good as well so fresh ones were ordered.

Put the car back together and the power steering was back and consistent and the temperature was right in the middle of the gauge. Feel confident that the hardware of the car was good it was time to move to the software.

Ever since I had the car on the Dyno right after I got it I knew that it was running super lean and losing power. Being that 22RPD was in my back yard I decided to have Zack take a look at the car. After doing a baseline (368hp / 303 tq) Zack felt that with the small supercharger pulley, cams and headgasket the 37lb injectors couldn't keep up. We decided to go with the trusty 42lb green giants and some fresh spark plugs. After doing his magic the car made 396hp and 335tq. Assuming 12% drivetrain loss looking at 450 crank hp.

Knowing that the car was running great and safely I was able to start to push it and really enjoy it again. It truly is an absolute joy to drive this car with the Eurosport Twinscrew supercharger. Around town and what not it drive like a nice stock E36 M3 but when you squeeze the throttle the power comes on so quickly and builds so predictably. Its just the perfect little car for me.

After a couple months of enjoying the car the rear end started to make a clunking noise when taking off from a stop or reversing. The bushings on the differential looked really tired, the bushings were pulled out of my treehouse racing control arms and the sway bar links were hitting the control arms as well. I bought rev shift bushings and stock control arms. The sway bar links were adjustable so I was able to shorten them and after putting everything back together, no more sound!

Now that that the mechanical condition of the car was solid it was time to move to the interior. The car came with some infinity speakers and a big amp in the back. They didn't sound great and I wanted the system to be more stock. I've had success with Bav Sound and used their kit again. Sounds awesome now and has a cleaner look. Also did the cabin filter and a blower resister motor.

Had a Reiger lip sitting in a box for 3 years from my old car and put that on as well. Had an exterior detail, clay bar and polish and wow the paint looks amazing now. Its been a long time coming but I'm feeling really great about the car and the condition.

Thanks!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Looks sharp! Have the same wheels as you do, I find them to be very style 37ish without being too large or too wide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast