Thread: Bought over Built Round 2 - 1998 Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew

My Cars
    98 M3 Twinscrew, 07 X3

Bought over Built Round 2 - 1998 Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew

Hello BF.c FI,

I wanted to share the next chapter of my BMW journey. Two and half years ago I decided to buy a Eurosport Twinscrew E36 M3 instead of turbo'ing my Estoril M3. It was the right decision at that time in my life and I have absolutely loved the car. It's everything an E36 should be. As much as I loved the car the color scheme, Fern Green on Sand Beige, always just bothered me. Most people like it and give it compliments but it just wasn't for me, but I didn't want to give up the nice bump in power of a stock car so I dealt with it. Then I was browsing BF for sale section and I see "Twin Screw 1998 M3 Estoril Blue." I thought to myself, just don't click in there its only going to make you want it. Lightly put I am obsessed with Estoril, I think it is one of the best BMW colors ever made. I read the for sale ad and it was quit a bit more modified than mine and located in Kansas City, 1800 miles from where I live outside Seattle. It took me about 2 months of convincing myself it wasn't worth the effort before I caved and emailed the seller. After we chatted we had an agreed upon price and I had a flight to Kansas city on my birthday (May 17) to pick up the car and drive it back to Seattle. The trip took us 3 days and other then a bit of exhaust drone we made it in one piece

First Picture:

Couple Pictures from the Trip:

I started work on cleaning up the Fern Green one for sale but a Dyno Day popped up so I decided to take both in and see what the Stage 2 one made over the Stage 1. A whopping 5 RWHP.....needless to say I was pretty disappointed. The car is running really lean and overall the AFR's just suck. I started digging into the car more and more and it started to become obvious that there were a fair amount of things the PO didn't disclose or only told half the story. I went to get an emissions test and the car failed despite not having a CEL present. Turns out the CEL bulb was burnt out and a couple codes are present. The only things I have done to this point was adding Clear Tails.

https://youtu.be/LjtrunBqicU

At the same time I was trying to get the Fern Green M3 for sale I had just started a new job and was in the process of moving so the Estoril didn't get much love but was drove here and there. More recently after wrapping up some projects and getting everything line up I washed the car and took a couple pictures and then put her up on the lift to start the process of digging into some issues. Things I need to do or want to replace.

-Full Exhaust: The Current exhaust is way too loud for my liking so I will be installing AA headers, Section B and a Dinan Catback. Hopefully that quiets it down.
    -Suspension: The Spring rates on the coilovers are too high and so I have some lighter ones ready to go in
    -CEL Light Fix: Chase down the CEL light, one issue is that one of the Pre Cat O2 sensors isn't plugged into anything.
    -Power Steering: New pump, lines and ZHP rack.

That will get me started but I'm sure other things will pop up here and there. Pictures from today:

Both Cars Together

License Plate from my Grandfathers 2000 528i he got on Euro Delivery. Been on 7 of my BMW's since

On the lift ready to go under the Knife

Thanks for looking!

--Seppi

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Sharp! If it weren't for Estoril Blue, I wouldn't have an M Coupe__she's not really a fan of the shape, but she loved the color (and is the one that told the girl selling it that we had to buy it, before she even announced it to me).

EB FTW!

Have fun with it, and you'll get it dialed in the way you want it.

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    Cool update, sorry to hear about the PO not being totally forthcoming - been there done that a few times! Nice pickup regardless, sounds like a fun project and looks great.

My Cars
    Estoril M3 Coupe
    The car looks great, even if the power is not yet where you want it to be. That ACS lip spoiler sets it apart.
    Last edited by Keda; 01-02-2019 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3 Twinscrew, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Sharp! If it weren't for Estoril Blue, I wouldn't have an M Coupe__she's not really a fan of the shape, but she loved the color (and is the one that told the girl selling it that we had to buy it, before she even announced it to me).

EB FTW!

Have fun with it, and you'll get it dialed in the way you want it.
    It's funny you mention it because my Fiance doesn't really understand my love of older BMW's (The black E93 is hers) but she does say how good looking the Estoril is. Thanks again for all the past and future help on the ESTS kits!

Quote Originally Posted by SamGrant951 View Post
    Cool update, sorry to hear about the PO not being totally forthcoming - been there done that a few times! Nice pickup regardless, sounds like a fun project and looks great.
    Yeah its too bad it turned out that way but only think I can do at this point is fix what needs to be fixed and enjoy the crap out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keda View Post
    The car looks great, even if the power is not yet where you want it to be. That ACS lip spoiler sets it apart.
    Not too worried about the power level, its more know that it sound be higher and its not higher because its running poorly. If I get the car running properly with correct AFR's and what not, it doesn't matter to me if its 360 RWHP or 390 RHWP. I've loved that ACS spoiler for probably 10 years so that was a nice cherry on top.

My Cars
    E90 335d, E36 M3
    Nice ride! The TS kits were really nice back in the day, you donít see to many people running them nowadays.

My Cars
    328i
    Sweet

My Cars
    98 M3 Twinscrew, 07 X3
    Small update but I got a new steering wheel

Before

After

No much driving around here we got 6 inches of snow yesterday

My Cars
    1997 328 convertible
    I saw your green car up for sale right after I commited to rebuilding the engine on my car, which was a huge mistake. Wish you put it a week or two earlier, I most likely would have bought it instead, I really like the idea of a twin screw car. I was thinking with being able to 3D print metal now it wouldn't be too hard to do intakes to make new kits instead of trying to find a used one for a reasonable price.

My Cars
    98 M3 Twinscrew, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Groshuk View Post
    I saw your green car up for sale right after I commited to rebuilding the engine on my car, which was a huge mistake. Wish you put it a week or two earlier, I most likely would have bought it instead, I really like the idea of a twin screw car. I was thinking with being able to 3D print metal now it wouldn't be too hard to do intakes to make new kits instead of trying to find a used one for a reasonable price.
    I probably walked away from 2-4 grand waiting from summer 2018 to winter 2018 to post it. I wanted to make sure it was in near perfect shape for the next owner and I bought a house in June and so I just kept putting it off and putting it off. The weather and the stock market dropping a bunch I think really hurt my sale price both on the private party as well as BAT. Ahhh such is life.

Yeah the tuning and the manifold are really the only super unique parts of the kit. Its a bummer TRM doesn't really care too much about the ESTS its possible there might be some people willing to have a kit made.

My Cars
    98 M3 Twinscrew, 07 X3
    I was able to get some work on the car done last weekend. The suspension that was on it was some 14 year old ground control suspension that was rusty as can be, super hard and just generally pretty tired. I had some new ground control coilovers that I had planned for the last car that I installed along with 12.5mm spacers, apex race studs, new sway bar links and 4 front M Roadsters

Parts ready to roll

quickjack set up

Rear suspension

Studs

Studs and spacers

Suspension parts

Sway Bar Links

Front Suspension

I was under the impression that you could adjust the front suspension with it installed but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did I install this incorrectly?

I like the car raked a bit so I've got the back raised up but I'm still playing with the ride height

Nice to get under the car and back to wrenching.

Thanks!

--Seppi

My Cars
    |99 Turbo M3 | 2K7 335|
    nice setup, is your quickjack a BL-5000SLX ? I am looking to get one if I don't buy a 4 post lift..

My Cars
    98 M3 Twinscrew, 07 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarfy View Post
    nice setup, is your quickjack a BL-5000SLX ? I am looking to get one if I don't buy a 4 post lift..
    Yup I forget if I have the extended version or not. My garage is a bit tight so it works perfectly in there.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Major props for using Kopr-Shield on the hub-centrics!

I can't put a wheel back on without it. Note, you won't need to reapply every time you remove/remount the same wheel__assuming it isn't 15 yrs later

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    Quickjack! How long has this been a thing? Would you recommend owning an air compressor for the quick jack setup? Good looking car. Best of luck.
    95m3t, 08 335i sedan