Thread: 06 x3 salvage title

My Cars
    1997 740il

06 x3 salvage title

I probably screwed up. I bought a 2006 x3 with front bumper cover damaged and was listed as flood damaged by Copart. ($1700 total) 115,000 miles, car starts with a boost on battery and drove it onto trailer to bring home. One question I have, Is it possible that a bad battery would cause issues with 4 wheel drive, power seats, mirrors, rear hatch wont open (locked?) etc. not working or more likely flood damage ruined important computer components? I do see some mud on seat rails but the seats and carpeting look pretty clean. Also the front section sunroof is gone so perhaps took some water before it was covered with plastic. Any input??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I would guess that the flood damage is responsible for the other electrical components not working. Did the ECU itself incur any damage?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Get a good battery in stalled clear all faults and recheck, flood damage who knows what has been effected.

My Cars
    1997 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Get a good battery in stalled clear all faults and recheck, flood damage who knows what has been effected.
    After charging the batt my inexpensive code reader showed only coolant code. I have a leak under car somewhere I can check today. I will also check the ECU to see if it got damaged. The car runs and drives but has huge tires (265-17) and perhaps that causes the grinding, clunking noises I am hearing. Thanks for your help.
    Jake

My Cars
    BMW
    Many times I've had guys buy cheap cars from places like Copart and they've solved a host of issues by checking fuses/relays/etc. Those type lots are infamous for people harvesting little things off car A to try to check on car B.

-James

My Cars
    1997 740il
    Yes I will do that when it gets a bit warmer. Hoping a bad fuse is the reason the rear hatch won't open. It's hard to understand why BMW doesn't have an inside latch to open rear gate in an emergency. Regards, Jake

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Hey if it keeps giving you problems and can't take it anymore, you would make a good amount of money just by parting the vehicle out. Hell, I'd probably buy a few things as well.

But, sorry I don't have any advice for you. Hell my X3 was garaged kept and I had to chase around lights and codes.

My Cars
    1997 740il
    I'm into this for $1800 total. Do you think I could make that back by parting it? It was a flood car and I don't know the extent of damage caused by water. It runs strong but has huge tires so I havent run it much. Are body parts etc of much value? doors etc.? What would anyone be interested in? Thanks for any input.

I just want to break even as I just bought a 99 750il I want to keep.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    If there's no mold in the interior and the drivetrain is still good, I'd probably fix it up. Did you make a list of what all needs replaced or repaired? 06 X3 with your mileage are going for 5-7k right now, so I'd probably see the cost of my parts list and if it doesn't exceed 4k, I'd probably fix it. The thing that sucks about parting it out is that it's going to sit on your property till you sell everything and if you don't, you have to haul it to the salvage yard again.

Up to you though. I wish you luck and if you do end up parting it, I might take a few things.

My Cars
    1997 740il
    thanks for the tips. With the salvage title I would guess the going rate to be less (after repairs and rebuilt title) But I do like the car and won't be making any hasty desisions at least until Spring when I can get some work done to it. 0 degrees today! Regards,Jake