Thread: LS3 E36 non M Axle Shaft Options

My Cars
    1998 323is lq4 swap

LS3 E36 non M Axle Shaft Options

So I'm looking at axle shaft options and I don't want to change everything to M3 RTAB and axles. So the E36 323i uses a Type 2 CV joint. Common on VW vehicles. I measured all the cv parts on the E36 and compared the measurements with the VW cv joints and they match up. The axle shaft is 20.25" long. So why cant I just use this kit https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...de=C13-16-2234 and just take apart the cv at the wheel bearing and stuff the new internals in the BMW stub. Then in the diff side I should be able to use the VW cv and bolt it on. Even the axles are much larger but still fit the small CV and chromoly. Has anyone done this?
    Last edited by mattwilson318; 12-31-2018 at 11:26 PM.

My Cars
    1998 323is lq4 swap
    Nobody eh?

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwilson318 View Post
    Nobody eh?
    Maybe try posting in the track subforum?

My Cars
    1998 328I
    i did a bunch of searching when trying to fix my broken axle problem and came up empty other than switching everything over to m3 rear end.... ended up not costing me all that much, i found someone locally that sold me everything for the rear(minus the diff) for something like 2-300 bucks, then i got dss axles and a 210mm diff in an attempt to bulletproof it as much as possible lol

interested to learn of other options though!

My Cars
    1998 323is lq4 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
    Maybe try posting in the track subforum?
    Ok will do

- - - Updated - - -

Hey if i could find a deal like that I'd probably switch over. You never came across the VW stuff eh?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Only a few have taken apart the axles and rebuilt them with new internals. I know someone who has done a bunch of M3 acles, but I don’t think he has done the non-M axles. I think he uses the 930 parts.

Many of us who drag race E36 with big power — 500+ lbs rwtq — on drag radials or R compounds have broken the diff output shafts on the 188mm diffs, even the M3 output stubs ones that are bigger than the non-M ones. After you break a few, you look for something sytinger. The 210mm diffs have stronger output shafts that still bolt up to the CV on the M axles. Have yet to read of someone breaking the 210mm diff output stubs. Of course if you are on street tires, you will probably be fine since you will be spinning off the line rather than hooking up. I have never broken anything in the street but have fused aftermarket non-ceramic clutches, broken 188mm diff output stubs, twisted stock driveshafts in two, and broken ZF320 transmissions at the strip.

My Cars
    1998 323is lq4 swap
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Only a few have taken apart the axles and rebuilt them with new internals. I know someone who has done a bunch of M3 acles, but I don’t think he has done the non-M axles. I think he uses the 930 parts.

Many of us who drag race E36 with big power — 500+ lbs rwtq — on drag radials or R compounds have broken the diff output shafts on the 188mm diffs, even the M3 output stubs ones that are bigger than the non-M ones. After you break a few, you look for something sytinger. The 210mm diffs have stronger output shafts that still bolt up to the CV on the M axles. Have yet to read of someone breaking the 210mm diff output stubs. Of course if you are on street tires, you will probably be fine since you will be spinning off the line rather than hooking up. I have never broken anything in the street but have fused aftermarket non-ceramic clutches, broken 188mm diff output stubs, twisted stock driveshafts in two, and broken ZF320 transmissions at the strip.
    Yea I don't want to start breaking output shafts. I won't be dragging the car. Street, Drift, track mostly. I'm going to buy this kit and just stick the internals into the wheel end stub then bolt up the diff end. We'll see how this goes and I'll report back!!

My Cars
    1994 E36 Sedan
    Any luck with the vw axles? I am currently in the same boat with breaking axles and looking to stay non m if i can