RM European Auto Parts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 01 E39 winding but no attempt to start where should I start?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I wasn't doubting your word; the pressures should have been the same, but it probably doesn't matter at this point, because you're getting enough pressure for the car to start. I don't need to see your old plugs, but if #6 was swimming, you have a valve cover gasket leak, and the coil boot is probably oil soaked, which will cause that cylinder to misfire.

What type of sparkplugs did you put in the car, exactly?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    Okay tested 4 of 6 cylinders for spark decided it was gonna be difficult to find a stable ground to sit it on
    Good news All definitely sparked
    Great news it started today
    But 3 out of 4 times it didn't
    When making the video the other guy asked for it started again so idk if that will give you what you were looking for , but while it was started I recorded the shaking noise that happens

- - - Updated - - -

All 4 had crud an smelled like gas
    The spark plugs are Bosch platnum FG7DQP+48

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Okay, good! Now...do you have a decent BMW specific scan tool?

Clear all the codes, and go drive the car hard. Don't get a ticket, Don't go too far from home on the first drive or two, until you're sure you'll get home again.

A hard drive, revving it, flat out, to ~6000 rpm in three gears in a row, a couple of times, will clear out the spark plugs, any oil or fuel fouling.

Then, drive it around at reasonable levels, for 3 miles or so, Shut it off, start it again, add another 3 miles....then come back and read the codes.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    That's kinda scary EVEN WITH THE SHAKING? I've Never revved it out in general even in my little highway races trying to give crossovers a chance but you say so

- - - Updated - - -

The fox well nt510

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You've got misfires. You've got fouled plugs...etc...etc.

The DME is going to shut down any cylinders that are badly misfiring anyway. Sure, if you feel that the car just can't do another mile....or if it's misfiring badly, and a check engine light comes on...Stop and read the codes, no need to proceed..

You can't fix it until you know the problems.

I'm not there to say "Okay, whoa, stop, something's seriously screwed up."

If you feel like something's seriously bad, do not do what I just said. Get the car to a BMW pro, and let HIM drive the car a mile or six. I can't possibly tell you what's wrong with the car, from 1500 miles away, I can only go by the information you provide.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    Update: doing it again, assuming misfire again .Going to replace vavle cover gasket thing. becausr I know cyl 6 is swimming in oil.

After I finished doing the above, the car seemed to have solved its issue. After revving the engine into high rpms as bmwdirtracer suggested it even seemed to have much more power than before

An addition to the info we have, I drove it while it was doing the shaking. It
    got worse the further I went from barely noticed able to cutting out power (not engine ) but all throttle gone at once so I pulled over an restarted an it died as soon as I touch the gas then after sitting for about 15 I used 1st to pull me around the corner back home

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs

running much better

Quote Originally Posted by Jharbertbmw View Post
    Update: doing it again, assuming misfire again .Going to replace vavle cover gasket thing. becausr I know cyl 6 is swimming in oil.

After I finished doing the above, the car seemed to have solved its issue. After revving the engine into high rpms as bmwdirtracer suggested it even seemed to have much more power than before

An addition to the info we have, I drove it while it was doing the shaking. It
    got worse the further I went from barely noticed able to cutting out power (not engine ) but all throttle gone at once so I pulled over an restarted an it died as soon as I touch the gas then after sitting for about 15 I used 1st to pull me around the corner back home
    LOL, that the age old "Italian Tune Up!", revving the hell out of engines with old fouled plugs and clogged carb. jets, ignitions back then had much weaker ignitions,like 1/4 the secondary voltage of modern systems.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    That video revealed a missing or disconnected ambient air temperature sensor.

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    Yeah my ambient temperature is crazy

325bob I guess so it's the first I've heard of it lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12