Thread: 2013 BMW X3 2.8 (N20 4-cyl turbo) DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.

2013 BMW X3 2.8 (N20 4-cyl turbo) DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!

Normally, I can fix anything, but this car has me so frustrated I'm about to set it on fire and call it a day.

Purchased a 2013 X3 2.8 (2.0L turbo) for the wife about 3 years ago with 60K on it. Her commute to work at the time was about 150 miles a day and figured it would be best to save the money on a car out of warranty, rather than a used one within warranty as she would surpass it by mileage fairly quickly.

About 4-6 months into owning it, we would occasionally get a message on the iDrive screen that stated "Drivetrain malfunction - reduced power drive carefully, reduced power" or some non-sense like that. The car would then drive like a regular 4-cyl without the turbo. No check engine light on the dash cluster. Once the car was shut off and restarted, the car would drive like normal. We did that for about a year or so as it was occasional.

I have a lead foot and my wife drives like a grandma, so we noticed it would happen much more frequently and sooner into our trips with me driving. So, I tried driving it slow, with very light throttle, staying in low RPMs before boost should come in, and noticed that the light took longer to kick on.

Over time, it has been occurring more frequently and with increased sensitivity - to now, where it comes on almost as we pull out of the driveway - at 102K miles. The car is slow as a dog and gets crappy gas mileage compared to what we used to get (used to get about 30mpg, now we get 19mpg). By the way, it was awesome that BMW announced the recall on the timing chain after we were already over the mileage....THANK YOU BMW!! ::

Got to the point where she needed tires, so I found a nice set of Factory M sport wheels with nearly new runflats for the same price as 4 new runflats would have been for the stock 2.8 wheels.

Only modifications I have done: Factory M sport 19" wheels, Aftermarket HID ballast and bulbs.

The car "feels" like it has no boost, but it also feels like a misfire, and it also feels like something in the drivetrain with some of the "bucking" at very slow speed. I am going insane trying to figure it out. Upon scanning the car, I only get one code - something about the boost pressure (I cant remember it off the top of my head, but will look it up again and update this thread). The car does run rich (black tail pipes), but doesnt smoke. Every BMW master tech friend that I know has looked at the car has absolutely no explanation and just tells me to sell the car, or throw parts at it.

So what have I done/found so far? The car was stating that the boost pressure was a problem. I checked the vacuum since the turbo is operated by vacuum. I found that the canister on the vanity cover was full of oil. I cleaned it out and cleared the codes. The car ran great for about 5 miles, then went into limp mode again. Checked the canister and found it filled with oil again. Noticed that there was no vacuum, so I thought I had found my issue.

I replaced the PCV diaphragm. No change. I retested and still was not getting vacuum. Verified the line to the canister was still filling with oil. Diagnosed a bad vacuum pump on the back of the motor. Replaced that, cleaned canister, cleared codes, car ran great again to the same exact spot (literally within 50 feet) where it went into limp mode the time before. I figured maybe the boost solenoid may had been fouled by the line containing oil. Replaced that, cleaned the line, cleared the code, no change. Havent done plugs or coils yet, but like I said, not getting misfire codes.

The car also stutters (feeling in the drivetrain) at slow speed when coasting/slowing to or accelerating from a red light. I have read that people have the actuator gears go bad in the transfer case, but have read that it comes with a "brake," "abs," and "4x4," light on the cluster, which I dont have. Is replacing the oil in the transfer case a waste of money at this point? Do I have to do an ecu clutch recalibration just to flush the fluid? is there a way that I can isolate that it is a faulty actuator or an internal clutch that has gone bad? If the car triggers a drivetrain malfunction light (presumably from a bad internal clutch), then there must be a sensor for this. If so, isnt it possible that the sensor is damaged or bad? Is the code for the boost independent of the drive train malfunction warning, or is once causing the other?

IM GOING INSANE!!! ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!! THANK YOU!
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Has a diagnostic scan been performed using BMW specific scantool/software?
    A generic OBD2 emissions scan tool can't communicate with the myriad of BMW computer modules contained in your vehicle,
    thereby not being able to extract the needed BMW specific codes from individual modules needed for diagnosis,
    specifically in your case the EGS or transmission module at the very least.

Btw, waiting a year to further investigate an occasionally recurring warning message isn't the most cost efficient way to save money,
    it's actually the long,slow path to a catastrophic failure,along with enormous repair costs!

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Has a diagnostic scan been performed using BMW specific scantool/software?
    A generic OBD2 emissions scan tool can't communicate with the myriad of BMW computer modules contained in your vehicle,
    thereby not being able to extract the needed BMW specific codes from individual modules needed for diagnosis,
    specifically in your case the EGS or transmission module at the very least.

Btw, waiting a year to further investigate an occasionally recurring warning message isn't the most cost efficient way to save money,
    it's actually the long,slow path to a catastrophic failure,along with enormous repair costs!
    yes, it was scanned by multiple master techs using bmw software. The only ECU code was that boost code that I referenced earlier (I will check it and reconfirm what it was exactly). the TCU code was something regarding undervoltage. They both recommended that I replace and register a battery. Battery was replaced with a new, genuine battery and registered. The car never had a problem starting or anything, but I did it anyway. No change. Also, I didnt let it go for a year, I was constantly trying to address the issue and throwing parts at it over that period of time. It was only at the beginning of our ownership that we let it slide because a malfunction was coming up very rarely. Once it started coming up with more frequency, I dealt with it accordingly.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Thanks, I get the picture now, strange how BMW master techs not able to pinpoint cause of problem.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Thanks, I get the picture now, strange how BMW master techs not able to pinpoint cause of problem.
    At this point, these guys just like to just throw parts at these cars. When the dealership is charging $200/hr and actually INCREASES as labor times increase, it can get expensive very quickly.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Has anyone checked the transfer case actuator motor drive gear

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Has anyone checked the transfer case actuator motor drive gear
    From everything that I read, when the transfer case actuator drive gear fails, the vehicle throws a ABS, Brake, and 4x4 error.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would recommend checking it considering all the other stuff that has been done, just to make sure.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I would recommend checking it considering all the other stuff that has been done, just to make sure.
    will do that. Thank you very much for the suggestion!
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    X3
    I have a 2013 2.8 with 99,000 miles and have the same symptoms. Engine power goes flat and get the drivetrain malfunction message. Can this be caused by carbon buildup on the intake valves similar to the 6 cylinder models? A walnut shell blast is used to clean off the intake valves. I called the dealer and they never heard of using that procedure on the 4 cylinder models. How involved is it to access the intake valves assuming I can purchase the walnut blast equipment?

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Sure sounds like timing chain problem. I replaced mine at 111,000 klms. The mechanic showed me the broken piece being held on by a bolt squeeze. Crazy. Runs fine now, though the oil level indicator failed a few thousand klms after. It was replaced too.