Thread: I have an X question - front/rear bias or disable

My Cars
    n/a

I have an X question - front/rear bias or disable

Ok, so I just signed up today on BF and am looking around your classifieds heavily and have a few questions along the way.

I came here because I have decided that I want a E90 (or is it a E91?) 328i Wagon.
    I'm really hoping to find a manual, but that's not very easy.

So my preference is a i model with a manual transmission, but I am seeing some X models, which, as I understand, and please correct me, is an AWD model.
    Im curious how the power is transferred front and rear, as far as, approximately, how much power goes to the rear vs to the front.
    Second question - can that be changed/modified?
    I ask that second question based on cars like the Mitsubishi Evo or STI etc which has adjustment for more rear or front power

Ok, last question in this initial post, and this one is an odd one: can the AWD be disabled?
    Again, Im basing this off of my japanese-car background where a car like the Skyline could have a fuse pulled and power would only be sent to the rear wheels.
    I know, thats a Japanese car, this is German etc etc etc, but, I think, it's a valid question.

Have been around Bimmers a lot, my close friend (and member here) has built a few of them (one was featured in Performance BMW, his Mcoupe) and I did a lot of wrenching on them, including his Mcoupe and E30.

I narrowed my car search down to just a couple of reasonable options - reasonable being affordable on my limited budget - and the e90/91 seems like the best choice. So I will scan your site on a daily basis hoping for the right vehicle to pop up and do a fly-and-drive back home to NC.
    I look forward to learning from you all on these cars

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by HMP View Post
    Ok, so I just signed up today on BF and am looking around your classifieds heavily and have a few questions along the way.

I came here because I have decided that I want a E90 (or is it a E91?) 328i Wagon.
    I'm really hoping to find a manual, but that's not very easy.

So my preference is a i model with a manual transmission, but I am seeing some X models, which, as I understand, and please correct me, is an AWD model.
    Im curious how the power is transferred front and rear, as far as, approximately, how much power goes to the rear vs to the front.
    Second question - can that be changed/modified?
    I ask that second question based on cars like the Mitsubishi Evo or STI etc which has adjustment for more rear or front power

Ok, last question in this initial post, and this one is an odd one: can the AWD be disabled?
    Again, Im basing this off of my japanese-car background where a car like the Skyline could have a fuse pulled and power would only be sent to the rear wheels.
    I know, thats a Japanese car, this is German etc etc etc, but, I think, it's a valid question.

Have been around Bimmers a lot, my close friend (and member here) has built a few of them (one was featured in Performance BMW, his Mcoupe) and I did a lot of wrenching on them, including his Mcoupe and E30.

I narrowed my car search down to just a couple of reasonable options - reasonable being affordable on my limited budget - and the e90/91 seems like the best choice. So I will scan your site on a daily basis hoping for the right vehicle to pop up and do a fly-and-drive back home to NC.
    I look forward to learning from you all on these cars

The 328xi Wagon is the E91.
    I had the 2010xi and loved it.
    The AWD was much better than I had expected.
    At least in the E91xi, I believe the bias is 55% rear, 45% front. (opposite to the Subaru Outback)
    I liked the bias. Didn't find odd tire wear or fuel consumption to be much different as a result. (have had 5 bimmers for comparison, 2 with AWD)

I know of no option to disable power to the front drive train, or to change the bias. (as you stated, I've also seen this on other vehicles)

May I ask why you are apposed to the xi vs i?

My Cars
    n/a
    I just dont know that I want AWD, think I'd prefer RWD.
    But it's not set in stone, I need to drive one