Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Radio keeps cutting out

My Cars
    2000 528i

Radio keeps cutting out

Hey Everyone, I have a 2005 BMW 645ci and the radio occasionally cuts out for a few hours. The computer seems to be functioning fine and you can even change the station on the radio But when it is out, you cannot hear anything. I am aware you can reboot the computer by holding in the radio power button and CD eject button but this rarely brings the sound back. It suddenly and for no reason I can ascertain, comes back on. Is my car haunted by malevolent electronic poltergeist? Anyone heard of this or have any advice?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    It sounds like the amp is the issue. The amp may believe it’s overheating or it may have a bad solder joint. Modern electronix are made with lead-free solder. That makes the solder less flexible. A result can be one or more bad solder joints that come from the innumerable vibrations experienced by the amp.

Also note that the amp has 12VDC at all times. The head unit supplies a continuous 12VDC “turn on” signal to amp to activate it. That signal could be dropping out.

Go to www.newtis.info to find the wiring diagrams. I would make sure the amp has not ever suffered water damage. When the amp cuts out check for presence of the 12VDC turn on signal. If it’s there then the amp will have to be removed and inspected for one or more bad solder joints. Bad solder joints can be repaired by adding a bit a fresh solder to the joint.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 645ci
    Hi,

I experienced the same issue a few weeks ago. From Jan 6, 2022 and mysteriously started to work again on February 10, 2022. The car is inside the garage. Rarely driven...most 200 miles a year.

I had replaced the amplifier in the past as the mechanic told me that was the issue. Now I don't even know if that was true or not.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330I 3Series
    hello, im having same issue no sound. found amp in water though.. and no yellow light on inside. optics all work.. i took apart and cleaned everything and re in stalled but still no light. will flat out replacing solve my issue?> i have power coming into it on the last two wires from the amp harness plug. i believe its grey and red. 12v. no blown fuses. i dont want to drop 200$ on a new one or search scrap yards for another 3series to seal one from unless i know this is the issue.. most of the stuff ive seen pointed to a bad optic or module. i only have the tcm and the amp. also i should note the the stereo is not the original. is there another wire in that plug to the amp that supplies a on signal i need to test still or is the amp just smoked /> thanks for any help