Thread: E32 750iL power steering and brake problem - solved

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)

E32 750iL power steering and brake problem - solved

Hi
    i have a 1988 750iL that has developed a problem whereby the power steering has gone (after groaning for a few miles) closely followed by the brakes about half a mile after.

ive read some previous info Shogun has posted and checked my power steering reservoir today. I could hardly see any fluid so poured a litre of Febi 7.1 equivalent in. The level just sat over the metal mesh insert but was still bubbling.

I fired up the car and the fluid practically disappeared. Is this normal as it pumps around the system?

either way as soon as I turned the wheel (very heavy) or pressed the brake the groaning noise reappeared.

do I just need more fluid or do we think there is a problem?

i don’t want to muddy the waters here but maybe worth me mentioning that a little while ago (time not mileage I suppose) I had my EDC and SLS deleted due to damper failure. the same time I had a new brake pressure cylinder fitted and a new brake bomb. As You can’t buy the V12 bomb unit I had a six cylinder one (new) modified to fit by my garage.

the car has been good as gold since until this issue.

i can keep throwing 7.1 in there and see what happens but pointless if it’s clear it’s something else?

will try and upload a video and post it here....

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    You clearly have air in the system. You need to keep topping off the reservoir. But since the work was done a while ago, you have to ask where the air is entering from and where the fluid is going.

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    You clearly have air in the system. You need to keep topping off the reservoir. But since the work was done a while ago, you have to ask where the air is entering from and where the fluid is going.

Would the fluid not just be getting sucked into the system hence the drop in level?

do we think air is getting in because the fluid looks ‘bubbly/foamy’ or for some other reason?

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    Well you mentioned that a while ago you had that work done. The system would have been bled then. Even running the car for a matter of 30 scones would have drained the reservoir and resulting in noise if its that low. So a fluid level issue would have been noticed rather quickly. Something has changed.

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)
    Quote Originally Posted by unity View Post
    Well you mentioned that a while ago you had that work done. The system would have been bled then. Even running the car for a matter of 30 scones would have drained the reservoir and resulting in noise if its that low. So a fluid level issue would have been noticed rather quickly. Something has changed.
    Ah, sorry I see what you mean.

I will have a look underneath for signs of the fluid escaping.

Does the system need bleeding once I’ve taken the reservoir cap off?? I’ve introduced air into the reservoir but not thinking that’s an issue here..?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Does not matter when you take the reservoir cap off. Bleeding is done with the engine running and turning the steering wheel 3-4 times left and right, then re-check the reservoir again if it needs re-fill. Does not matter if the cap is on or not during this procedure, as the out-port from the Pentosin container is at the bottom, and the Pentosin container lid has anyway a small breather hole.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/493140/
    Last edited by shogun; 12-31-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Does not matter when you take the reservoir cap off. Bleeding is done with the engine running and turning the steering wheel 3-4 times left and right, then re-check the reservoir again if it needs re-fill. Does not matter if the cap is on or not during this procedure, as the out-port from the Pentosin container is at the bottom, and the Pentosin container lid has anyway a small breather hole.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/493140/
    hi Shogun
    thanks for that, that makes sense I suppose.

any ideas on my issue? All suggestions gratefully received!

thanks

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The first youtube shows that you have not enough fluid in the system. That of course sucks also air. With running engine it must be 25mm under the top edge of the reservoir
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...0Reservoir.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...oir%20Fill.jpg

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    The first youtube shows that you have not enough fluid in the system. That of course sucks also air. With running engine it must be 25mm under the top edge of the reservoir
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...0Reservoir.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q...oir%20Fill.jpg
    thanks Shogun. I have some more 7.1 arriving today so should be able to fill and see where we get to then.....fingers crossed.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    7.1 Pentosin is no longer available or terrible expensive from old stock. Instead of that CHF 7.1 you can use Febi Bilstein 6162, available on Ebay U.K. for £7.95 lowest price, Free postage
    Febi Bilstein 6162 Hydraulic Oil, that even can be mixed with Pentosin CHF 7.1

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)
    Hi, thanks for that. It’s the Febi 6162 I’ve been buying actually, although it does say 7.1 on the packaging.

ive found the problem. It’s a leaking hydraulic line at the rear of the car. I found a pool of 7.1 on the floor when the car was running!!!

hoping to get the line capped off/repaired this next week.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    febi bilstein 06162 is Hydraulic oil mineral based and compatible with Pentosin CHF 7.1mineral oil based, which is no longer avalaible. equivalent to BMW 81229407549 = CHF 7.1 Hydraulic Fluid.
    Get the hoses re-crimped. But notice that the original hoses are designed for 180 bar incl. some safety margin, actuall pressure can reach 130-140 bar there. So you need high pressure hydraulic hoses.

My Cars
    Oct '88 E32 750iL (RHD)
    Ok, so it’s now all sorted. I thought I’d post up to thank those that assisted and also for future peoples search purposes.

A series of new lines (when they dealt with the first leak it just started leaking elsewhere), and new blocking/capping of the pipes sorted it. The old girl is now back to full fitness.