Thread: Hmm ... bushings were not cause of seat wobble. Is there an obvious next step?

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8

Hmm ... bushings were not cause of seat wobble. Is there an obvious next step?

I yanked out the drivers seat and replaced the bushings with the delrin ones.

Bolted seat back in and whaddaya know ... it still rocks.

I have a couple of things to tidy up before I yank it back out. I was just planning on strapping it to the workbench and rocking it while I explored with a flash light.

Are there any obvious other fault points? All 4 bolts are tight and the bushing replacement procedure went exactly according to the book.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    The issue is recognized, but never definitively resolved. Maybe you'll have better luck and can help the rest of us. Here's the discussion.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...=sliding+seats

Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe
    There's also plastic tabs at the front of the rails as a bushing for the tongue-and-groove. They fell out on my seats. After I replaced them (and the bushings), it's much better.
    Part number is 52108407659, 2 per side.
    I can get some pics of where they live when I get to a computer.
    Last edited by scenturion; 12-30-2018 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Thanks for those links. I got the passenger side rebuilt this weekend and that one does not rock an inch with the new delrin bushings, so no issue there.

As soon as I get my glove box back in I'll move back to the drivers side. I'll keep an eye out for a place to put a penny or a place to put that clip you linked to scenturion.

I'll report back.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe
    Ah yes, the pennies take up the slack in the bushings when they wear out. If they bushing is in there, it wouldnt hurt to jam a penny or other coin in there to space it out. If there's no sign of the plastic bushing, youve got metal on metal contact in the tongue and groove there.

IMG_20180813_182400.jpg

IMG_20180813_195238.jpg

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Scenturion: Do you remember off the top of your head how the seat attaches to the frame? Is it just a normal bolt?

I had my wife rock it back and forth while I was staring at the frame. The odd thing is there doesn't seem to be just one failure point, instead the whole thing seems "wiggly". Perhaps I can solve most of it with attacking it at the point where the frame attaches to the seat.

I'm dangerously close to just pulling the trigger on Corbeau seat brackets. The big question just becomes: Can they attach to the stock seats??

https://corbeau.com/bmw-z3-seat-brackets.html

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe
    There's one bolt on the back of each rail. You remove the bolt and slide the rail rearward and it should pop out of the groove. you don't need to disassemble any of the electronics (see my picture above), but be careful.

Edit: the bolt at the back of each rail must be removed
    Last edited by scenturion; 01-10-2019 at 05:15 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    ... close to just pulling the trigger on Corbeau seat brackets.... Can they attach to the stock seats?...
    Corbeau says...
    "Corbeau brackets are designed specifically for Corbeau seats and will not work with any other seat brand."
    https://corbeau.com/master-seat-brackets
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Still undecided. I'll hopefully have the trunk and all the musical stuff together this weekend and I can tackle this.

My Cars
    1988 325is
    Attached pics show two bolts with yellow paint near the back corners. The second pic shows the part where the seat slides into the seat rail. There's one on each side. Those four points (two bolts, two slides) are the only attachment points between the seat bottom and seat rails.

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg