Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero vacuum in my crankcase.. No Check engine light.

My Cars
    e46 325i

Zero vacuum in my crankcase.. No Check engine light.

Hello, 2005 325i Auto

So just started happening the other day from a cold start. Something was making a slight whistle sound when starting from a cold start then goes away when warmed up.. Not sure if it's part of the problem(could be a entirely different problem!).. But I noticed that there is basically zero vacuum from the oil cap and dipstick(There was a good amount before this situation). I changed the oil dipstick gasket , oil filter housing gasket, drain hose on going from the bottom of the CCV to the dipstick a few months ago and it's been running fine till the other day. Also there is a notable loss of power/Acceleration.. and another thing is that the MPG seems worse.. and the gauge is a bit delayed when accelerating. I press the throttle and it doesn't move for about a few seconds then jumps to 12. If anyone has any ideas for me to check out please let me know! I'm leaning towards changing the entire CCV since I do not know if that has ever been done.

Any possible feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Anthony
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 12-29-2018 at 02:34 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3

The whistle sound on cold start-up should be the Secondary Air Pump (SAP), which could have a failing bearing. You should be getting a CE or stored ‘code’ if this is failing.

I don’t know what car you have but here is an example of the pump -
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3515

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2188

If you have a failing pump, it is generally due to a failing or failed vacuum check valve.

How many miles on your car? Any CE/stored ‘codes’? O2 sensors have a 100K miles life. The primary sensors control mixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 12-29-2018 at 06:18 AM.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Hey thank you very much for the response. Yeah I was reading up on the secondary air pump yesterday! It whistles till the car is warmed up! and little no NO VACUUM in the crankcase?.. NO CODES... bought the vehicle used when I moved across country from PA to Oregon. Vehicle has 170k miles :-/ as for CE stored codes I bought a little ODBII scanner and it doesn't even work for the vehicle. I do have a garage here I could call to see if they can do compression test and check everything out. Then I can DIY whatever it needs. I'm going to test the air pump today should have some blow and suction action from one hose and other. Would you conside deleting the secondary air pump? I was checking a few videos out like that.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into buying a used older 325i But I really do love the vehicle considering. I'll see if I can record a little video of the sound later.

why is there no vacuum in the crankcase? Loss of power, bad MPG.
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 12-29-2018 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Changed the oil O ring again had oil seeping out. Bottom of the Vanos line also had some fresh oil.. not sure if that's just not tight enough or not. Checked the Secondary air pump and it started for about 4 seconds damn loud without the hose on there. Wish I knew what the hell was going on so I can fix this thing.
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 12-30-2018 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Here are a list of Oregon BMW CCA Chapter supporters that also offer discount on repairs. Typically these guys know BMWs but charge close to dealer pricing with more value for your money.
    As a Chapter member you get the discount listed.
    http://bmworegoncca.com/resources/discounts/

I believe Peake Research makes a BMW specific reader you might consider.
    However, if you are computer savvy there is a software called INPA that you can load on to a laptop and attach with a special cable and interrogate the ECU more throughly.
    Software can be found on internet for free or eBay with the cable for ~ $30.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    Take a video of the sound post it on YouTube and then link it here.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Yeah thank you for the reference. I did find a shop that works solely on BMW, Mercedes, minis. I’m going to take it In there so they can give me a write up on what the issue is hopefully. I’ll see if I can get a nice little video today.
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 12-30-2018 at 01:00 PM.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

I'd be more inclined to look for a broken hose from the intake manifold

Quote Originally Posted by Anfernyxxx View Post
    Hello, 2005 325i Auto

So just started happening the other day from a cold start. Something was making a slight whistle sound when starting from a cold start then goes away when warmed up.. Not sure if it's part of the problem(could be a entirely different problem!).. But I noticed that there is basically zero vacuum from the oil cap and dipstick(There was a good amount before this situation). I changed the oil dipstick gasket , oil filter housing gasket, drain hose on going from the bottom of the CCV to the dipstick a few months ago and it's been running fine till the other day. Also there is a notable loss of power/Acceleration.. and another thing is that the MPG seems worse.. and the gauge is a bit delayed when accelerating. I press the throttle and it doesn't move for about a few seconds then jumps to 12. If anyone has any ideas for me to check out please let me know! I'm leaning towards changing the entire CCV since I do not know if that has ever been done.

Any possible feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Anthony

SAP normally pumps air into the exhaust system to minimize emissions. CCV could be leaking or cracked, but still...vacuum comes from intake manifold; at idle you should have tons of vacuum.. That big a vacuum leak should be audible. You can also try bleeding propane around the plastic bits and see if engine rpm picks up...make sure the torch doesn't like the propane.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    so I was testing yesterday there isn't a ton of vacuum but there is enough vacuum to suck in a plastic bag when I put it up to the oil fill... Maybe I'm overreacting? No codes at all.. Before there was a TON of vacuum... now it's fine? I changed the oil filter housing gasket and O ring maybe that was part of the huge vacuum from before? Also the whistling sound stopped? This thing is driving me insane.. I'm most likely going to change out the entire CCV. not sure if it has ever been changed. Car has 170k miles on it.

Another thing is.. I'm damn sure that the water pump and possibly a few pulleys are fried. I've posted a video.

I appreciate you all for any reference you've replied with. Thank you.

Just how the engine sounds.. That rattle is driving me nuts. Sorry about the bad videos I'm no camera man/Director https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfZRs6ekj1U

Another random video You can hear the engine better.. I started the vehicle and checked that the SAP was on it was.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0zVE1p7Hp0
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 12-31-2018 at 02:20 PM.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Yeah so I'm going to order a CCV cause yeah.. that just needs changed most likely.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    Sounds like a bad bearing on a pulley. You could remove the belts and then spin the pulleys.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Any chance a CCV can get unstuck?? Cause the suction on the crankcase is just enough to pull a plastic bag in the oil fill. Super vacuum I was reading is when the CCV is broke or clogged correct?

Yeah took all the pulleys off they are completely destroyed lol. Installing new Water pump today also that has a pulley. As for the Whistle type sound.. it doesn't seem to be doing it again and um.. Yeah guess I can keep replacing other things till that whistle part fails completely. Gutted the entire coolant system! It was all leaking on just about every plastic part :P

I appreciate everyone who is responding giving me things to look into!
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 01-01-2019 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Dissemble the tensioners and lube the pivot.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Yeah put new pulleys on and did a complete coolant system overhaul.. MAN THE E46 COOLANT SYSTEM IS GARBAGE... It's absolutely awful even putting in new parts it was awful. damn coolant all over the place. Smoke coming from the belts had to hose it all down. Absolutely needs more purging tomorrow. But damn.. what a experience. Haha!

My Cars
    E21, E46

Good. These items you are replacing are crap. BMW for some reason loves to use plastic parts.

I replaced all my plastic parts with metal versions of the parts.

You should replace the ccv system if it is bad. You can get kit on ecstuning.
    Last edited by RobertDenali; 01-06-2019 at 12:11 AM.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Thank you for the reference. Yeah I did the oil filler cap checking for severe vacuum and there is Just enough to pull the paper on the oil fill hole. Checked the oil dipstick with the glove trick worked fine. Before the line from the bottom of the CCV to oil dipstick was broken replaced that and the vacuum is fine now. I will be replacing the CCV system next for sure no idea when the last owner if at all changed anything.. things are looking all stock.. guy didn't do any maintenance. He sold me the car then blocked my phone number! I guess cause the car had leaks. What a joke of a man.

My Cars
    E21, E46

He didn't do the maintenance is why he blocked you or he bought it and then realized all the maintenance work due after taking it to a shop.

It's not anything difficult just replace the whole coolant system, belt pulleys, ccv system and change all fluids everywhere.

Also I would highly recommend the metal pulleys from ecstuning. Plastic pulleys are a major weak area on these cars.

I am glad you are able to sort out the car. They are fun to work on and not too difficult.

Once you get those items addressed you will have a very reliable car. Then just do standard maintenance.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Yeah he had the "check engine light" turned off before he sold it to me also!!! I do really love the vehicle though. If I couldn't DIY a lot of things it would be a nightmare and a ton of money. I'm currently purging the air out of the coolant system.. little tricky but I think I've almost got it solid.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    The e46 series is one of the best built 3 series ever by BMW. You made the right decision. Get it sorted and then have fun with it.

People have given BMW Bavarian motor works many different names:

Bavarian money waster
    Brought my wallet
    Brought my wrenches

I personally live by brought my wrenches. The cars are fairly affordable if you have wrenches.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Here is the sound of the engine after installing new coolant system and idler pulley, tension pulley, water pump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Viz1bk858tY Sounds a lot better after those parts were replaced. I assume I need to just replace everything I can slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0FYd28uX98 This is the sound that I'm not sure if it's normal or what.. Sounds like a cold air intake or something? Any ideas. Maybe it was just cold hm? It did seem to change once it warmed up a bit.

Yeah I really do love the vehicle. Any ideas about the sounds of the engine?
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 01-02-2019 at 10:02 PM.

My Cars
    E21, E46
    I will listen to your video when I get home.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Can anyone give me some feedback on how my engine sounds? Those two videos above this post. I recently also ordered a New Disa Valve O ring.. mine is crushed flat :P

My Cars
    E21, E46
    Sorry been busy working on my cars and your videos wouldn't play on my iPhone for some reason.

Maybe you have subtle lifter noise based on both videos.

Your second video sounds like you have excessive air coming in from somewhere around the air filter box however when i get my e46 off of the lift I can check mine as it is meticulously maintained and up to date.

Check codes to see if you are getting lean codes.

Also check to ensure your air filter box, maf, air hoses are all secure.

My Cars
    e46 325i
    Yeah not getting any codes. No check engine light actually wish there was so I can fix it. I just ordered a new Disa Valve O ring because my current one is completely flat. I can feel a slight loss of power when driving it's not the same as it was before.. before it was the CCV drain line to dipstick and dipstick O ring causing Lean codes. Fixed all that car was running great for 6 months now this. I can't seem to hear that whistling noise again.. hasn't done it since one morning a few weeks ago. I'll record on startup for awhile to try and catch that noise.

I'm also thinking I want to take off the intake manifold.. If I do that the CCV is being replaced with Manifold gaskets and distributor O rings, upper and lower intake boots
    Last edited by Anfernyxxx; 01-06-2019 at 02:54 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I agree that some sort of intake leak/noise is present.
    A smoke test of the intake system with a professional smoke machine is the only reliable way to confirm the presence and location of intake leaks.
    The sound is most noticeable in the area of the CCV,DISA, and Rubber Intake Boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast