Thread: Warehouse of brand new E34s with 0 miles discovered

My Cars
    1989 535i

Warehouse of brand new E34s with 0 miles discovered

Saw this curious news story and thought it was worth sharing on here:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ffakt i.bg%2Favto%2F352133-u-nas-nameriha-11-chisto-novi-bmw-ta-ot-1994-a

They're all 1994 520s and 525s and will be sold at auction at some point. Anyone want a brand new E34?

My Cars
    E34 535i Sport, E60 545i
    Auction them on Ebay so I can Import one to Mauritius

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The missing gas door made me laugh.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    various
    Meh.... 520's an 525's.. not particularly desirable. The amount of work required to get them drivable won't be fun.

I wonder what the back story is. Corrupt communist party official buys them for his private collection? Or is this more fake news....

My Cars
    1991 750iL+ 2008 535xit6
    AFAIK a rental car company bought them and went out of business.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Wow. At this point they need full suspension rebuilds and many other rubber parts replaced, but a lot of components should be pristine. I see a black hardtop Touring Stock engines may not be desirable but there's a lot of swap options. The only dealbreaker would be rodent damage, and even that won't stop some people from bringing one back to life.

My Cars
    m5s
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    The only dealbreaker would be rodent damage
    It would be interesting to see the damage to the electrical system, varmint, age or otherwise. Im sure anyone looking for a brain-damage inducing project would not be disappointed in one of these rigs - E34s always deliver in this respect. Still, the end result would be a "0" mileage 525 or 520, big deal.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Not knowing the storage conditions it's impossible to speculate about condition.
    Fleet cars so will be strippers, especially over there. Curious to see the selling prices.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Not knowing the storage conditions it's impossible to speculate about condition.
    Fleet cars so will be strippers, especially over there. Curious to see the selling prices.
    Well none of them have sunroofs including the estate one, so that's already something worthwhile. The bodies themselves would also have not so much as a stone chip at all, no exposure to UV rays and potentially no rust at all since they've been kept indoors.

If they went for cheap then people could just remove the engines and put something more powerful in them. Less features on the cars also means there's less that is broken.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - 122K - No muffler, BMS Stage 1
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8-Her stock DD
    1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 V8 LX - A bunch of mods BMW guys don't care about
    1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Brillstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, supersprint exhaust, UUC short throw

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
    Checking the two VINs that could be seen on documents I see both are Spanish versions.
    Cars are in Romania? Odd, no?

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5 Xdrive50i
    maybe they were brought in from Spain?
    2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - 122K - No muffler, BMS Stage 1
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8-Her stock DD
    1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 V8 LX - A bunch of mods BMW guys don't care about
    1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Brillstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, supersprint exhaust, UUC short throw

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
    maybe they were brought in from Spain?
    Which implies unorthodox purchasing channels.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    It may be possible that there was no dealerships in soviet Bulgaria in 1990

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Oh yeah, and I would also expect that certain folks needed their palms greased.
    The story would be very interesting to know. I'd bet these were hidden rather than stored.
    A have a story about how "imported" cars could be registered in east block back in those days; One of my clients in those days was one of the big car rental outfits at O'Hare airport. My contact was the fleet buyer who bought around 4000 cars/year for the fleet. They are also self insured so any stolen are pursued with vigor. They usually turned up in the rougher neighborhoods of Chicago, seldom in good condition.
    My buyer got a call from CPD informing them that a stolen one had somehow been located in Russia! Seems a local gangster had acquired the car and it was, according to local authorities, legally registered. It was still wearing the Illinois license plates and Chicago city sticker, apparently a status symbol amongst red gangsters. Supposedly the new "owner" had said something to the effect of "come and get it".
    Last edited by ross1; 01-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Oh yeah, and I would also expect that certain folks needed their palms greased.
    The story would be very interesting to know. I'd bet these were hidden rather than stored.
    Who knows. If it was cars for "special" people - they wouldn't be base cars.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Who knows. If it was cars for "special" people - they wouldn't be base cars.
    See my edited post above

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    a stolen one had somehow been located in Russia! Seems a local gangster had acquired the car and it was, according to local authorities, legally registered. It was still wearing the Illinois license plates and Chicago city sticker, apparently a status symbol amongst red gangsters. Supposedly the new "owner" had said something to the effect of "come and get it".
    It gets better now in Russia, but there is many other countries where it is real even today.

Stolen cars get second life pretty easy, all VINs get replaced, etc. Did you even hear about matching engine # to VIN here in US? In Russia you can't even register car if VIN not legible and matching engine. And VIN plate will be examined very carefully to make sure it's not welded into other frame.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Supposedly the new "owner" had said something to the effect of "come and get it".
    I imagine the case was dropped at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    It gets better now in Russia, but there is many other countries where it is real even today.

Stolen cars get second life pretty easy, all VINs get replaced, etc. Did you even hear about matching engine # to VIN here in US? In Russia you can't even register car if VIN not legible and matching engine. And VIN plate will be examined very carefully to make sure it's not welded into other frame.
    Nothing a few C-notes can't fix.

Anyone done a lien sale? I did a couple. All US states that I've bothered to check, and I'm sure many other countries, have a similar process. While I did check with police if the vehicles were stolen, and did put bona fide effort into finding the owners, apparently this was not required. The relative ease and modest paperwork burden of that process suggested that it would've been quite possible to get away with a far shadier situation.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Nothing a few C-notes can't fix.
    Nope. It's different now. It's not 1990s anymore. Before there was no car insurance industry in Russia. Now it is like here in states. And this simple capitalism item fixed those issues. Now that insurance companies paying - this is who does work finding stolen cars, preventing illegal (bribes) registration and so on. Makes sense, right? Because you can't bribe insurance company, it's a business and they are loosing money.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    [QUOTE=moroza;30178610]I imagine the case was dropped at that point?

They knew they it was futile to pursue.

Cars would be rented out with bogus ID etc. and sometimes would be driven as their own until spotted. Typically CPD, who was friendly and knew where to look, would call them and say when they found a missing car and then they would just go fetch it. God knows how this one was located. At least they got an interesting story.