Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Put money into my Estoril 3/4/5 or sell and get an E92 M3...

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    I always try not to daily the m3, but honestly, once its put away for a week, even just being stuck in traffic in it feels good.
    +1 I just had mine under the knife for about a month and the first drive out of the garage was magical.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    00 Maxima SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    Hey guys. I’ve had my M3 for about 6 years now. Bought it with 192k miles and it now has just over 220k miles. Mechanically the car has been excellent. The worst thing I had happen was the plastic clips holding the driver window on the frame broke. It was less than a $200 fix at a shop. Also when below freezing the drivers door won’t latch closed. Greasing it helps. The clutch/transmission and engine are in great shape. It really does run and drive great. I even instructed at a track day (road course) and the car was an absolute pleasure on the track. Didn’t miss a beat. I absolutely love the car.

So here’s the real issue. The interior needs to be replaced. The door cards are beat up from 2 owners ago, the leather seats need to all be recovered, and the headliner is coming down. I would also get a new drop in carpet and dynamat while the seats are out.

So we’re probably looking at $5k? That’s how much I paid for the car 6 years ago. The body is in decent shape along with the paint and there is no rust.

If I were to keep it I would someday do an LS1 (maybe LS2 or 3) with T56 swap. Then I’d have a fresh interior and a super simple and reliable LS engine. But the chassis would still have a ton of miles. I just don’t know if this makes sense.

Ive been really thinking about E92 M3. It’s a lot of car for the money but the complexity of that car is something that I don’t like.

The other option would be starting looking for another low mile Estoril 3/4/5 that’s in much better shape, but I’m not sure it’s worth the premimum I’d be paying for a car like that.

I’d love to hear your thoughts! Thanks guys!

I honestly think this isn't a fair comparison and it really depends a lot of factors. IF you can afford E92 M3, I don't see a reason why you need to get rid of E36M. For a couple of Gs, I would keep it in the garage and toy with it (if you have room for it).

For me, If I can only have one car to choose from, I'd go with E36M, simply from the perspective of lower cost starting point and ownership compared to E92M, and honestly I would never reach to the performance limit of the E92M can provide anyway. Dropping a sub 25K on a decent E92M is the easy part, the years of headaches and repairs are the the hard part.
    FEEDBACK THREAD
    00-03 Nissan Maxima HID Retrofit
    6th gen AV6 FX35 Retrofit
    Chassis and Suspension
    2011 Space Grey E82 N55 DCT
    2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima SE 5Spd.
    1997 Arctic Silver E36 M3/4/5.
    1997 Techno Violet E36 M3 Coupe 5Spd (SOLD).

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    DCT. 2011 E90 Competition Pack, Gray with Fox Red extended leather interior. No sun roof. Special order car. Beautiful. I was very sad to see it go. But a waste in the way I was able to drive it. The E90/92 M3 wants to GO. 6 months of the year it is wet, cold, dark, which makes terrible Seattle traffic even worse. My 10 mile each way commute was 95% of my driving. Finally said screw it. On nice sunny days I regret it. Right now it is cold, dark & wet.
    Man, I really don't find driving a stick in traffic to be the horrid experience everyone else seems to think it is.

And I have poly motor and tranny mounts and a lightweight flywheel.

At the very least it gives you something to do. You're never just commuting if you have a stick - you're always driving.

It always comes back to the supermodel analogy for me.

I'm driving that thing every day to work and on every grocery run.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    When I was young I did not mind either. Do it enough and the stick gets old. Definitely gives you something to do with the other arm and a leg, though.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    The only time I don't absolutely love the stick is on the track. I certainly see the benefits there of a DCT/paddles, rev matching, etc... since there are so many other things to focus on other than trying to get your shifts perfect and fast, especially on downshifts under braking unless you're a heel-toe expert which I'm not. I don't really drive my car in traffic on the street very much so that isn't an issue for me.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    are slow.
    So I own a house, it's about 250k. I don't like the floors or bathrooms. It will cost me about 30k to redo all of the tile, bathrooms, and the wood. I think I might just sell the house and buy a 1.2 million dollar house with what I want in it.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    So I own a house, it's about 250k. I don't like the floors or bathrooms. It will cost me about 30k to redo all of the tile, bathrooms, and the wood. I think I might just sell the house and buy a 1.2 million dollar house with what I want in it.

lol, double or triple that, unless you are doing all the work or use homedepot materials. We just redid 1 bathroom. $62,000 later... Heck, redoing our kitchen 5 years ago was $172,000. Granted, it was a total gut of kitchen, bath, and laundry room, but it really adds up. But it’s VERRRY Nicccce Lol

coulda had a Ferrari. Lol
    Last edited by RRSperry; 01-05-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I just renovated my barn into my garage. I could have had a used 997.2TT instead. But I like to work on cars and hope to buy a used 991TT in a few years.

My Cars
    4Runner/911
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
    Hey guys. I’ve had my M3 for about 6 years now. Bought it with 192k miles and it now has just over 220k miles. Mechanically the car has been excellent. The worst thing I had happen was the plastic clips holding the driver window on the frame broke. It was less than a $200 fix at a shop. Also when below freezing the drivers door won’t latch closed. Greasing it helps. The clutch/transmission and engine are in great shape. It really does run and drive great. I even instructed at a track day (road course) and the car was an absolute pleasure on the track. Didn’t miss a beat. I absolutely love the car.

So here’s the real issue. The interior needs to be replaced. The door cards are beat up from 2 owners ago, the leather seats need to all be recovered, and the headliner is coming down. I would also get a new drop in carpet and dynamat while the seats are out.

So we’re probably looking at $5k? That’s how much I paid for the car 6 years ago. The body is in decent shape along with the paint and there is no rust.

If I were to keep it I would someday do an LS1 (maybe LS2 or 3) with T56 swap. Then I’d have a fresh interior and a super simple and reliable LS engine. But the chassis would still have a ton of miles. I just don’t know if this makes sense.

Ive been really thinking about E92 M3. It’s a lot of car for the money but the complexity of that car is something that I don’t like.

The other option would be starting looking for another low mile Estoril 3/4/5 that’s in much better shape, but I’m not sure it’s worth the premimum I’d be paying for a car like that.

I’d love to hear your thoughts! Thanks guys!
    Sell M3, buy Kia Stinger, tune it, never look back.
    1988 911 - Carb'd - Twin Plug - 3.6
    1999 SL 500
    2016 4Runner TEP - Gone
    1995 M3 - LS2 - Gone
    1998 M3 - Gone
    1991 M5 - Gone
    1993 RS America - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
    Sell M3, buy Kia Stinger, tune it, never look back.
    Honestly not a bad idea. They make almost 500whp with a tune and meth injection.

New 4cyl Ecoboost mustang does 400-500whp with a tune and meth injection too.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    4Runner/911
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Honestly not a bad idea. They make almost 500whp with a tune and meth injection.

New 4cyl Ecoboost mustang does 400-500whp with a tune and meth injection too.
    420 at the wheels with just a tune.
    1988 911 - Carb'd - Twin Plug - 3.6
    1999 SL 500
    2016 4Runner TEP - Gone
    1995 M3 - LS2 - Gone
    1998 M3 - Gone
    1991 M5 - Gone
    1993 RS America - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    .... few have awesome commutes where it’s slways warm and sunny and they can drive 120 mph or fast on windy roads.
    I just saw this. Come visit, I'll show you some winding roads.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1996 M3 Coupe
    New interior for less than 2 grand sounds good to me. Be sure that the quality of the leather is better than the OEM stuff our cars got. On my Estoril, I would like to go with a dark gray, a bit darker than dove... Also, see if you can find a happy former customer. Where is this place? In N.C.?
    Last edited by Kraftwerk; 01-16-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12