Thread: Airbag light with INPA codes

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i

Airbag light with INPA codes

Hi All!

I’ve read all I can on the airbag light and now I need help on where to go next.
    Things I’ve done:
    Cleaned both the connectors (buckle and tensioner) with DeOxIt (which I didn’t know was even a thing until I read it on the forum.)
    Moved the one of the wires that was pinched between the seat and the seat frame when somebody reassembled it once upon a time. (PO replaced seat covers) I split the out covering at the pinch point and both interior wires seemed unharmed. Could they still be damaged inside the wire covering?
    The INPA report is below. I can clear them but they come right back.
    I see that the buckle/tensioner assy is no longer available new from BMW (please correct me if I’m wrong) and I’m worried that a used/eBay replacement might have the same problem. Can I unplug them and check voltage or continuity on the car side? What should I look for? Then I could at least narrow it down. I read that you shouldn’t electrical check the explosive charge wire but is there anything else I can do? Can I check the buckle electrically?
    Any help is much appreciated! Thanks all!

47B51212-EF4F-4529-A300-8614ED43A08C.jpg

My Cars
    99 M3
    Have you used the last seven of you VIN in www.realoem.com to determine you exact p/n requirements, as some of the receptacle p/n’s are still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    I checked again and found some interesting things.
    Real OEM shows 72118221013 as the driver (left) tensioner.
    It also shows that number being superseded by 72118413887.

ECS doesn’t even recognize the first number and the second number is NLA. (This is what I remember)

BUT....bmwdirectparts.com (huskerparts) shows both of them available, strangely it doesn’t show any use info on the first number, but it does say that the second one does NOT fit my car, it’s only for the ‘99 coupes and the 2000-2002 M’s.

Anybody else have any ideas before I drop 100 bones on a new one? I did notice that it doesn’t come with the connector for the explosive unit so I may still have an issue if I use the old wire.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    Was the airbag light on when you got the car from the previous owner? Do the wires that were pinched lead to the tensioner? If answers are yes to these questions, I’d suspect the pinched wires are broken. In any case it would be good to find the ends of those wires and any that run to the tensioner and check for continuity before spending big bucks for parts you may not need.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    Yes, its been on the whole time. The pinched wire was the one with 2 leads, which I think is the one for the buckle. The other one has 4 wires for the tensioner.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    Just an update for future searches: I replaced the tensioner with a new 72118221013. I reset the codes in INPA and the airbag light went off. Then after 5 minutes it went on again. Unplugged and replugged the wires, reset codes, light is off. Then drove for 10 minutes and the light is on again. Resistor too large. Reset codes again, and hasn’t been on for the last 3 ~10mi trips so i’ve got my fingers crossed that it stays off. I think I will replace the connectors with my own connectors if it does it again.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by sydjai View Post
    Just an update for future searches: I replaced the tensioner with a new 72118221013. I reset the codes in INPA and the airbag light went off. Then after 5 minutes it went on again. Unplugged and replugged the wires, reset codes, light is off. Then drove for 10 minutes and the light is on again. Resistor too large. Reset codes again, and hasn’t been on for the last 3 ~10mi trips so i’ve got my fingers crossed that it stays off. I think I will replace the connectors with my own connectors if it does it again.
    Thanks sydjai, I'd have to check to be sure but I think I have the same error code on my car. I'll probably have to replace mine as well.

Light still of?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i

Thumbs up

Yep it's still off!! Been using it as my DD all this week, knock on wood!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by sydjai View Post
    Yep it's still off!! Been using it as my DD all this week, knock on wood!
    Sweet!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I had to have Abel clear my SRS module (240 error code) over the winter.

Plugged it in and AB light was off. Let car sit for a few days, and after starting, AB light comes on. If I shut the car off and restart, AB stays off. If I drive the car every day, it seems like the AB light doesn’t come on. But if it sits, next time Imstart it, AB light comes on.

Will check the codes tonight to see if something is tripping the AB light.

Frustrating for sure.

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho322 View Post
    I had to have Abel clear my SRS module (240 error code) over the winter.

Plugged it in and AB light was off. Let car sit for a few days, and after starting, AB light comes on. If I shut the car off and restart, AB stays off. If I drive the car every day, it seems like the AB light doesn’t come on. But if it sits, next time Imstart it, AB light comes on.

Will check the codes tonight to see if something is tripping the AB light.

Frustrating for sure.

Greg
    Greg,

I had the same behaviour and the 240 code had returned. (No other codes). The temperamental return of the light on first startup was annoying. It went away always on the second startup. After removing the 240 code twice, I decided that the module was probably getting old. I purchased one from eBay, which I have had no further trouble with.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenet View Post
    Greg,

I had the same behaviour and the 240 code had returned. (No other codes). The temperamental return of the light on first startup was annoying. It went away always on the second startup. After removing the 240 code twice, I decided that the module was probably getting old. I purchased one from eBay, which I have had no further trouble with.
    thanks. I have a few more things to check ( haven’t pulled codes yet since I reset the module) and want to check/clean all 4 connectors under the seats.

Will keep eel my eyes open for a used module though, just in case.

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.0 manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho322 View Post
    thanks. I have a few more things to check ( haven’t pulled codes yet since I reset the module) and want to check/clean all 4 connectors under the seats.

Will keep eel my eyes open for a used module though, just in case.

Greg
    Cool, well if it is 240 again, sounds similar to my situation and whist the module probably works ok, the need to start the car twice in the morning and uncertainty about correct functioning was enough incentive for me to find a used module on eBay.