Thread: Bluetooth head unit

My Cars
    Z3

Bluetooth head unit

So I just bought a 2000 2.3 and I love it, but I don’t love not having Bluetooth or hands free. I have an aftermarket head unit currently with Bluetooth. My question is it a wire it in and go, or is there a factory amp that I have to deal with? I also noticed when searching there is an adapter to add the features to the factory unit, but since I already have the aftermarket head unit I would just like to use it.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I think that without replacing your radio with something newer (that’s what I did to get blue tooth and usb), your best bet is to get one of those BT to FM transmitters that plug into your cigarette lighter. You then set it to something like 88.5 and tune to it on your radio. Memorize it as one of the set channels and everytime you use your phone switch to that. Only problem with this, I have no idea if microphone on the phone would still work, probably not. Transmitter with do just that, transmit. It will not receive. And if you switch your phone to BT device, it will not let you use local mic. So, above solution would only work for playing music off your phone via BT and not using your phone. I don’t know if OE equipment has any hookup in the back for USB or BT module as mine never came with OE radio.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    There are units that connect to the cd changer wiring in the trunk.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    If your factory stereo is currently installed and working (ie the PO didn't cut the plug off the car) then just use one of these. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120708...e-Harness.html
    You wire your aftermarket heat unit to it and then just plug it into the car. You will still use the factory amp. Mine had an old, non-bluetooth aftermarket unit when I got it, but thankfully the PO had used the harness as well, so the factory plug was still there.
    If you have the security system in your car then don't forget to unhook the radio sensor switch in the dash or you will get the 3 chirps and it won't work.

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    Check Crutchfield or even Amazon for and adapter. As for steering wheel controls, I believe folks have added them, but it’s not common. You’d have to search.
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    00 Z3
    I purchased a plug into cigarette lighter (old school) adapter from GearBest.com that gives blue tooth capability via fm of radio. Paid $15.00 with shipping.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    A good aftermarket unit will have bluetooth built in. You'll just need to put a microphone somewhere. The wiring in these cars are simple, it's not a bad job.

No need to have an adapter sticking out of your cigarette lighter plug and broadcasting the signal through the air unless you refuse to swap the radio.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.