Thread: Looking to buy

My Cars
    Z3

Looking to buy

I am considering buying a 2000 z3. It’s $4500 and cosmetic it’s perfect, 102k miles. Couple questions.
    I am considering this one or putting a couple grand with it and getting a z4. My biggest concern is height. I’m 6’3” and when I drove it I was a little cramped. I am used to driving a full size truck though. Are the z4s any larger interior wise? Are these cars generally reliable, or am I buying a money pit? And what do I need to look for when buying?

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Look at the "Parked" threads at the top of the list of threads for this forum to find some advice about our cars and what to be aware of. I'm 6'4" and have put over 130k on my M Roadster including 10 trips from Denver to South Carolina for the Roadster Homecoming. It is a bit of a fit, but I'm as comfortable in my Z as I am in my 435i.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M-Roadster, 2007
    Essentially everything you need to know before purchasing a Z3 is discussed somewhere in this forum. A good starting point is the pre-purchase advise link: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...urchase-Advice.

I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. Like you, my other car is a truck. My Z3M is tight, but not uncomfortable. Getting in and out is not an exercise for someone who suffers from arthritis or sports injuries.

With regard to the "money pit" question... It IS almost 20 years old. What it will cost to maintain depends almost entirely on how well it has been maintained to date. Engines seem to be tough with the exception of overheating problems that can stem from catastrophic failures of the water pump or fan. The other big cost item is subframe failure. Make sure you check those spot welds.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Read up here on the most common repairs needed by almost all Z3s around 100k, make a checklist, then compare any potential purchase with this list, marking off things already done (proven by receipts!). Here's a partial list: Convertible top or window, shocks, water pump, radiator (etc), Vanos rebuild, clutch (some last much longer), brakes, Giubo, subframe bushings, tranny mounts, clutch hose, ..... ??? What else??? Tires: these cars rate good tires, which are expensive compared to the value of the car.