Thread: McLaren 570S v a gaggle of cars

My Cars
    M3, M5, Ferrari F40, Fer

McLaren 570S v a gaggle of cars

My friends constantly accuse me of driving a little 'quick', and am tough to follow when the road gets twisty. My CBBSCD (Carbon Based Biological Speed Control Device), otherwise known as my wife, likes to refer to driving with me as 'practice'. To me, I'll call it qualifying, but really I'm just going about my business.

Another beautiful Sunday had me heading to one of my favorite local roads. This one goes to a place called Canyon Lake and features 15 miles of sublime switchbacks, increasing and decreasing radius corners, elevation changes, short straights and stunning views. It has also just been repaved. Sounds perfect to me!

As I am heading ever closer to the best part of the drive, I pick off plenty of Sunday cruisers in the hopes that they will be gone by the time I get to the good stuff. After the last group of octogenarians is dispatched and I am able to pick up the pace, the Macca starts to stretch it's legs, and what a set of legs it has! I dial in 'track mode', to sharpen things up and loosen the electronic nannies.

Looking as far down the road as I can, I catch a glimpse of the next pack. It looks like it just might be a group of guys that may have the same idea as me. Leading the pack is a C6 Corvette, followed by current Mustang GT, then what appeared to be an Ariel Atom w/a huge rear wing (it could have been made in someone's garage for all I could tell), then a Porsche 944 and finally some sort of 2 door Lexus with a big exhaust. An interesting crew...... I'll just tag along...... I thought!

As I approach the tail end, there appears to be someone hanging out the top of the Vette, with a camera and a walkie talkie. It wasn't long after I was spotted (it's tough to hide an orange Macca), that the road gets good and they picked up the pace. Cool.... they want to have some fun!

Less than 5 minutes in, the first 3 cars were pulling away, leaving the Porsche and Lexus and me behind. After a few technical corners, I could smell the tell tale odor of brakes (they weren't mine). It wasn't long after that the Porsche and Lexus find a place to pull over and give the point by. I'm off for the fast guys! It wasn't long before the Vette, Mustang and that huge wing were within my grasp!

As I approached, I could tell that they were picking up the pace. This road has all the elements that makes a great road (or track). It didn't take but 5 minutes and all 3 decided to pull over and wave me through. I figured they just wanted to follow....... but they were gone after 3 corners. Not necessarily a 'kill', but more of a white flag!

The more I drive the McLaren, the more it shows itself to be a sympathetic partner when the roads get serious. When a car works with you, communicates and gives you confidence to push on, you know the engineers that executed this were serious enthusiasts. They may not be making great F1 cars right now, but they are on a serious roll with road cars!
    Last edited by Ingenere; 04-23-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Ciao....Dino
    M3.... tuned to 370 hp & delimited
    SL55 AMG... tuned to 550 hp & delimited
    Ferrari F40 (sold)
    Ferrari 348 Challenge... Tuned to 350 hp
    Ferrari Testarossa
    87 March/Cosworth Indycar
    Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale Incoming!!
    McLaren 570S (Track Pack)
    www.veloceperformance.com

My Cars
    e36 m3, turbo e36
    Oh how much I miss and love reading your stories! Whats in the stable currently these days?

-sold...replaced by turbo e36

My Cars
    M3, M5, Ferrari F40, Fer
    Thanks.

I just haven't had many challengers in the past few years. So, no good stories. It must be all the PC millennials that used to flex their testosterone are now afraid to offend anyone (or display their toxic masculinity) and would rather hunt for safe spaces than get into it on the road with an 'old guy'!

Let me check the garage.....

Current residents are:

SL55
    Ferrari Challenge Stradale
    Porsche Cayenne S
    Porsche 911 turbo

Ciao....Dino
    Ferrari F40 (sold)
    Ferrari Testarossa

My Cars
    MUSTANG
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
    Thanks.

I just haven't had many challengers in the past few years. So, no good stories. It must be all the PC millennials that used to flex their testosterone are now afraid to offend anyone (or display their toxic masculinity) a Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox nd would rather hunt for safe spaces than get into it on the road with an 'old guy'!

Let me check the garage.....

Current residents are:

SL55
    Ferrari Challenge Stradale
    Porsche Cayenne S
    Porsche 911 turbo
    As I approach the tail end, there appears to be someone hanging out the top of the Vette, with a camera and a walkie talkie. It wasn't long after I was spotted (it's tough to hide an orange Macca), that the road gets good and they picked up the pace. Cool.... they want to have some fun!
    Last edited by biliyasa; 09-29-2019 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Well McLaren as climbed on the F1 front this season, they start to be easy 7th and 8th and can almost stay in touch with Red Bull.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    M3, M5, Ferrari F40, Fer
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Well McLaren as climbed on the F1 front this season, they start to be easy 7th and 8th and can almost stay in touch with Red Bull.
    It's nice to see McLaren making a come back in F1. They are making some great road cars. I may be getting older, but I can't imagine needing more power. I think Mac underrates these cars. I downloaded an app called 'Draggy', and for the life of me couldn't get it to work. However, it has a searchable database of real world users. There were quite a few 570S' doing 0-60, sub 3sec, and 0-100, sub 6 sec. That is quick enough for me!

Ciao....Dino
    Ferrari F40 (sold)
    Ferrari Testarossa