Thread: Dip stick o-ring..

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC

Dip stick o-ring..

Ok, what the secret?

Ive been changing the oil pan gasket, which necessitates taking the dip stick out. Ok, get the gasket changed, put new o ring in the groove in the oil pan, lube it up, put dip stick in it, insert screw driver in top of tube, and tap it home. Seems fine, no movement .

fill with oil and it’s leaking...

whats the secret? I’ll drain some oil, pull the tube, and see if the oring is still in there. Glad I got two...

but what’s the deal? Should I have put the ring on the tube and then seated it?

thanks.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    O-ring goes on the tube first, insert into pan, bottom out by hand, and then tap it home with the screwdriver + mallet.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I’ll give it another go.. thanks Brett.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    I just placed on tube, lubed it a bit, and pushed into place. You get a slight pop fell when it hits home. I did not need to hammer but your mileage may vary.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Rich, clean out the seat area of the hole in the pan then put o-ring onto dipstick. Put a little fresh oil on the o-ring too.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Thanks Edger.. THat's what I thought. But I went the other way. I put the ring in the groove in the pan then put the tube in... Methinks I might have nicked it... It's a total pita to get there. I've got the SC oil drain, and a couple of bypass hoses in really colg up the area...

Anyway,

Merry Christmas everyone...

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    What port is your SC draining to?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    What port is your SC draining to?
    Should be interesting
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    There is a Y welded about 2” above the oil pan. SC drains down to there. I’ll post a picture tomorrow.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Ah, ok. As long as you have a dedicated free flowing drain. Some guys try to drain off the OBD2 ccv port on the dipstick which is highly restrictive.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    It's the dipstick tube that VF supplied with the kit. Since my car is a 95 it didn't have the ccv drain.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    It's the dipstick tube that VF supplied with the kit. Since my car is a 95 it didn't have the ccv drain.
    FYI; Vortech blames the oil in the intake system off excessive pressure buildup from dipstick tube added drains such as yours. It causes oil to come out of the mechanical seal on the impeller side. Even though it is free flowing, it is something to consider. A dedicated drain tapped into the top of the pan is how I ran mine.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I’ve never had an issue.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Well, I think I got the o-ring in... what a pita... Here's a pic of the Y dipstick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Well, I think I got the o-ring in... what a pita... Here's a pic of the Y dipstick.
    Which looks to be the regular OBD2 E36 dipstick tube. However the two tubes take different size O-rings because the Y-tube has a larger diameter at the bottom:

95 and earlier (straight tube): P/N 11431287541, 14.5x3
    96 and later (Y-tube): P/N 11431740045, 19.5x3

This may account for your difficulty in assembly.

The reason I know this is that my car has the Euro dual-pickup oil pump/pan. That pan is sized to accept the smaller diameter non-Y dipstick tube, which I retrofitted as part of the conversion. (It also has a separate fitting for the oil drain tube.) In addition the early and late tubes have different mounting brackets about halfway up, which also has to be dealt with. I cut the old one off my original tube and welded it to the new one, and yes, that was a PITA.

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 12-29-2018 at 12:33 PM.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    A 19.5 wouldn't fit in the pan at all. The tube is 14.5. I think VF welded it up. It's identicle to the stock 95 tube, but with the Y welded on.

In fact I ordered an 19.5 o-ring, and it wasn't even close to fitting. I think it was tough because it was fiddly, as opposed to not fitting.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Looking good under there, Rich!

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    It took a while to clean. I think the old o-ring wasn’t really in right. I didn’t get a chance to blast the pan, just used the parts washer.. cleaned up pretty good.

i had to recenter the steering coupler. Finish everything, lowered the car, and steering wheel was 30deg off... No idea how that happened. I centered the rack, centered the wheel, put on the coupler, and bam, off...Well I’m getting better at it...lol
    Last edited by RRSperry; 12-30-2018 at 10:06 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I somehow got my coupler on perfectly centered when I did mine, to my amazement, but my eyeball/tape measure front toe after the rack swap was awful. I think my front left was toed out like 6 degrees or something silly, and I had to hold the wheel partly turned right to keep it straight on the drive to the alignment shop. Probably could've gotten it closer in my garage, but hey it was drivable so why not let the pros deal with it. Also, I just wanted my multi-week project to be over at that point.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Eiterway, something was wrong. I had centered the rack, and the wheel/slip ring was centered. And the rack was my original rack that I hadn't touched, not like it was something unknown. What I think happened was, I moved the shaft (steering unlocked) while trying to fit the coupler. So the coupler had to get moved, otherwise, the rack/wheel wouldn't be centered. (if you know what I mean, like 1.2 turns one way, and 1.9 the other, instead of 1.5ish both ways.) At least that was my thought.. Now I'll schedule another alignment.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    That process is a PITA, or at least it always has been for me. The coupler is so hard to get on/off that something is almost bound to get bumped out of alignment. I spray down the coupler split with fluorescent orange spray paint. Enough gets down there to make a nice reference line on the shaft spline.

If you think these are parts you'll be messing with again there's a trick you can do to make future assembly/disassembly easier. Drill out one side only of the 6mm pinch bolt hole and tap it as M8. When you thread in an M8 bolt it'll bottom out against the stock hole on the other side of the split. Crank on another half turn or so and the pinch will spread and allow the coupler to slip on/off. Substitute the stock M6 bolt for final assembly (using a washer on the enlarged side for purchase).

Neil

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    That process is a PITA, or at least it always has been for me. The coupler is so hard to get on/off that something is almost bound to get bumped out of alignment. I spray down the coupler split with fluorescent orange spray paint. Enough gets down there to make a nice reference line on the shaft spline.

If you think these are parts you'll be messing with again there's a trick you can do to make future assembly/disassembly easier. Drill out one side only of the 6mm pinch bolt hole and tap it as M8. When you thread in an M8 bolt it'll bottom out against the stock hole on the other side of the split. Crank on another half turn or so and the pinch will spread and allow the coupler to slip on/off. Substitute the stock M6 bolt for final assembly (using a washer on the enlarged side for purchase).

Neil
    That is genius!