Thread: 2001 sub woffer wires

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER

2001 sub woffer wires

Happy Holidays to all

I'm replacing the OE subwoofer/box that was missing when I bought the 01 Roadster. I have a Kicker sub that I'm installing in the OE location with the OE AMP for now. Even if/when I get the amp, I believe I'll be using the OE speaker wires

The question is how to wire the new Sub to the OE wire harness?

The OE wires are solid brown - solid yellow - blue/brown - blue red

If anyone has experience doing this I appreciate the info.

I'm going to replace the other speakers, fix door lock, window runners,,,,,,,, always something isn't!!! Oh, OH!!! and a new alarm and probably an amp and then, starting to sound like a Christmas list.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Keep good track of your spendings. I didn’t and later decided to put it al into a mobile app. When I saw my total, which was about 40% of what I paid for my 2001 M Roadster, I figured it’s time to put on the brakes. Especially I still have to do 60K service and replace all rubber tubes and flush all liquids and do bunch of other stuff. 2nd year into ownership and the car will cost me double what I paid for it. But hey, all worth it! Sorry, can not help you with the sub. All my wires were swapped, and so was the amp. Although I updated original amp and replaced OE speaker myself, all wires where non OE. Frankly, I do not think that swapping polarity on the speaker would blow it out. It will not sound right, but it would not blow it out. Depends on your new sub specs it might not play at all or not be loud enough to make any impact. I tried 6inch kicker with my non-OE setup and although my amp has double the OE amp RMS it sounded like crap. I replaced it with JL audio sub. Sub is still not in the car as I am building a box for it to insert into original place. Kind of like the ones on Etsy. Let me stop myself here, because this is absolutely useless to your original question. Good luck! I am sure someone with reply with more relevant info.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Generally brown is the negative and the stock sub is a dual voice coil so match up the solids and striped pairs. You can easily run a monster or similar brand cable to the trunk from the sub cavity through the corrugated pan

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    I give!!! Waving the white flag you might say. Monday I'm dropping the M of at Audio Matrix to have them install new Hertz amp and speakers. I got a new Pioneer head unit 6 months ago and have been procrastinating with all kinds of very good and ligament reasons!!! I made a simple MDF sub box that fits in the OE location with a 6-3/4 Kicker sub-woofer. Monday afternoon when I pick it up, We'll see how it sounds

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    I've had the sub box and everything else that covers it out for over a year and I plan to build a plug and make a mold for a sub enclosure. Hopefully, closing down one of my companies will afford me time to finally do it. I like doing my own work, but it always takes a long time to get anything done.

Stubbornness is a virtue....

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    It's done..... kind of???? The sub box needs more interior volume which I knew I'd build a second box. The 1st one was to get it operational. The simple rectangular 11x7x3 box needs to be remade as large as possible filling in all available space in the OE location to increase the volume for better speaker performance. The Amp is mounted in the trunk on MDF for now. I'll get an aluminum plate cut to size, anodized it and mount it up. The sound quality is so much better. Still a work in process but getting there. Give me another (fill in the time frame)!!!

Bottom line is the process is worth the end result.

I know, pictures ................................... when it's done!!!

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by blkwpnz View Post
    I like doing my own work, but it always takes a long time to get anything done.
    My god, that sounds so familiar...
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    SUB BOX 2.jpgIMG_3461 (002).jpgIMG_3460 (003).jpgSUB BOX 1.jpg It's done, works and sounds good. New Pioneer head unit, Hertz 5-channel amp, Hertz speakers all around and the Kicker sub. This is the 2nd box and it was cut, chop, cut, chop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and now I know the dimensions. The 3rd and final box will be even better!!! I'll incorporate thinner materials to maximize the interior volume as the Kicker sub need more interior volume to preform better.

Like all the projects, the're so much fun.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Wow! That's quite the sub enclosure! Is it open to the back? That's the approach I finally took and just trimmed the (incredibly britle) plastic panel back there.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    It's a sealed box. The back is 1/4 MDF. I had to router the inside to give the speaker clearance making it 1/8 thick where the speaker is. It's a tight fit. I need to get some play dough to put on top of the box and close it up. Then I'll have an impression of the open space in the bottom of the cover. The 3rd box will fill in all available space to the best of my ability.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I went to a 8” top mount for this reason. It looks like you’ve made the box fit the available space as much as possible. IA made a 6x9 enclosure years ago but again finding a driver to fit the specs became impossible. I found two 8” drivers that fit the enclosure volume. Line the interior and plastic panels with dynamat that helps keeps the rattles down.