Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M70 EML DK throttle valves data, testing, info

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    got feedback from Wayneje: " I received the EML module and the car is starting and running now, and driving, but I noticed a weird noise when I press the brake and turn the steering wheel, noise seems to be coming from around the power steering pump or general area, again thank you so much for all the help with the eml and my non start issue "

As your 750 has the H31 hydraulic brake booster unit which also needs power steering fluid from the system which supplies fluid to steering support, rear self levelling sus system and the hydraulic brake booster system, I assume you need more fluid, check the Pentosin container. Usually when the reservoir does not have enough power steering fluid, the power steering pump can suck in besides the fluid also air, and that makes the noise.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1989 750il and 2000 728i
    Hey hey, so Iv finally had time to post my results, my problem turned out to be the eml control module in the engine bay, big big thanks to shogun for getting one shipped out to very fast, car is running good again thankfully, big thanks to everyone else who jumped in with suggestions, just have a couple of more things to try sort out now, abs light on, and when I turn steering wheel right it seems heavier than when I turn left, I'm just delighted she's running again now, again thanks a lot for all the help guys, 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻✌🏻✌🏻✌🏻✌🏻✌🏻

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Glad that I could help.
    abs light on >>>> I had that once, turned out the the plug from the wire loom from the ABS sensor from inside the front left fender into the engine bay was broken, too brittle. It was the plug coming from engine bay and that plug is not available as single item. Cut one off with wire pigtail from my parts car, soldered it on and all fine.

How to test the ABS sensor, in German, translate that: ABS-Sensoren einfach und schnell prüfen. Bezieht sich auf E32 , Bj. 08/1988 ,730i, sollte aber auch noch für andere Modelle gelten

Die Sensoren sind recht einfach mit einem einfachen Ohmmeter zu prüfen. Deckel für Motronic-Kasten abnehmen ( 4Schrauben ). Sitzt auf der Beifahrerseite vor der Windschutzscheibe. Das ABS-Modul sitzt zum Kühler hin. Das braune Relais zwischen den Modulen ist das ABS-Relais. Stecker vom ABS-Modul entriegeln und abziehen. Gegen Masse messen geht nicht,weil beide Adern (Seele und Abschirmung) direkt auf die Pins des Steckers am ABS-Steuergerät gehen und von dort die Masse erst erhalten.
    Zieht man den Stecker zum Messen ab,ist natürlich die Masse weg. Man sollte so vorgehen: Stecker vom ABS-Modul abziehen und umdrehen. Dann sieht meine eine Doppelreihe mit Kontakten. Eine kürzere und eine etwas längere Leiste. Die kürzere Leiste hat die ungeraden Zahlen,die längere die geraden Zahlen der Pins. Gezählt wird von der Seite aus,wo sich NICHT der Kabelbaum befindet,also vom Kotflügel aus. Dann einfach das Ohmmeter an folgende Pins halten:
    Pin 4 und 6 = Sensor links vorne 1000 Ohm (rote Seele)
    Pin 9 und 7 = Sensor links hinten 1000 Ohm (weiße Seele)
    Pin 21 und 11 = Sensor rechts vorne 1000 Ohm (gelbe Seele)
    Pin 26 und 24 = Sensor rechts hinten 1000 Ohm (grüne Seele)

Wobei 4,9,21,26 die Masseadern=Schirmungen sind (transparente Isolierung)

Man kann den Stecker mit 3 Schrauben auch problemlos öffnen. Dann kann man sich nach den Farben richten und sieht auch die Nummern der Pins. Die Widerstandswerte können streuen zwischen 600 und 1600 Ohm. Liegt man darunter,handelt es sich um einen Kurzschluß auf der Leitung,oder im Sensor selbst. Die Sensoren haben als Karosseriedurchführung einen zweipoligen Stecker. Jeweils einen in den Radhäusern für vorne. Die Hinteren befinden sich wahrscheinlich unter der Rücksitzbank.
    An den Steckvorrichtungen kann man zwar auch messen,kommt aber schlechter ran,als an den Stecker direkt am ABS-Modul. Sehr wahrscheinlich sind die Zuleitungskabel in den Radhäusern zu den Sensoren hin unterbrochen,weil diese ja ständig in Bewegung sind. Hier dann den Sensor ausbauen und messen.

and when I turn steering wheel right it seems heavier than when I turn left: >> clean the filter which is located at the bottom side inside the steering gear box, details on my website http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
    click fixes>>> go to
    Steering
    Steering has become heavy at low speeds
    Steering is intermittently heavy at low speeds

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Do not throw away the old EML control unit, if you have a chance, test this:

Try the throttle reset routine - this often works after an accidental adaptations clear:

1. Turn ignition to position 2, wait 3-5 seconds
    2. Push the throttle pedal all the way down and activate kick down switch, hold it for 3-5 seconds
    3. Let off the pedal completely, wait 3-5 seconds
    4. Push the throttle pedal all the way down and activate kick down switch, hold it for 3-5 seconds
    5. Let off the pedal completely, wait 3-5 seconds
    6. Turn off ignition, wait at least 10 seconds.

Never heard about this before, found it here:
    995 850ci EML Light is on, and unable to scan car using Scanner, No Pedal response. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...5#post30202475
    NOTE: that is for an M73 engine, not sure if it also works on M70, M73 has Siemens throttle valves etc, different from M70 Bosch.
    Last edited by shogun; 02-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just for info: there was another case on the German E32 forum, 1992 E32 750. When trying to start the engine, the throttle valves just moved a little bit when he switched ignition on, but do not open and then do not move anymore. When he moved the throttle valves manually by hand, the engine started.
    I recommended him to change the EML control unit for a test. He did that that yesterday, problem solved.
    Defective EML control unit.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    DK cleaning video, Cleaning BMW electronic throttle bodies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvXNT-lWtr4

Does a member here have a spare DK and can measure the size of the carbon brushes or has a link to a fitting carbon brush?

On another forum someone broke the carbon brush when re-assembling the DK after cleaning, he forgot that he should push the brushes back in the housing before re-installing the motor.

Edit: once upon the time someone posted the dimensions: 4x5x12mm
    Last edited by shogun; 11-19-2020 at 08:54 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    carbon brush dimensions for M70 DK 4x5x12mm
    carbon brush dimensions for M70 DK 4x5x12mm, found it in an old thread from 2008 on the German E31 forum
    Kohlen bekommt man hier; https://www.elosal.de/ https://www.elosal.de/waren/kohlebue...efed/index.php

Auf den Bildern sind die Maße , 4x5x12mm müsste passen. (measured)
    another comment:
    Die Bürsten in der DK liegen in einer Führung von geschätzten 4-5mm Breite. Die Bürsten haben die Maße 5x5mm bei 15mm Länge (geschätzt aus der Erinnerung/estimated from memory). In die Bürste eingelassen ist eine hochflexible Litze die bei der Ersatzbürste auch die richtige Länge haben müsste. Aber rein theoretisch betrachtet sollte das mit der Ersatzkohle klappen. https://8-series.club/index.php/foru...uersten#119840

translated: On the pictures are the dimensions, 4x5x12mm should fit. (measured)
    other comment:
    The brushes in the DK are in a guide of estimated 4-5mm width. The brushes have the dimensions 5x5mm at 15mm length (estimated from memory). In the brush is a highly flexible stranded wire which should have the right length for the replacement brush. But theoretically it should work with the replacement carbon.
    Note: probably you cannot see the pics of the measured brushes there when you are not registered, no absolute need, size is 4x5x12mm

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    M70 DK wiper adjustment correctly done thru a hole where the connector goes on 8er.org German section with pics and how to do , see page 4 the pics https://www.8er.org/forum/showthread...en-%FCberholen
    probably only members of that forum can see the pics, excellent info

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    M70 DK wiper adjustment correctly done thru a hole where the connector goes on 8er.org German section with pics and how to do , see page 4 the pics https://www.8er.org/forum/showthread...en-%FCberholen
    probably only members of that forum can see the pics, excellent info
    Too bad I can't see the pics, don't understand how it can be done with theottle closed? I do this procedure with multiple opening and retesting... takes a long time to get it right.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    I'm a member on that site and I can't see anything either... Shogun, translate & PDF it?
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    as you are a member there,you have to set the settings there, that you have access to the German version forum too, it is under Tipps und Tricks.
    go to settings
    My Account
    Edit Email & Password
    General Settings
    Permission Groups
    you are a member of the following groups
    select F01: D-A-CH Registrierte Benutzer
    D-A-CH means Deutschland, Austria, Switzerland

then go back to the main page and you also see Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz, Registrierte Benutzer, registered User, utilisateurs enregistrés, there go to the subforum Tipps und Tricks

Text copied of the last portion of that long thread, translated below

Ich habe jetzt eine meiner beiden Drosselklappen so weit es geht zerlegt (Drosselklappe und Drosselklappenwelle nicht demontiert, die Schrauben der Drosselklappe sind auf der Welle verstemmt). Um an das Getriebe zwischen Motor und Drosselklappenwelle heran zu kommen muss eine Zwischenplatte ab. Um die ab zu bekommen muss der Schleifer ab. Ich hatte vermutet, dass der Schleifer drehfest auf der Drosselklappenwelle sitzt und mit der Schraube 4 gesichert ist. Nein. Dreht man Schraube 4, dann dreht sich der Schleifer auf der Welle mit. Der Schleifer ist einfach ein leichter Presssitz auf der Drosselklappenwelle. Man kann ihn also einfach abziehen (behutsam natürlich). Aufgrund meiner unzutreffenden Vermutung habe ich nicht die Drehposition des Schleifers markiert. Jetzt die Frage der Fragen, wie den Schleifer positionieren. Und wie kritisch ist diese Position? Ich habe natürlich noch die zweite Drosselklappe, von der ich die Position übernehmen kann.

Insbesondere die Frage nach der Kritikalität der genauen Position treibt mich aber um. Von der Konstruktion her denke ich, dass die genaue Position (genau im Sinne von + 5-10°) nicht sehr kritisch sein kann, denn andernfalls hätte man sowas wie ein kleine Passfeder dazu konstruiert und den Schleifer nicht frei drehbar auf der Welle ausgeführt. Kann da jemand etwas genaueres zu sagen?
    Bilder meiner Drosselklappenzerlegung reiche ich noch nach. Bei mir war die interne Verschmutzung nicht annähernd so heftig, wie im hier gezeigten Beispiel. Dies hier könnte ein Kriterium sein. Als Toleranz gibt BMW + 3° an. (Bild ebenfalls aus besagtem Thread geklaut). Mit einer Winkelscheibe kann man das dann also einstellen, vermute ich. Also den Übergang zu Widerstand unendlich bei diesem Winkel von ca. 17°. Richtig oder Unfug? Ich messe das mal bei der nicht zerlegten Drosselklappe nach
    -------
    Der Schleifer wird in einer bestimmten Position vormontiert. ( Hab da auch keinen Plan wie genau das sein soll.) nach der Montage der Komponenten, also komplette Drosselklappe montiert, wird durch den Steckeranschuss, ( dort ist in der Mitte ein loch mit einem Blindstopfen, der muss natürlich erst mal raus) die endgültige Position des Schleifers eingestellt. Danach den Blindstopfen wieder ein drücken.
    Ich mache den Schleifer erst gar nicht mehr runter. Das Hauptproblem liegt ja bei dem Abrieb der Kohlen. Da bewegen sich die Kohlen nicht mehr, oder die Welle des Rotors klemmt. Nimm am besten die Schleiferposition von der anderen Drosselklappe ab, das wird wohl das beste sein.
    ------------
    Ob es genau ist oder nicht (Schleifer), sagt dir dann das Licht (EML)...Der Schleifer sollte sehr genau wieder sitzen sonst gibts Probleme mit der Plausibilitätsabfrage des EML.Es gibt aber eine einfache Methode. ich versuch mal ein Bild zu finden.
    --------------------
    Die Toleranzen der Potentiometerwiderstände sind sehr groß. Es können auch DK mit stark unterschiedlichen Werten vom EML-Steuergerät erfolgreich verpaart werden, solange noch in der Toleranz des Datenblatts. Hab ich selbst schon erprobt
    ----------------------------
    Was genau macht denn der sogenannte Sicherheitswiderstand? Dessen Abschaltwinkel wird ja von BMW mit einer Toleranz von + 3° angegeben. Das scheint mir schon relativ genau in der Vorgabe zu sein. Bin jetzt off-line und in die Werkstatt, um meine Schrick Winkelscheibe zu suchen und an der Drosselklappenwelle anzubringen .
    ---------------
    Müsste man sich zunächst mal anschauen ob der Sicherheitswiderstand in Reihe zum Potentiometerwiderstand sitzt.

Irgendwo gehe ich von aus muss gegen Kurzschluss etc. geschützt werden. Wenn dieser dann nochmals seine eigene (größere) Toleranz mit sich bringt dann addieren sich die Toleranzen weiter auf. Genau genommen ist 3% auch schon viel. Beim Potentiometerwiderstand sind es sogar mehrere hundert OHM. Cent-Widerstände können schon eine Toleranz von 1% halten, müsste man mal das Gesamtkonstrukt betrachten und die Werte inkl. möglicher Toleranzen zusammenzählen. Aber gibt aufregenderes am E31 als das ...Hab übrigens meine DK letztes Jahr auch revidiert, die laufen seither sehr schön, lohnt sich in jedem Fall.
    --------------------------
    So, Drosselklappen sind zerlegt, gereinigt, gefettet, zusammengebaut und eingestellt. Für das Einstellen braucht man dieses Spezialwerkzeug (T20). Gut wenn man einen normalen Schlüssel mal eben abdrehen kann. Das wird hier eingesetzt, dazu später mehr. Ohne dieses Werkzeug hat man keine Chance den Abschaltwinkel des Sicherheitswiderstandes bei 17° + 3° hin zu bekommen. Beim Zerlegen kommt erst das Ankergehäuse ab. Vorsichtig, damit man nicht den Anker grob heraus zieht und dabei eine der Kohlen killt. Ohne Anker sieht das dann so aus.
    Das weitere Zerlegen sieht so aus, wobei hier der Schleifer des Potis schon entfernt wurde.
    Der saß hier und läßt sich einfach abziehen. Es ist ein strammer Presssitz, also Vorsicht, dass das Teil nicht durch die Gegend fliegt. Die Schleiferkontakte sind sehr empfindlich und den Schleifer gibt es nicht separat zu kaufen. Hier sieht man die Poti Bahnen.
    Der Zusammenbau ist simpel, man darf aber nicht vergessen einen Gummistopfen im elektrischen Verbinder zu entfernen. Durch das entstehende Loch kommt man mit dem Spezialwerkzeug an den Schleifer zwecks Einstellen. Diese Durchgangsöffnung ist hier eingekringelt.
    Der Gummistopfen ist dies, bei Ausdrücken mit einem Durchschlag Acht geben, dass er nicht unter eine Schrank o.ä. fliegt.
    Hier nochmal, wo das Spezialwerkzeug dann zum Schleifer durchgreifen kann.
    Dann geht es an das Einstellen des eingangs genannten Abschaltwinkels des Sicherheitswiderstandes. Gemessen wird zwischen den Pins 1 und 7. Der Versuchasaufbau sieht so aus. Die Winkelscheibe ist mit doppelseitigem Klebeband an dem Federteller der Drosselklappenwelle aufgeklebt. Das reicht völlig. Der Zeiger ist aus einem Schweißdraht gebogen und wird in einer Montagebohrung eingesetzt. Das ist der Widerstand bei 0°
    Und das beim Übergang zwischen 17° und 18°.
    Und hier habe ich bei beiden Drosselklappen mal alles durchgemessen. Die Widerstände sind durchaus deutlich unterschiedlich. Das soll aber nicht tragisch sein, Hauptsache der besagte Winkel haut hin.
    ----------------------
    Zusätzliche Tipps:
    1. Beim Abziehen des Ankergehäuses fixiere ich den Rotor mit einem 17er Maulschlüssel wie er für Fahrräder speziell gefertigt wird. Der ist nur 2mm dick und lässt sich halt schon frühzeitig einsetzen. Damit werden die Kohlen mechanisch entlastet. Macht auch Sinn bei der Montage nach der Reinigung.
    2. Für die Entfernung der Schleifkontakte habe ich mir einen kleinen Nagelheber zurecht geschliffen.
    Bevor ich den Schleifer demontiere, mache ich mir einen kleinen Ritz ins Alugehäuse, der mir die Position des Schleifers markiert. Wenn der Schleifer dann wieder auf seine Achse kommt, drehe ich ihn auf die Markierung. Bis jetzt hat das gereicht. Das Einmessen mit Winkellehre und Widerstandsmessung ehrt den Perfektionisten. Allerdings streuen die Werte von DK zu DK stark. Darum bin ich der Überzeugung, die von der Erfahrung bestärkt wird, das es ausreicht, den Schleifer auf eine sorgfältig angebrachte Markierung zu drehen, wenn er replatziert wird. Besten Dank für die ausführliche und prima bebilderte Rep.anleitung.
    ---------------
    Das ist tatsächlich so, diese Erfahrung habe ich auch gemacht. Die hohe Toleranz ist aber laut Datenblatt zulässig.
    wowbagger schrieb: Bevor ich den Schleifer demontiere, mache ich mir einen kleinen Ritz ins Alugehäuse, der mir die Position des Schleifers markiert. Wenn der Schleifer dann wieder auf seine Achse kommt, drehe ich ihn auf die Markierung. Bis jetzt hat das gereicht.

Bei der zweiten DK habe ich das auch so gemacht (bei der ersten dachte ich noch, dass die Schraube den Schleifer nur auf der Welle fixiert und der Schleifer auf der Welle drehfest aufgeschoben ist, dumm geschaut, als sich beim Lösen der "Schraube" der Schleifer mit drehte .Die Winkelmessung ergab in der Tat dafür eine Genauigkeit innerhalb der + 3° Toleranz. Zukünftig würde ich das wohl ebenso machen. Oder als Kontrollfreak (nur bei Technik!) vielleicht doch wieder auch messen? Noch eine Ergänzung vielleicht: auch merken wie herum der Schleifer aufgesetzt ist. Es gibt ja 2 Möglichkeiten (um 180° verdreht). Ich vermute allerdings, dass es egal ist, weil die Schleiferkontakte ja in beiden Richtungen funktionieren müssen und scheinbar auch auf einer durch die Wellenmitte gehenden Geraden liegen. Relevant wird es insofern nur bei der Markierung, wenn die nämlich (wahrscheinlich) nicht auf dieser Geraden liegt, dann ist nicht mehr egal wie herum der Schleifer aufgesetzt wird.
    ===========================================
    I have now disassembled one of my two throttle bodies as far as possible (throttle body and throttle shaft not disassembled, the screws of the throttle body are caulked on the shaft). To get to the gear between the engine and the throttle shaft, an intermediate plate must be removed. To get that off the slider has to come off. I assumed that the wiper is fixed on the throttle shaft and secured with screw # 4. No. If you turn screw # 4, the wiper rotates on the shaft. The wiper is simply a light press fit on the throttle shaft. So you can just pull it off (gently of course). Due to my incorrect guess, I did not mark the turning position of the slider. Now the question of questions, how to position the slider. And how critical is this position? Of course, I still have the second throttle from which I can take the position.
    But especially the question of the criticality of the exact position is driving me. From the construction I think that the exact position (exactly in the sense of + 5-10°) cannot be very critical, because otherwise one would have constructed something like a small feather key to it and would not have made the wiper freely rotatable on the shaft. Can anyone say something more specific about this?
    I will send pictures of my throttle disassembly later. On mine, the internal contamination was not nearly as severe as the example shown here. This could be a criterion. As tolerance BMW gives + 3°. (Picture also stolen from said thread). So with an angle disc you can adjust that then, I guess. So the transition to resistance infinite at this angle of about 17°. Correct or nonsense? I measure this times with the not dismantled throttle valve after
    -------
    The wiper is pre-assembled in a certain position. After the assembly of the components, i.e. the complete throttle valve is mounted, the final position of the wiper is set through the plug connection (there is a hole in the middle with a blind plug, which of course must first be removed). Then press the blind plug back in. I don't even remove the wiper anymore. The main problem is the abrasion of the carbons. The carbons no longer move, or the rotor shaft jams. Take the wiper position from the other throttle, that will probably be the best.
    ------------
    Whether it is exact or not (wiper), tells you then the light (EML)...The wiper should sit very exactly again otherwise there will be problems with the plausibility query of the EML. There is however a simple method. i try times to find a picture.
    --------------------
    The tolerances of the potentiometer resistors are very large. Also DK with strongly different values can be paired successfully by the EML control unit, as long as still in the tolerance of the data sheet. I have already tested this myself

What exactly does the so-called safety resistor do? Its cut-off angle is specified by BMW with a tolerance of + 3°. That seems to me to be relatively accurate in the specification. Am now off-line and into the workshop to look for my Schrick angle disc and attach it to the throttle shaft .
    ---------------
    Would have to look first to see if the safety resistor sits in series with the potentiometer resistor.

Somewhere I assume must be protected against short circuit etc.. If this then again brings its own (larger) tolerance with itself then the tolerances add up further. Strictly speaking, 3% is already a lot. With the potentiometer resistor it is even several hundred OHM. Cent resistors can already hold a tolerance of 1%, you would have to look at the overall construct and add up the values including possible tolerances. But there are more exciting on the E31 than that ...By the way, I also revised my DK last year, they run very nice since then, worth it in any case.
    --------------------------
    So, throttle bodies are disassembled, cleaned, greased, reassembled and adjusted. For the adjustment you need this special tool (T20). Good if you can just turn off a normal wrench. This is used here, more about that later. Without this tool you have no chance to get the cut-off angle of the safety resistor at 17° + 3°. When disassembling, the armature housing comes off first. Be careful not to pull out the armature and kill one of the carbons. Without the armature it looks like this. The further disassembly looks like this, but here the wiper of the potentiometer was already removed. It was sitting here and can be pulled off easily. It's a tight press fit, so be careful that the part doesn't fly around. The wiper contacts are very sensitive and the wiper is not available separately. Here you can see the potentiometer tracks. The assembly is simple, but you must not forget to remove a rubber plug in the electrical connector. Through the resulting hole you can reach the slider with the special tool for adjustment. This through hole is curled here. The rubber plug is this, when pushing out with a punch be careful that it does not fly under a cabinet or the like. Here again, where the special tool can then reach through to the hole. Then it goes to the setting of the aforementioned cut-off angle of the safety resistor. It is measured between pins 1 and 7. The test setup looks like this. The angle disc is stuck to the spring plate of the throttle shaft with double-sided adhesive tape. This is completely sufficient. The pointer is bent from a welding wire and is inserted into a mounting hole. This is the resistance at 0° .And this is at the transition between 17° and 18°.
    And here I have measured everything at both throttles. The resistances are quite clearly different. But this should not be tragic, the main thing is that the said angle works.
    ----------------------
    Additional tips:
    1. when pulling off the armature housing, I fix the rotor with a 17mm open-end wrench as it is specially manufactured for bicycles. This is only 2mm thick and can be inserted early. Thus the carbons are relieved mechanically. Also makes sense when mounting after cleaning.
    2. for the removal of the sliding contacts / wiper I have ground me a small nail lifter.
    Before I dismantle the wiper, I make a small scratch in the aluminum housing, which marks the position of the wiper. Then when the wiper comes back on its axis, I turn it to the mark. So far that has been enough. Measuring in with an angle gauge and resistance measurement honors the perfectionist. However, the values vary greatly from DK to DK. That's why I'm convinced, reinforced by experience, that it's enough to turn the wiper to a carefully placed mark when it's re-positioned. Many thanks for the detailed and well illustrated instructions.
    ---------------
    That is indeed the case, I have also had this experience. But the high tolerance is allowed according to the data sheet.
    wowbagger wrote: Before I remove the wiper, I make a small scratch in the aluminum housing, which marks me the position of the wiper. Then when the wiper comes back on its axis, I rotate it to the mark. So far that has been enough.

With the second DK I have also done so (with the first I still thought that the screw fixes the wiper only on the shaft and the wiper is pushed on the shaft rotationally fixed, looked stupid when loosening the "screw" the wiper rotated with it .The angle measurement resulted in fact for this an accuracy within the + 3 ° tolerance. In the future, I would probably do the same. Or as control freak (only with technology!) perhaps again also measure? Another addition perhaps: also notice how the wiper is placed. There are 2 possibilities (rotated by 180°). I assume, however, that it does not matter, because the wiper contacts must work in both directions and apparently also lie on a straight line going through the shaft center. In this respect, it is only relevant for the marking, because if it is (probably) not on this straight line, then it no longer matters how the wiper is placed.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-05-2021 at 08:24 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    some of the pics, the Bosch data are since years on my website http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html click reference data >>> control systems >>>DK input details, there is a pdf called DK input details : small PDF file
    German and English translation
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Ohhh, I see what he is doing there.... He is re setting the entire encoder brush angle to be correct after removal... that is the easy part atleast for me.
    The reason he is still getting different all over the place resistance readings is because the whiskers are still in their old worn in grooves on the encoder surface.
    In order to correct that each whisker have to be moved fraction of mm at a time and re tested to get throttle back to factory spec. This is what takes some precision, time and alot of effort.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    had an interesting discussion on the German 7 - forum about how much the throttle valves should open when ignition is set to ignition on, engine off, as you know with ignition on the DKs start to move a bit and the DK motors start running in stand-by.
    https://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=193497
    some people commented that the 2 throttle valves open a different angle.
    then I contacted Johannes from extra-classics de which repairs throttle valves and MAF for the M70 and S70, Q+A copied in German and translated:

Hallo Erich, zu den unterschiedlichen Leerlaufpositionen der Drosselklappen kann ich was sagen. Viele wissen nicht, dass diese Position nicht durch den internen Poti der DK angelernt wird, sondern es erfolgt die Synchronisation anhand des Luftdurchsatzes. Die Motronic weiß nicht wie viel die jeweilige Bank leistet, sie verlässt sich daher auf die gemessene Luftmasse und stellt die DK so lange nach bis die selbe Luftmasse rechts und links angezeigt wird. Nun kommen die Luftmassenmesser ins Spiel, zeigt einer der beiden LMM einen falschen Wert so wird fälschlicherweise nachgeregelt bis zwar der Wert stimmt, nicht aber die Luftmenge selbst. Sprich, zieht der Motor Falschluft oder ist einer der LMM aus der Toleranz so muss diejenige Bank mehr leisten die eine weiter offen stehende DK hat. Der Luftmassenmesser hat einen elementaren Stellenwert bei diesem Motor und wird oft vollkommen unterschätzt. Genau genommen ist es so, stimmt diese erste Messgröße (Luftmasse) am Eingang nicht so ist der gesamte nachgelagerte Regelprozess im Eimer. Mein Motor, beide DK revidiert und beide LMM überholt fährt bei Zündung ein beide DK auf die selbe Position. Und so muss das auch sein wenn alles stimmt.
    ------------
    Rueckfrage zur Klarstellung + Missverstaendnisse zu vermeiden: wenn nur die Zuendung angestellt wird auf Stellung 2, wie kann denn der Luftdurchsatz der LMM gemessen werden, der Motor laeuft ja noch nicht. Nur die DK bewegen sich etwas und der DK Motor summt/laeuft.
    --------------------
    Die Drosselklappen fahren sobald die Zündung angestellt wird auf die Position, die sie bei der letzten Synchronisation erlernt hatten, und zwar nicht erst wenn der Anlasser dreht sondern stehen diese schon bereit bevor der Motor gestartet wird. Die gelernten Positionen sind in der EML (im flüchtigen Speicher) abgelegt und gehen beim Abklemmen der Batterie verloren. Dann wird beim ersten Start nach Anklemmen der Batt. neu angelernt, allerdings erst wenn der Motor min. 60°C erreicht hat. Bis dahin wird auf Ersatzwert gefahren, der Motor läuft bis dahin ggf. unrund und schwankend. Daher sage ich den Leuten immer, nachdem sie neue LMM von mir bekommen haben, unbedingt einmal Batterie abklemmen, sonst werden weiterhin die falschen Adaptionswerte gezogen, die die EML noch von den defekten LMM kennt.
    ========================================
    Hello Erich, I can say something about the different idle positions of the throttle valves. Many do not know that this position is not taught/adjusted by the internal potentiometer of the DK, but it is synchronized based on the air flow. The Motronic doesn't know how much the respective bank is performing, so it relies on the measured air mass and adjusts the DK until the same air mass is displayed on the right and left.
    Now the air mass meters come into play, one of the two LMM/MAF shows a wrong value so it is wrongly readjusted until the value is correct, but not the air volume itself. This means that if the engine draws the wrong air or if one of the LMM/MAF is out of tolerance, the bank that has a more open DK must perform better. The mass air flow sensor / MAF has a fundamental importance in this engine and is often completely underestimated. Strictly speaking, if this first measured variable (air mass) at the input is not correct, the entire downstream control process is not correctly performing. On my engine, both DK revised and both LMM/MAF overhauled drive at ignition on both DK onto the same position. And so it must be when everything is correct.
    ------------
    Question to clarify + avoid misunderstandings: if only the ignition is turned on to position 2, how can the air flow of the LMM/MAF be measured, the engine is not yet running. Only the DK move a little and the DK engine hums/runs.
    --------------------
    The throttle valves/DK move as soon as the ignition is turned on to the position they learned during the last synchronization, and not only when the starter turns, but they are already ready before the engine is started. The learned positions are stored in the EML (in volatile memory) and are lost when the battery is disconnected. Then, at the first start after connecting the battery, it is relearned, but only when the engine has reached min. 60°C. Until then, the engine is driven on a substitute value. Until then, the engine is driven on a substitute value, the engine may run rough and unsteady. Therefore, I always tell people, after they get new LMM from me, necessarily disconnect the battery once, otherwise the wrong adaptation values are still drawn, which the EML still knows from the defective LMM. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12