Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible to Remove 2003 Xenon headlight Lenses & How to Repair Adjusters?

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I cut mine open this weekend. Total pita. Took forever to dig out the old sealant from the channels. Anyways, to the extent folks are replacing the Hella low beam projectors with EvoX-R 2.0, I took a few photos of how I modified the mounts to bring the projector lens closer to the frame. I used a dremel cutting wheel to remove the washers, then increased the fine threaded portion using a 4mm, 0.7 pitch die. I measured the ideal distance from where the lower nut rests on the plastic posts to where the washer supports the projector at 16mm. I used 4mm Hillman washers from Lowe’s to fit over the fine threaded portion, and I picked up some cotton gloves from Walgreens to minimize chance for fingerprints on the frame and reflector bowls.

Worked pretty well. I was able to fine tune the low beam and high beams using this method and it seems more stable than using separate screws and spacers. Still need to re-assemble the housings and put the new lenses on. My adjusters were literally crumbled in pieces so I’m glad a did this. Hoping the light output will be worth all the effort.

Untitled by Twistytee, on Flickr

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Nice job! The light output will be amazing, be sure to post pictures.

Edit: An issue I've encountered in the past with retrofits is that the cutoffs might not line up perfectly, as in the output from the two projectors will form an X shape instead of lining up perfectly. The easiest way to correct this is to bend the little tab that holds the cutoff shield in it's resting position up or down a bit to tweak the angle.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 01-14-2019 at 12:32 AM.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I used the 1.75" hole saw method described by Lesguy above. You cut one hole in each headlight assy to access one of the two adjusters. The other adjusters can be replaced without cutting. Worked fine. Very clean finish. I bought the plastic caps that snap in place. You must have a long (4 inches) T-10 torx screwdriver. Be careful not to cut too deep as you are close to the angel eye wiring.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Cutting holes for the adjusters only works if you're okay with using the factory projector assemblies. If you're going to take the time to do it you might as well have headlights that are actually good when you're done, at this point the projector bowl coating is usually cracking and flaking off from old age and heat cycling and output is degraded.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 01-22-2019 at 12:04 PM.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I was surprised at how far the interior bowls of my projectors had deteriorated. I got into this project largely to address the adjusters, but ending up cutting the lenses and updating the projectors since I drive at night frequently. So far no regrets except the quality of the aftermarket replacement lenses is not as nice as the OE Hellas. Not a cheap project but I rank it up with safety items like tires, brakes and steering. So it was worth it to me.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I was surprised at how far the interior bowls of my projectors had deteriorated. I got into this project largely to address the adjusters, but ending up cutting the lenses and updating the projectors since I drive at night frequently. So far no regrets except the quality of the aftermarket replacement lenses is not as nice as the OE Hellas. Not a cheap project but I rank it up with safety items like tires, brakes and steering. So it was worth it to me.
    I agree, definitely a safety project. Retrofit lights are the only reason I was able to stop from 60mph in time to keep from hitting a deer smack in the middle of my lane. Pricey, but cheaper than a front-end repair job.

What lenses did you use? I used the DJAuto lenses with the chrome corners and had no complaints, as far as aftermarket parts go I thought they were pretty good. I don't trust them to resist yellowing very well though so I covered mine in Suntek PPF.

My Cars
    Alpina B10
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    So 7 years later have you accepted that people can replace the adjusters without cutting into them? I’ve done 2 sets over the last fortnight so know it can be done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    I agree, definitely a safety project. Retrofit lights are the only reason I was able to stop from 60mph in time to keep from hitting a deer smack in the middle of my lane. Pricey, but cheaper than a front-end repair job.

What lenses did you use? I used the DJAuto lenses with the chrome corners and had no complaints, as far as aftermarket parts go I thought they were pretty good. I don't trust them to resist yellowing very well though so I covered mine in Suntek PPF.
    I used the DJAuto lenses too. They look fine but the plastic is definitely thinner than the Hellas, especially the tabs. I covered them with XPEL film to protect against pitting and UV.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    A thread with discussion of replacement lenses and other related topics
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1257070

Including a source for polycarbonate lenses claimed to be OEM quality.
    Regards
    RDL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12