Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Visceral M3 / My Estoril E36 M3/2/5 Journey

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Great update! I love seeing the progress on your car. Not to mention seeing it next to the Ferrari!

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 TechnoViolet
    Probably one of the most addicting & exciting thread that I've seen in a long time - well done & keep it up please & thank you
    Cheers,

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Hard to believe it’s been about five months since the last update.

I bought my first house back in April which has consumed a lot of my available energy, brain space, and funds. Otherwise, life has just been busy. Summer in Houston is hot so I often find myself in the daily driver that has killer AC and cooled seats. Still, I’ve been driving the car here and there when I’ve got some free time.

Or when I want to grab a bite to eat outside.

Or to try and chase down much faster cars.

Either way, SOME maintenance has been done!

The car has developed a slight power steering leak. I popped it on the lift a few weeks ago and the lines & fittings I replaced a few years ago are still dry, and it looks like it’s coming from the upper portion of the rack, where the steering guibo meets the rack. I guess it’s time to finally get that ZHP rack I’ve always wanted.

In the meantime, now that the weather is starting to cool off, hopefully I can get back to enjoying the car more often.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    ZHP rack is a game changer. Don't delay! One of the best modifications I've done.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    best upates around, I love seeing your car!
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    ZHP rack is a game changer. Don't delay! One of the best modifications I've done.
    I've heard this so many times that I can't believe I've delayed it this long.
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    best upates around, I love seeing your car!
    Thank you!
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Such a great thread. One of the nicest examples on here and definitely serves as a road map for my new toy!

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post

Thank you!
    In the last year I replaced all power steering lines, reservoir, fluid etc but I am now leaking at the same location you are. When I stop hemorrhaging money for home renovations and medical bills the ZHP rack is on my to do list.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
    Like the rest of us, you've dealt with the issues that have popped up as they've come along. It's hard to budget time for "cool" when there's still a list of "needed."

I just installed the front splitter this week. I'm not entirely sure how you guys live with this thing. Even fully retracted I'm tiptoeing just about everywhere. Having said that, it's great on track today!

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Like the rest of us, you've dealt with the issues that have popped up as they've come along. It's hard to budget time for "cool" when there's still a list of "needed."

Isn't that the truth. I want to do the steering rack as well but still need to put money aside for dropping the rear end and addressing all the bushings and parts there that need replaced, then a new set of tires. THEN I can address my steering rack then move onto cosmetics and other wants.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by E85STI View Post
    Isn't that the truth. I want to do the steering rack as well but still need to put money aside for dropping the rear end and addressing all the bushings and parts there that need replaced, then a new set of tires. THEN I can address my steering rack then move onto cosmetics and other wants.
    LOL… I’m having the same dilemma. Luckily myself and all the new fellas have the wisdom of many to help guide us.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    I've got some big expenses coming up in October/November but this will be addressed as soon as that's out of the way. I remember seeing some posts that RackDoctor isn't the go-to anymore? Does anyone know the reason why and if there is another good alternative? Prefer to buy one that's refurbished prior to install, but if it's not too hard to rebuild myself, maybe that's an option as well.

Instagram

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Rackdoctor is hit or miss from what I can tell. Either it works fine or it leaks and they don't respond to service requests.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Honestly, for you guys that don't DD your cars, you'd probably be FAR ahead to buy the lowest mileage rack you can find and just put it in the car. There's a very good chance you'll be able to see if it has any leaks - most salvage yard parts I've bought are just thrown in a box. It should be drained, but if you ask for the tie rods too (acting like you're super cheap) the boots will still be installed and you can see if it's leaking.

You can always pull it and send it out to get refreshed if it starts leaking later. The lines are guaranteed to start leaking before the rack does, so it's not like you won't have opportunity if you're anal about keeping it super tidy. I've completely given up. New reservoir and new lines, and it still started weeping at the junction between the reservoir and one of the hoses within a year of doing that. It was as tight as I could make it without the hose clamp failing.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    I’m starting to see a trend here; updates are fewer and further between. As mentioned in the last post, 2022 has been a year busy with adult things and the new home has eaten up a lot of the free time AND the desire to tinker and fix things.

With this in mind, and more of these responsibilities to come, I figured it was time to move the car……

….. end dramatic pause. It’s unlikely I’d ever sell this car, it would take an overly generous amount.

So what’s the deal? Well, another one of 2022’s big obligations was to finally tie the knot. The venue was back home in the midwest, a small and intimate ceremony with our family. With the plans to be there for just shy of a week, perfect autumn weather, and my only commitment was to be one place at a certain time, I made a plan to ship the car there and to enjoy some of the drives I used to.

It was a glorious reunion when I finally made it up there two weeks later. The sun was setting and the weather was brisk, it was a bit of a surreal moment walking out of the gas station to see the sun reflecting off the paint, warmly highlighting the lines of the car.

It was so good that just one photo didn’t suffice.

A short trip down the street lead me to this little park, just before the “entrance” to some of my favorite roads. I again paused for a few minutes to take in the crisp air, enjoy the car and the moment while appreciating some of the nostalgia of having my car back home to drive.

I’ve made many trips home since moving to Texas nearly six years ago. Every time I return I drive these roads and every time I think to myself, “Man, I sure wish I had my M3 here.” Before moving, the car wasn’t nearly as good as it is now, so I always anticipated how much more enjoyable it would be now with all of the updates and modifications I’ve made over the last six years.

Strapped into the Recaro and ripping down the smooth roads, the lining trees quickly turning into a tunnel of blurred greens and browns, and the intoxicating sounds of the S52 symphony, it was a truly enjoyable evening.

The following day had a clear agenda so my fiancé and I spent the day driving the country backroads we used to ride on our motorcycles every Sunday. We stopped at a park for a quick hike and recreate an old photo from seven years prior.

Most of these roads have better pavement quality than my local track. Unfortunately there’s always the possibility of a cyclist or a soccer mom in a Denali just around the corner, there’s always a trade off.

Just a really, really nice day all around.

The following day was the big day. The car drew a crowd……….of one.

After all the fuss it was time to go home. A few weeks later my friends at Leadfoot Towing brought the car back down to Texas. I love seeing their photos of cars at night, the lighting in their trailer is incredible.

Then, shortly after we got back to Texas we were off again…

Two weeks exploring central Italy and eating way too much.

The trip home was long and tiring so naturally my internal clock’s rhythm was way off. The morning after I got home I was wide awake at 5:00 AM, and having not driven my car in over two weeks, I was excited to hop in it for an early morning drive. It’s the only time of day in Houston that the roads are really desolate.

I posted this photo on my Instagram with an interesting thought that seemed to resonate with a lot of people. It read “I like to ignore this car for weeks at a time, that way the first drive after it’s hiatus is super refreshing and a stark reminder of how great this car is.”

Often times the neglect is unintentional and I just don’t find the time to drive the car. But when I do finally get back into the car and start rowing through the gears and taking off ramps at double the suggested speed, I’m quickly a firm believer that I’ll keep this car forever.

For now, no major changes are in store. The power steering rack is leaking a little, so that ZHP rack is on the horizon. Maybe after the holidays, my wallet needs a break.

Until next time, whenever that may be.

Instagram

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    So true about getting into the car after not driving it for a while. Always a pleasure to row through the gears.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    I really enjoyed reading this and seeing the awesome photos. Congrats on getting married as well!

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Congrats Mike!

May I assume you're registered at FCP?

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    So true about getting into the car after not driving it for a while. Always a pleasure to row through the gears.
    It's super refreshing, just opening the door and smelling that E36 interior smell after a while is a little treat itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by E85STI View Post
    I really enjoyed reading this and seeing the awesome photos. Congrats on getting married as well!
    Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Congrats Mike!

May I assume you're registered at FCP?
    Thank you! Haha, my FCP Euro cart has been empty for a while. The next things the car needs is a ZHP rack and rear tires sooner than later.

I think I'm gonna try the Rack Doctor route. Anyone have experience with them lately? My luck would be to buy a random used one and then it ends up having an issue.

Instagram

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Car looks great man, I love what you've put into it.

Question - who makes the temp display you adapted into the cluster and how does it communicate with the temp sensor?
    Did you find the company that made these displays in the end? I'd quite like to do something similar.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    My last update was 11/20/22 and today is 5/21/23. It's difficult for me to believe that much time has passed, I feel like I blinked and these six months have gone by in an instant. They say as you get older time passes by faster and I'm starting to see it first hand. The days drag on but the years fly by.

Simultaneously the last six months of life has brought a lot of change but also has brought stability to some of the regular routine. Time to backfill for it to all make sense:

Still, I've been exercising the car regularly. Winter in Texas is the best, often hovering in the 50's to upper 60's, it's ideal weather for driving this car. Sunroof tilted open, windows slightly down, that's the vibe. Went out for a late night drive with some friends here post-Christmas.

Continuing through January; Although the A/C works perfectly I prefer not to use it at all and love booting around town with the windows down, so this time time of year sees a sharp uptick in day to day use and being parked outside of boba shops.

February consisted of routine washes after work and sitting pretty in the evening sun.

One of the newfound routines since the last update is consistently getting up early on Sunday mornings to go for a drive. Sometimes it's 4:30 AM, sometimes it's later. As long as it's before 7:00 AM, the roads are generally pretty empty.

In a city with a population pushing 7 million residents, it's difficult to find any peace and quiet and even more difficult to drive without the interruptions of traffic. These early morning drives have been a bit of a mental reset for me before the new week brings on it's challenges. I've come to really enjoy driving around almost completely alone while the city is still.

At some point towards the end of February I parked the car at my friends house to pick up what is basically my second car. The real owner can't read, so I'm not worried about claiming that publicly.

I've probably posted the car on here before, but if I haven't, it's my friend's 2006 S2000. What started as an almost stock AP2 has developed into the standard S2000 recipe. I do most of the work on it, so I had it for about two weeks doing some maintenance and modifications for him.

We are naturally competitive so it's been built to have a very similar power to weight ratio and runs the same tires as I do on the M3, therefor there are no excuses when we get to the track together.

My new Sunday morning tradition, this one with VTEC rather than Vanos. It's a fantastic little car that evokes some nostalgia from my youth, a noisy JDM car that rattles and creaks and smells like exhaust and scrapes on everything.

Eventually I was done with the S2000 and swapped back into the M3. For two cars that have very similar performance figures on paper, it's pretty wild to drive them back to back and note how differently they arrive at the same result. Each car has some pro's and con's for it, but at the end of the day the M3 does "everything" much better. It's a lot more tolerable to run around town in while maintaining the ability to throw down if the roads get curvy.

One of the big changes: after a lot of consideration I decided to quit my job with Ferrari. It wasn't an easy decision to make, with lots of restless nights leading up to the decision to do so, but now looking back a few months later I'm certain I made the right choice.

One of my co-workers loves that I hate Doug Demuro videos and so the cake on my last day was spot on.

I made a lot of great friends and memories here over the years, all of which I am truly grateful for. This place and the original crew I came on board with taught me a lot about the brand, the business, and myself. I've gotten to see and be a part of some really great experiences that I honestly never would have expected.

In the weeks closing out my time there, I pulled the car into the photo booth and took a few pictures on my phone. I would have liked to put more effort into it and used my DSLR, but time ran out fast. Before I knew it I had arrived at that bittersweet last day.

I took some time off before jumping into the next job, so with plenty of free time on my hands I knocked out a task I had been putting off for a while, Leatherique-ing the Recaros. They were super clean when I bought them, and have stayed clean for the time they have been in the car, but it's a 24-hour process I enjoy doing and knowing has been done.

Time for it's annual oil change and Blackstone analysis. Another great report indicating this S52 is a healthy workhorse.
    Also, I hate changing cabin filters.

Beyond what's been already mentioned, no other real changes with life with the blue car. Just a lot of routine early Sunday therapy drives before the sun comes up.

I try and make it a goal to go to a different part of town I'm unfamiliar with or somewhere that I generally steer clear of during the day to avoid the congestion. Most often when I leave the house in the morning I don't have a destination in mind at all.

Sometimes I find a spot that I like and do more sitting while admiring the car and the silence than driving itself.

It really is a beautiful city when it's quiet.

As the street lights start to change shifts with the sunrise I usually make my way over to this marketplace on the other side of town and grab a coffee.

It's a cool shared marketplace over in a mostly industrial district. Some of the guys from C&C meet here later in the morning so I see some cool stuff rolling in as I'm heading out.

With that we’re basically current. No major changes in store, but I have acknowledged in writing this that I have put off the ZHP rack for a while now, so I’ll commit to getting one purchased this week. Additionally, the rear tires will be dead sooner than later and will need to be replaced before another track day. (Maybe I should get another set of wheels so I don’t keep burning through 200TW tires.) Another thing I’ve noted and committed to improving is my lack of seat time on track, so I’m pledging to myself to bite the bullet of the steep entry fees at Circuit of the Americas and do a track day there this season.

Until next time, whenever that may be.

Instagram

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Great thread here @DrftKingIII.

I know it has been discussed at length, but I put an AAE Z3 rack (new not remanufactured) on my car and I've been happy with it.

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Love the updates, thanks for taking the time to document and posting them.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    5/21/23 ---> 10/16/23

Almost five full months since the last update. However, I blame that this is mostly in part due to the season. As I have complained before these months in Houston are scorchers, but as many cities also endured, this year was especially hot. Many days I'd find myself driving home from work and the ambient temperature was reading 110*. It's hard to argue with the civility of stock suspension, cooled seats, and overall simplicity when you feel like you're going to melt just getting to the parking garage after work.

With the only relief from living in a microwave being before the sun rises, a few Sunday morning therapy drives took place.

A couple of sunset drives too.

As mentioned in the last few posts, I finally got around to ordering a ZHP rack for the car.

I've been talking about buying one for years now, I don't know why I have put it off so long, especially considering everyone who has one absolutely raves about it.

Although the tie rods are only 10,000 miles old or so, I went ahead and ordered new inners and outers to try and make the swap more "plug and play." Not long after the new assemblies showed up, I quickly learned that the standard E36 inners would not work on the E46 rack.

You see, the E36 rack equalizes pressure in the boots with a line that runs between the two; when one compresses, the other "inflates" as it stretches. The E46, however, equalizes pressure through the center shaft of the steering rack itself. The E46 inner tie rods have grooves cut into the threads to allow the pressure to bleed off through these channels.

Now there are plenty of people who have successfully made their own cuts as you see above, but I don't have the tooling to make perfectly clean cuts like that. Sure, a dremel could do the trick, but creating stress risers on a critical part would eat away at my sanity. So, I ended up ordering a full set of E46 Lemforder tie rod assemblies, as you cannot buy the inners separately I found. If anyone needs fresh E36 inners and/or E46 outers, hit me up.

While waiting for the new parts to show up, I decided to take the wife and drive about an hour north to some of the "twisty" roads that are within a reasonable distance to Houston. Bit of an outcast at the biker bar, but the burgers were good.

I think it ended up being a 200+ mile day. The road texture was rough, vibrating the car to hell and the roads were mostly underwhelming, but it was good to get out and exercise the car outside of my normal routes.

Some further procrastination led me to borrowing my friends E92 M3 for a week. I still would really like a DCT E90, or ideally an E39 M5, but it doesn't quite fit into the cards right now, so I'll stick to stealing this one when the itch needs to be scratched. They really are phenomenal cars.

Eventually I got my ass into gear and assembled the new rack and tie rods in preparation of finally installing the whole thing.

Again, it's hard to get motivated to roll around on the garage floor when the temperatures are so high, but it wasn't going to install itself. All things considered, the install was pretty straightforward and didn't take but a few hours.

One thing that did give me some grief was the dust cover on the input steering shaft. The E46 rack's dust cover has a slot to index it onto the steering guibo. I struggled with this for 30 minutes or so, but couldn't get the E36 guibo to fit over the slot without some serious manipulation, so I ended up swapping the dust cover from the E36 rack onto the new ZHP rack.

Originally I actually planned to swap over to the solid E34 joint, but after seeing they went from >$100 to over $300, I reconsidered. I bought an aftermarket alternative for $50ish, thinking "It's just a simple u-joint. How bad could it be compared to OEM?" Ultimately I had some internal dialogue about how I was at the limit for NVH in this car, in this city, and although many report no additional grievances with this piece, I reinstalled the rubber guibo that's only a few years old at this point.

Something I had noticed previously was that the passenger side of the front bumper was starting to sag a little bit. With the bumper off, I found that the hanger has a hairline crack in it, causing it to bend upward as seen here.

I made up a quick template for a reinforcement plate for my friend to 3D print for me. The thought is that I’ll rivet/glue it over the top to help provide some additional reinforcement.

A week or two later I finally got the car over to work to throw on the alignment rack and get everything lined up properly.

That following weekend I had a pseudo track day. There’s a go-kart track about an hour north of town that lets street cars go at it from 4-10PM once a month.

During the tech inspection, the guy took a look at the rear tires and gave me a bit of a side eye. “Just keep an eye on these” he said. Those old, tired RE71’s have certainly seen better days.

I didn’t go in with high expectations, knowing that I probably wouldn’t even reach the top of third year, but actually ended up having a great time. It was especially nice considering it was one of the first weekends of “autumn” and the temperatures were high 70’s for most of the day. The event is pretty relaxed, with only 20-30 cars and basically an open run group once the sun goes down.

It was a fight for traction all night, with exit oversteer on almost every turn. At first, I was trying to keep the car in a straight line while chasing my friend’s E92, but towards the end of the day, my childhood roots of growing up drifting started to take over and I was letting it hang out on almost every exit. It ended up being a lot of fun. I’ll share some of the in-car video down below.

These were on the docket to be replaced sooner than later, but now definitely sooner.

Also tried out an external microphone, but still having issues. Oh well.

With that, we’re basically current. I took the car to Cars and Coffee last weekend and am thrilled to say I’ve graduated to background prop for obscure teenage photoshoots. Temperatures have dropped finally, so that means M3 usage is starting to go back up. As of now, the car doesn’t need much aside from fresh tires, so maybe I’ll get that squared away and sign up for the event at Circuit of the Americas next month, budget permitting. Another thing on my radar is to finally install the door panels I made a few years ago. All that needs to be done is to upholster the center armrest inserts in a fabric, but I just haven’t been able to decide what yet. But I am tired of seeing them in the corner of the garage gathering dust and the ones in the car are shit, so that should be the next project to complete. Until then!

Instagram

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    So... are you going to be bringing your QFPs to COTA? And more importantly- are you taking them back home with you?

Haha, that's a great update - no major failures and some good times. I can't hardly get my wife to ride in my car, so if you convinced yours to go with you for a 200+ mile joyride you're doing something right!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast