Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: After Hours Autosports E36 Pro-Am build

My Cars
    LS E46
    Yeah I usually don’t pull off until I’m at 240, but I’ve accidentally hit 250 a couple times. LS can handle quite a bit of heat.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Alright, here's a quick update.

Got it out to our first local DC event. No issues, but Josh is having to adapt to the way it drives now vs last season. We had to ditch the rear bar (which I don't think we should have anyway) but he says it drives way different and had a few weird spins. I don't have much media wise from that event saved as I was also driving my own car. At the end of the weekend we did a "ultimate drift car challenge" which consisted of a top speed 1/8th mile pass, a timed 3 lap autoX, and a judged drift run. Josh got 1st overall and I got 3rd in my FC.

Untitled by novablue454, on Flickr

From there we had 1 day to clean up the car and load it up to leave for the North Dakota 10k event. We ended up taking 8th overall after a hard fought OMT battle with a pro2 team (Troy Manners). The car was hard starting the day of qualifying so I tested it and found the alternator was dying, so we got one from a local parts store and had that changed just in time. Qualified 7th. Comp day was raining hard (we aren't used to rain here) and we struggled with finding grip at all. We got a buy in to the top16 and won our first battle in to the 8. After the first battle with Manners we had a small engine fire and had to call a 5. Turns out the brake reservoir wiggled out of the master and dumped all the fluid on the header. It did burn some wiring, luckily just the t56 harness we aren't using anyways. Made it back out with a minute to spare but ended up losing the battle. Here's some media that's come out so far.

Our friends over at Mspek have a rad pro2 car and we got some runs together.

Once we got back my Hubstands showed up and we found some critical stuff alignment / suspension wise that may have been a huge part of the issue. Got that fixed and going for a quick test Saturday night
    Last edited by Novablue454; 06-27-2019 at 06:46 PM.

My Cars
    LS E46
    The car looks kind of bouncy, undamped, but good to see it out there.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    The car looks kind of bouncy, undamped, but good to see it out there.
    Funny you should mention that. Once the hubstands were on and we could really see what was going on, somehow the shocks had ended up with about 1/2-3/4” of compression stroke. They had droop stroke for days though. These BCs only have like 4” of total shock stroke, not ideal. But we will be switching to all new coilovers here soon

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Here is a video from our original test day

and here is a recap video from ND

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    So we made a few small changes to the car. Dropped the rear suspension 1/2", made some rack stops, and some other little stuff. Mostly just maintenance so far.

We went out to Sonoma Raceway for the Sonoma Drift Summer Jam Shootout last weekend.

There's no media out yet so I will update once there is, but we ended up taking 2nd overall after a OMT battle with Mike Powers. I heard he was about 300hp more than us so josh did what he could. The 2nd place finish gave Josh a Formula Drift Pro2 License!

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Nice work and congrats to Josh.

Side question, how come there's so many pro2 license shootouts lately?
    is ProAm becoming a thing of the past?
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Nice work and congrats to Josh.

Side question, how come there's so many pro2 license shootouts lately?
    is ProAm becoming a thing of the past?
    Yeah, Pro-Am is dead. Vegas/Southwest Drift, Sonoma Drift, USdrift, MDU, and I think one other went to a shootout format this year. Lone Star (debatably) and The Drift League are the only "traditional" style pro-am's running this season that I know of. I did see some IG posts about Drift League not doing very good either, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it join the shootout format next year.

On one hand it sort of sucks, since it shows that pro-am attendance dropped so bad this was the solution. NDDrift had less than 25 drivers out of 40 slots, and Sonoma had 20 drivers out of 40 slots. Southwest this weekend is showing 30 registered, but I know of a few that aren't going to make it so they'll likely have about 25 as well.

On the other hand it is nice that Formula Drift is actually getting involved in pro-am and doing things like judging the events as well as making a pro-am rulebook. It's also nice for the teams that are serious about getting to pro2, as you get 5 shots at it in one season (assuming you travel to them all).

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It's almost like pro-am needs a feeder program. If you win a shootout, it's an even bigger step to pro2. Part of pro-am is the travel aspect where you have to already have a program built to support it.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yeah, but like I said, the guys seriously trying to make it to the show are traveling to all these to better the odds (and the cash payouts). When this run is over we will have towed about 7000 miles, and there's a small handful of teams doing the same. Our pit neighbor in California drove all the way from New York, and he's headed here (CO) for ours this weekend. Also, I feel like our series (Southwest) was the only one that had the travel aspect. Sonoma's series was all at the same track, and the Drift League's season is all at Irwindale. I'm not sure if MDU bounced around or not.

I think the low turnouts are due to the tech requirements, especially now that FD's Kevin Wells is involved. In the years past pro-am was scattered in what was and wasn't required, and I know of 2 cars that didn't show up to Sonoma because of the tech updates. Next year an additional ~1000 in safety will be required, and a lot of peoples SA2010 stuff will expire, so it's really going to separate the people who want to go to FD and the people there just for fun.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got quoted an extra $400 just for anti intrusion bars. Plus hans devices and halo seats. Ouchies.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    I'm ok with the shootouts but I want some comp events here too, that don't bring out 700hp pro builds. Or not, whatever I'm just there for fun. The lack of events in vegas is real right now. 2 more for the rest of the year...

Agreed that Southwest was the only one with the travel, I like the travel aspect but it was kinda far hahaha. It's like a 15 hour drive with a trailer.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I got quoted an extra $400 just for anti intrusion bars. Plus hans devices and halo seats. Ouchies.
    yeah, we usually charge 400-500 for them, plus making everyone have a halo seat this year, and now a hans next year. No cheap suits are being allowed anymore, and they're requiring socks and stuff like that at some now too. Suppression is going to be mandatory next year too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    I'm ok with the shootouts but I want some comp events here too, that don't bring out 700hp pro builds. Or not, whatever I'm just there for fun. The lack of events in vegas is real right now. 2 more for the rest of the year...

Agreed that Southwest was the only one with the travel, I like the travel aspect but it was kinda far hahaha. It's like a 15 hour drive with a trailer.
    yeah, LVMS is about 11 hours from me, Sandia is 7 when they used to run there, and i think wildhorse is about 14 hours.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Forgot to post this, this is the recap video from Sonoma

Our next shootout was thankfully local to us (about 2 hours away). Josh was killing all day in practice as it's our local track and we've ran the layout countless times. Unfortunately, we exploded a DSS "1000hp" axle towards the end of practice day. We didn't have a spare and finding one locally would be impossible, so that was the weekend. Huge bummer because the way it was looking in practice we had a very good chance.

Being short on time and DSS giving us the runaround, we went to a local axle shop and had them do what they could. Turns out the axles were made 2" too long (which DSS said was normal) and it was bottoming everything in the axle out. They welded a nut on the end of the shaft to limit the plunge. The guy at the shop said it was miracle they lasted this long. I am not sure who dropped the ball on this between Sikky and DSS, but something was for sure not right and they also mentioned finding other things wrong in the axle assembly. CVJ made us a quick new one to get us back on track and off to MDU we went.

Out at Kil-Kare things were going good in practice, with a full 40 car field it was going to be a fight and it was a lot of their home track. Josh got comfortable in practice and started running some tandems. Sure enough, right before the end of practice day...

THE OTHER F****** DSS AXLE BROKE!

Keep in mind these are 1000hp rated axles and we are making 420 at the wheels.

Being that we were 22 hours away from home we didn't want to give up that early. I pulled the remaining pieces and Josh was at a Dayton, OH axle shop the minute they opened. Unfortunatley, they did not have the parts to build a new one even though we had the proper core pieces. What they did have however, was a sketchy idea. Josh approved it and 20 minutes later we had this.

The dude cut the M3 axle end off and welded it to the DSS shaft, lmao. Whatever, it's something. Got it back installed with 5 minutes to spare until comp day officially started. The inner CV was still broken as in the photo, but we decided just to see what would happen.

Turns out, this is what happened.

By some miracle the thing held up and we took 2nd place earning another Formula D Pro 2 license! We barely got edged out in the end by our good friend / teammate Mike in his JZ S14. You may remember Mike from taking 2nd in the NDDrift shootout. He also took 1st at the Colorado shootout borrowing my FC, but that's a whole different story.

Suprisingly the MDU event was the one I was looking forward to the least on the schedule, but it ended up being the most fun.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    What I learned from this was to weld your axles together.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    A little update: As I am sure most have noticed this car is sort of getting parted out to build the pro2 car, but it's been decided to purpose it as a demo/seat time car. the dogbox, ls3, QC, and a lot of other bits are moving over, and some older parts we have around are going in it. We picked up a LQ4 and topped it off with a Torquer v4 cam, PAC .660s, a trunion retrofit, and some other supporting mods

We also picked up a used complete CX racing swap kit to get it in the car.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    If you can. please do a full review of the CX Racing kit. I hear either it fits perfectly or it's barely usable as a kit. Dispelling rumors is fun.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    If you can. please do a full review of the CX Racing kit. I hear either it fits perfectly or it's barely usable as a kit. Dispelling rumors is fun.
    This whole swap came out of a running E36M3 so I know it's at least sort of useable

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    A review would be good tho. What needed mods. what fit and what didn't. Pllllzzz

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    I have the cx racing kit in my e36 and it fits pretty well. I have had to replace the bushings in the engine mounts twice in 2 years which is pretty frustrating.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    What type is the engine mount? 90A poly?

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    What type is the engine mount? 90A poly?
    I am not sure the exact durometer of poly they use. I bought a few extra from them and was going to have someone turn me some on a lathe of a different. Maybe the uhmw stuff condor uses.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    The longer I see poly used for things like engine mounts, the less I believe in their durability. They might work for suspension components. But they need to be replaced almost yearly. It's very disappointing.

My Cars
    1995 M3 coupe
    The CX ones just seemed like they couldn't stand the heat. They literally crumbled into pieces once I got them out. Working on more heat management this year so maybe I won't run into the same issue.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    What lip did you have installed in this picture?

Realized the picture I was talking about did not appear, it was the white one on the first set of pictures of the car being done.
    Last edited by E36RACECAR; 04-23-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast