Thread: Rough idle, loss of power on cold start and sometimes doesn't start. Any ideas?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i Touring

Rough idle, loss of power on cold start and sometimes doesn't start. Any ideas?

E46 318i 2000 automatic.

Title says it all.

3 things -

- I start it up and sometimes it just keeps on cranking. I give it a bit of power and it starts up. This happens rarely.
    - After I cold start it up, when I press gas it doesn't do anything and stalls me if I keep trying to accelerate. So then I let it roll on it's own for a bit and then try again gas and it catches power and goes. Now that it's winter I turn it on and go back out to clean the snow off. It sits there for the meantime and when I get back in it, no loss of power when I accelerate.
    - Sitting there on the red light and it's just rough. RPM line goes up and down constantly. And it's not consistent either. Today it's fine, tomorrow it's rough, other day it's rough again. I filmed a short clip of it, you can check it out here-

https://youtu.be/MCUYDveWHLc

If anyone have any ideas on what's going on or what's the problem(s), feel free to share them! Thanks!

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifts View Post
    E46 318i 2000 automatic.

Title says it all.

3 things -

- I start it up and sometimes it just keeps on cranking. I give it a bit of power and it starts up. This happens rarely.
    - After I cold start it up, when I press gas it doesn't do anything and stalls me if I keep trying to accelerate. So then I let it roll on it's own for a bit and then try again gas and it catches power and goes. Now that it's winter I turn it on and go back out to clean the snow off. It sits there for the meantime and when I get back in it, no loss of power when I accelerate.
    - Sitting there on the red light and it's just rough. RPM line goes up and down constantly. And it's not consistent either. Today it's fine, tomorrow it's rough, other day it's rough again. I filmed a short clip of it, you can check it out here-

https://youtu.be/MCUYDveWHLc

If anyone have any ideas on what's going on or what's the problem(s), feel free to share them! Thanks!
    Try disconnecting the mass airflow meter so the ecu gozinta limp home mode. Before you start. If the problem goes away, but you still have low power, probably have tø replace the AMM. Or take it to someone who has a code reader.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Do a smoke test to find vacuum leaks. Common issue on older cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    05 bmw 330xi
    Try air intake hose.I had similar issues and found that the hose was cracked in several spots.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    +1 on the air intake hose, these cars are old enough that the original hoses should all have been replaced, including those in cold climates where they get brittle with cold rather than heat and age like mine.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.