Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a 2007 Z4 3.0I. Have a couple of questions

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    and I went out and looked in my 'z4 parts bag for screws, plastic clips, etc' thinking I tossed my old 3rd brake light springs in there and they were not...
    If you can't get to your old spring, maybe call or drop by your local bmw shop and ask how much for part # 63257211238
    I say this because paying $5 to ship a $3 part seems kind of silly?
    Dean
    That is a good idea. Thanks for the part number. I will call over there before ordering one. Cheapest I saw with shipping was around $8.

I'm going to buy a magnetic claw and try to find the old one tomorrow. I just wish I heard it move so I would have a better idea where it went. I should have took off plastic panels when installing the springs so I could grab them better. Good news is the new brake light looks great, lol.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Sorry, wrong spring part number above... that ones for the 135.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-compression-spring-third-brake-light-63257151981

maybe use a long ziptie in trunk to see if you can hear it hit and move it?
    Last edited by cdsweet; 12-26-2018 at 09:15 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...iABEgL-gvD_BwE

I think I will have more control with the magnetic claw but I will try anything including the ziptie. I'm kind of a perfectionist. That is why I ordered a DA buffer, pads, wheel caps, brake light etc for a car that looks great already.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    I'm kind of a perfectionist. That is why I ordered a DA buffer, pads, wheel caps, brake light etc for a car that looks great already.
    You and me both... check out my 1st thread.
    Which buffer did you end up ordering?
    Last edited by cdsweet; 12-26-2018 at 09:21 PM.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    My metal magnet was not able to curve. May pick up a flexible magnet to try to get in to other crevices before ordering another spring. The strange thing is I do not even hear the spring rattle at all so I can pinpoint its location.

Kram head to your our local Ace or Home Depot
    They have jobber bins with all kinds of odds n ends. May get lucky. Take one of the other springs with you to match up.
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Sorry, wrong spring part number above... that ones for the 135.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-compression-spring-third-brake-light-63257151981

Tried for 2 hours to get it with a magnet and claw tool. No luck not only getting it but even finding it. It was wedged in tight on the opposite end of the trunk lid. (bottom if the trunk is open) so it made no sound. After doing everything I saw online I decided to try your idea of the ziptie. I just was hoping to find it. I had a thick ziptie from my uncle who passed away. Maybe he was looking after me because after 15 minutes of fishing with the zip tie I heard a noise. I was not sure if it was the spring or the zip tie. I fished for another 10 minutes and I had a visual. Now I just had to get it close enough to a hole to grab it with needle nose pliers. BINGO!!! Thanks so much for your great idea!!! You saved the day. I did not care about spending $8 on a new spring but I hated the though of leaving a spring in my trunk I'm so happy to report all is well. I actually had a scare and thought I broke my new light but its fine. Your idea really saved the day. I had almost given up hope since it was not making any sound at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
    Kram head to your our local Ace or Home Depot
    They have jobber bins with all kinds of odds n ends. May get lucky. Take one of the other springs with you to match up.
    Thanks Dbarton. Thankfully I found it today!

- - - Updated - - -

You and me both... check out my 1st thread.
    Which buffer did you end up ordering?
    After watching many online reviews including by professionals I decided to grab a Harbor Friend DA buffer and then spend around $44 on Lake Country backing plate and pads. Also bought Meguiars compound, polish and wax. Most my paint already looks very good. Just have to try to correct a few small thumbnail size areas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12