Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a 2007 Z4 3.0I. Have a couple of questions

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster

Bought a 2007 Z4 3.0I. Have a couple of questions

I have to change out the 3rd brake light. What is a inexpensive place to find the part? Ebay?

More importantly I find the side mirrors seem to be stuck a bit. They only move in some directions and not fast. Any advice on that?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    LCI F10 535i & E85 Z4M
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    I have to change out the 3rd brake light. What is a inexpensive place to find the part? Ebay?

More importantly I find the side mirrors seem to be stuck a bit. They only move in some directions and not fast. Any advice on that?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi there, for the 3rd brake light I just bought an OEM one eBay last week. If you have roadster, you have two OEM options. One is red lens and one is the white/clear lens. Z4’s except for the Z4M came with red. The Z4M came with the white/clear. The clear seems to be $20ish dollars cheaper. I paid $65 from a BMW dealer on eBay.

Part Numbers:

White/Clear: 63256930246
    Red: 63256917378

When you reinstall, do not over tighten the 3 nuts/springs on the back. If you do, it will crack the lens. BMW revises the springs to have a lower force to prevent cracking.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by NGAAutoTV View Post
    Hi there, for the 3rd brake light I just bought an OEM one eBay last week. If you have roadster, you have two OEM options. One is red lens and one is the white/clear lens. Z4’s except for the Z4M came with red. The Z4M came with the white/clear. The clear seems to be $20ish dollars cheaper. I paid $65 from a BMW dealer on eBay.

Part Numbers:

White/Clear: 63256930246
    Red: 63256917378

When you reinstall, do not over tighten the 3 nuts/springs on the back. If you do, it will crack the lens. BMW revises the springs to have a lower force to prevent cracking.
    Thanks for the advice. The part numbers should be a big help. The one I want is always more expensive, lol

Any ideas on the power mirrors barely moving? Are they gunked up or a bad switch?

My Cars
    LCI F10 535i & E85 Z4M
    Thanks for the advice. The part numbers should be a big help. The one I want is always more expensive, lol

Any ideas on the power mirrors barely moving? Are they gunked up or a bad switch?
    No problem! With the mirrors - are they both moving slowly? I haven’t experienced this yet, but my gut says it could be the motors showing their age. But if they both are moving slow that could point to something else.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by NGAAutoTV View Post
    No problem! With the mirrors - are they both moving slowly? I haven’t experienced this yet, but my gut says it could be the motors showing their age. But if they both are moving slow that could point to something else.
    Drivers side moves up slow and down fast. Passenger side moves down fast but not up at all. I read a few people saying something inside gets gunked up. I also read another person saying the switch contacts sometimes have some issues.
    Also the horn really needs to be pushed hard to make sound. Is that normal?

Other than that I'm liking the car. I just taught myself the paddle shifters (thanks youtube). They are fun.
    Now got to figure out the memory seating and if it has tilt steering. It did not come with a manual.
    Came with an expensive car cover which I have no use for here.

My Cars
    EXOTICS

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Manually move the mirrors side-side, up-down until they rotate smoothly.
    Don't worry, this does them no harm, I do this every time I wash my vehicles.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Thanks dude. I downloaded one.

- - - Updated - - -

Manually move the mirrors side-side, up-down until they rotate smoothly.
    Don't worry, this does them no harm, I do this every time I wash my vehicles.
    I did that a little yesterday. Now that I know it does not hurt them I will do it more and hope they loosen up. Thanks for the advice!

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I rotated the mirrors manually. I noticed both only go down (not up or sideways) and that is the only time I hear the motor so I think it may be a bad switch.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    I rotated the mirrors manually. I noticed both only go down (not up or sideways) and that is the only time I hear the motor so I think it may be a bad switch.

Either the switch pad needs cleaning or someone uninstalled the mirrors to paint them and did not reinstall the motors in the correct orientation, or the motors are starting to fail! I would start with cleaning the switch and go from there.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by tekoo View Post
    Either the switch pad needs cleaning or someone uninstalled the mirrors to paint them and did not reinstall the motors in the correct orientation, or the motors are starting to fail! I would start with cleaning the switch and go from there.
    Sounds like a good plan!

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Feel like I won the lottery today. I found all the manuals and records in a pristine case in the trunk next to a brand new looking tool case. When I did not see them in the glove box I assumed they did not come with the car. Now I have some reading to do.

Edit: Even found the bluetooth pairing key!
    Last edited by Kram71; 12-21-2018 at 02:36 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    From personal experience, buy the oem bmw part and not aftermarket. Every time I wash my car I think about buying an OEM light. When I got mine, the light was busted and bought an aftermarket one and it simply doesn't fit right. It's probably something that a 'normal' person would never notice but it bugs me. My new aftermarket one did come with replacement spring though so I have that? You can pull the door/mirror switch and clean with CRC circuit board cleaner. The switch controls are located in a bad spot for spills from cup holders.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    From personal experience, buy the oem bmw part and not aftermarket. Every time I wash my car I think about buying an OEM light. When I got mine, the light was busted and bought an aftermarket one and it simply doesn't fit right. It's probably something that a 'normal' person would never notice but it bugs me. My new aftermarket one did come with replacement spring though so I have that? You can pull the door/mirror switch and clean with CRC circuit board cleaner. The switch controls are located in a bad spot for spills from cup holders.
    I ordered a aftermarket one a few days ago but if it doesn't fit I will send it back. Ordered some wheel caps, a buffer and pads as well. Took the car to a neighboring city tonight. I really enjoyed the ride. It feels so much easier to drive than my 1999 M (The Beast). I feel like I got a really nice car with this Z4. I'm very excited. I will go buy some CRC cleaner this week and hope that fixes the switch issue. Thanks for the advice. Any advice on prying that switch up?

My Cars
    EXOTICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Oh man that is perfect! Thank you so much!

I'm really enjoying this car. It drives so well. The power, pickup, handling, etc are awesome!

My Cars
    EXOTICS

Thumbs up Oe-oem lifetime warranty free shipping

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Thanks a bunch Miky.
    Curious why this board is so dead. I'm loving this car. I'm surprised more people are not on here.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Seems to be a slump across all the boards.
    Must be a trend.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I screwed up and dropped the spring in the trunk lid. Having a hard time finding it. I have a magnetic tool. Sure hope I can find it soon.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    New brake light looks great but that spring may be lost for good. I will ask my neighbor if he has a powerful magnet to get it out. In the meantime I will have to order a new spring. UGH I should have taken panel off before trying to install the springs.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    My metal magnet was not able to curve. May pick up a flexible magnet to try to get in to other crevices before ordering another spring. The strange thing is I do not even hear the spring rattle at all so I can pinpoint its location.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Any advice on prying that switch up?
    Using a nylon pry bar start prying up from the front once once you get that released, slide it forward.
    Pelican has a write-up:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

As for being quiet... It gets pretty slow around here during the winter months.

Dean

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    Using a nylon pry bar start prying up from the front once once you get that released, slide it forward.
    Pelican has a write-up:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

As for being quiet... It gets pretty slow around here during the winter months.

Dean
    Thanks Dean! Much appreciated!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    and I went out and looked in my 'z4 parts bag for screws, plastic clips, etc' thinking I tossed my old 3rd brake light springs in there and they were not...
    If you can't get to your old spring, maybe call or drop by your local bmw shop and ask how much for part # 63257211238
    I say this because paying $5 to ship a $3 part seems kind of silly?
    Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast