Thread: potential purchase in pennsylvania

My Cars
    soon

potential purchase in pennsylvania

Hey all,

I'm potentially looking to buy a Z4 Coupe in Pennsylvania (Ephrata, PA 17522 specifically) and have it shipped out to CA, but I'd like to ask the community some advice before I commit. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nearby mechanic that could do a pre-purchase inspection? It's got a fair share of miles but it's not intended to be a daily driver. I'm mostly concerned about the body condition given it's been in a place with regular snow and other weather phenomena that's foreign to the Bay Area life.

Thanks for any tips you can share!

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    I live about 50 miles west of that area & use repair services in my area. However, I am aware that there is a BMW Dealership in Lancaster, PA which is nearby (within 20 miles) of Ephrata). Although it's not my 1st choice since the dealership will be more costly. I kind of think given the distance you are from this area it might be your best choice. I believe there also might be a BMW dealership in READING, PA. Google BMW dealership Lancaster, PA & the do the same for Reading, PA. Then determine which dealership is closer to your sellers location.

Maybe someone else will post with a location of a Good Indy nearby.

lot's of luck with it

My Cars
    soon
    Thanks! It seems they may be resistant to take the car somewhere for an inspection after getting this email back: "Sorry, but there are only 3 of us here and we do not have the manpower for that." Sigh. It looks like I'll be hunting for someone local that will do an on site.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    I'm guessing this potential sale is from a vendor? I'm aware your from far out of state and totally unaware of this area. This area is the land of the Amish with there Horse and buggies and farms. However, Ephrata is also really, really near Manheim Auto Auction. This is reported to be the largest auto auction place in the world. Here is the site for this auction and you'll see Ephrata on the map.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=manhei...&setlang=en-US

There are many, many small dealers in the general area of this auction who buy insurance wreaks thru this auction and cobble them back together. This includes flooded cars which were sold to be parted out

Given the sellers location and their resistance DO NOT BUY WITHOUT A THIRD PARTY INSPECTIONS. However, whoever you get for the inspection should also review the paper Title of this car as well.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    Do Not Purchase a BMW without official BMW dealer inspection! Used car inspection is around ~$200 at dealer and worth every penny! Buyers that skip this inspection ALWAYs regret later on. Local BMW shop/indie is not an efficient alternative to the dealer when it comes to pre-purchase inspection!

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I have bought and sold cars online. I think you can get some good deals that way BUT wouldn't you rather spend a little more and see the car in person if its not a crazy insane too good to be true steal?

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    Quote Originally Posted by tekoo View Post
    Local BMW shop/indie is not an efficient alternative to the dealer when it comes to pre-purchase inspection!
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by tekoo View Post
    Do Not Purchase a BMW without official BMW dealer inspection! Used car inspection is around ~$200 at dealer and worth every penny! Buyers that skip this inspection ALWAYs regret later on. Local BMW shop/indie is not an efficient alternative to the dealer when it comes to pre-purchase inspection!
    I bought mine without getting a ppi done but I only paid $4500.
    Some days, I feel a lot smarter/dedicated than the folks at my local BMW dealership. If I could only find a decent deal on a cf19 toughbook I'd be better than 90% of them in the country.
    Definitely not saying a PPI should not be done. But at the time, I felt as if the price I paid, the vocal agreement I had with the seller and my 30+years of wrenching on cars I was pretty confident in the purchase. I just kept telling myself if the engine is kaput, I'd learn how to swap an M Driveline in to... or last straw, dismantle and sell for parts.