Thread: New User, Looking for advice, mods, friends, etc. 2000 BMW 5 series

My Cars
    2014 BMW 550i Xdrive

Exclamation New User, Looking for advice, mods, friends, etc. 2000 BMW 5 series

Hello everyone, I got my 2000 528i about a month ago and decided it's time to join the forum. I'm from Ann Arbor Michigan, My dad has a fiat 500 abarth and spends a lot of time on those forums. When I got the car I put on carbon rotors and new brake pads, as the car made noises when braking. This didn't solve the issue, leading me and my dad to believe the front control arms are worn. We plan to fix this when it gets warmer. The other day it threw on the check engine, EML, and BRAKE warning lights. It wouldn't get out of first gear easily and kept going in and out of limp mode. Pulled the codes and it became clear that my throttle body was acting up. I brought it to a specialized German car shop and I got word this morning they're doing a fuel injection cleaning, they wanted 1400 for a new throttle body + installation but me and my dad can do that in the spring. Hopefully I have the car back this afternoon. Hopefully I meet plenty of you guys with similar cars, Will post more pictures when I get my car back. Cheers

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Hi... I moved your post to this sub-forum where you'll find like minded 5-series owners. Enjoy!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1999 5281
    welcome, and good luck with your new to you E39. how many miles on it? throttle body changeout is a fairly straightforward job, new one is around 750 for your car. as youve already stuck your hands in it diy'ing, thats the way to go, elstwise shops will slay you on prices. lots of experienced folks on here who are always willing to lend advice. whenever you get a code, always note it down for future reference.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Hi and welcome to the forums. You'll find lots of information on here for sure.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah for these cars scanning is essential. You need to get your hands on a decent scanner that will hit all the modules in the car. Search the threads here, you can go PC-based with INPA and a K+DCAN cable, or you can try a Creator (something like the 310 model?) that's a stand alone device that doesn't have nearly the full range of capabilities, but is super convenient since its a handheld and doesn't require computer futzing around to get/keep running. There's also a Foxwell device (510?) . THere's also software from "PASoft" you can buy clones of on eBay ("BMW Scanner" is their tremendously imaginative name), and that works pretty well too.

The key is buying a device or software that's really BMW compatible vs just OBD. You'll get way better codes and "live data" from a BMW-proprietary setup. Get one of those solutions then scan your ECU (called a "DME" by BMW so get used to that) and your ABS/DSC and see what it says. Not sure I trust the shop you went to. If its the throttle body the codes are pretty specific. There are other things that cause limp mode too (did the dash say "ENGINE FAILSAFE"? or "TRANS FAILSAFE"?) but having codes is essential.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum BBB.
    See if you can find a set of Bentley manuals, they are pretty handy if you've never wrenched on a BMW before.
    Might be good to scan the local junkyards for BMW parts, unless you like paying thru the nose for parts.

A Fix It Again Tony, are they anymore reliable than they were in the old days?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Welcome.
    +1 on figuring out how to scan your BMW-specific codes. The K+DCAN cable + INPA, NCS EXpert, etc. is a good way to go. You will also need the connector to attach OBD2 to the round 20-pin connector under the hood.

I am not big on mods, but for the '99 & '00 E39s in my driveway:

- cheap cupholder off Ebay that sits in front of HVAC controls - very functional
    - a set of clear/white aftermarket tail-lights, side lights and headlight lenses (not whole assembly) off Ebay/ Amazon for US$300 total or so.
    - While you're opening up your headlights, replace the adjusters which are almost certainly broken & polish your lenses
    - MAYBE an upgraded aftermarket head unit- particularly if your pixels are dead. I am about to try an EXtrons (remove E) in mine

As for your throttle body(aka MDK) - that's a real problem for owners of '99 and '00 cars, which used a different TB than did '97-98 and '01+
    - The TB fails, but so does the harness, or the round connector in the harness. its 50/50 whether its harness or TB
    - replacing it is not exactly plug and play, you have to reinsert the connector properly and you have to reset adaptations in INPA
    - replacing the throttle cable - which is likely rusty/crusty is also a good idea
    - most of the time, the successful, long term fix is to replace both the TB and the Harness. New parts are best(a ton of money $$$) but used TB's and a low mileage harness will keep it going for a while.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Hey effy, if you get that X...trons unit can you let me know how you like it?
    I need to buy something to put in my '33 that has functions like that unit has.
    Don't need high end sounds, already have them from the engine and exhaust!

My Cars
    2014 BMW 550i Xdrive
    Thank you!
    I think so. Not sure how bad they used to be, but it's a 2013 abarth and has been rock solid. It's heavily modified and he's done everything on it himself, never gave a dime to a shop. He's always on forums though, he loves it!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    This is December 2020, right?
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    Maui, right? Hey BBB, care to fill us in on what your experience has been since you last posted 2 years ago? You received lot's of good advice here when you came asking for it. Would help others to know if you were able to use it and what happened with the issues you had on the car.