Thread: Help with vacuum routing/ diagram lines

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto

Help with vacuum routing/ diagram lines

Ok I give up. Been looking for a bit and diagrams leaving me pained.

I pulled my intake manifold to replace my harness. I think that a few brittle vacc hoses broke, before I rally got a chance to look at them. My process was to replace abc vacc line, one at a time and cit new line to size . But since I did that on the broken ends —-DOH—- I cant tell what goes where now as the puzzle piece doesn’t fit.

So #1 where does the line on the far right from drivers side above fuel rail connect to? ( I feel like I may be ,issuing parts based in diagram maybe a previous owner deleted something.

#2, what about theses open ends. I have a nipple—- exposed. And a nipple that appears to have a bit of broken hose remaining. Does this connect to number 1 in q above? This is off the underside of the intake on the rear driver side.

Finally, the hose pipe off the secondary on other side is totally brittle. Can you just replace it with hose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    M52 Tu

In this pic, it looks like maybe part 9 and 14 but no reference on the legend on the diagram,. Also, I see no “non return valve” on my car, so is that like maybe a check valve someone just deleted ?

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Going from old memory here ... I think the line coming off the top of the fuel rail should connect to the fuel pressure regulator (plugged into the 3/2 valve) under the car (left or driver side in the US).

The open port on the back/under-driver-side of the intake manifold probably should connect to the checkvalve (non-return valve) that you say is missing from your car? (They're cheap by the way ...).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_7539

The hose from the checkvalve (non-return valve, #6) plugs into one of the ports on the "electric valve" (#5). That non-return-valve has only one orientation, obviously ... The electric valve just clamps in under the intake back there but hard to tell when you can't see the thing ...

You can buy the secondary air pump hose by the yard/meter at most dealers. I think it's some sort of silicone high-temp stuff intended to withstand the heat coming off the exhaust headers.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Hmm. I have the line from the secondary air pump running to the valve under the driver side which is 3/2 That’s the way it looks in the diagram and unless there is a T I don’t see the fuel line rail tying in there.

I saw in a different discussion somewhere that the fuel line rail may be a vent or at least has low vacuum that generated quite the discussion a few years back. People were discussing the viability of a delete.

I was able to find my check valve . it looks like it fell off while removing the intake ( old hoses) and landed in obscure spot in my engine compartment. The length of the hoses that were on there seemed to want to form a little tiny loop at the end of the manifold, and go from the manifold to the electric valve as you say —tucked in under the intake.

I guess I will know when I start this thing up..

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    You know as I look at that diagram, it makes sense kind of in that the line on the fuel rail does go back to the secondary air pump Eventually . Hmm I wonder though if I can get it it on the top of that electric valve without re removing the intake.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Line coming off the fuel rail is not shown in any diagram, but I think it goes to the 3/2 valve (FPR) under the car (not to the SAP). The secondary air pump line goes from that small SAP on the front right (passenger side) of the engine toward the firewall and around to the electric valve, as shown in the diagram (link) in my post.

Maybe someone else will chime in with better explanations. [Adding a comment ....] In your first pic in this thread you show the hard line on top of the fuel rail, with a piece of rubber hose that's been cut. That rubber hose might be the wrong size, but it should run to the 3/2 (FPR) under the car. Usually the hard metal line has a hose that connects into a hard plastic line near and running down under the firewall. Do you not see anything like that down there, disconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornk View Post
    You know as I look at that diagram, it makes sense kind of in that the line on the fuel rail does go back to the secondary air pump Eventually . Hmm I wonder though if I can get it it on the top of that electric valve without re removing the intake.

Last edited by pleiades; 12-18-2018 at 05:08 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    so basically I switched the lines. the line from the sap, goes to the electric witch and then the check valve (im not concerned with direction of flow at the moment, and then the line from the fuel rail goes to 3/2 valve. That actually makes sense after reading the 3/2 valve material. SO basically it is somehow venting and recovering a little fuel /air mixture.

and so you said the check valve only has one orientation and its obvious.. I think I have it...

I realized the nipple I thought had broken pipe on it was actually a cap in the daylight

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    I’ve been looking at diagrams for this thing any guesses on it before I sew her back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Those are little plastic runners that fit right beside each intake port on the intake manifold, and easily drop out when you remove the intake manifold gaskets (with the manifold off the engine, or course). Make sure not to lose them (there are six), because BMW doesn't sell them separately; they are included with a new manifold.

Did you already re-install your manifold? If yes, you need to take it off and put that back in (and make sure the rest are in. In your diagram, see the little round hole on the side of each rectangular intake gasket hole? That's for those pieces.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    doh!

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornk View Post
    doh!

I know that feeling and you aren't the first to misplace one of those. I don't think I've ever seen them mentioned in any of the service manual materials or DIY write-ups. I was fortunate to notice them about to slip out as I removed the old gaskets from my intake. If memory serves, they channel air in from the idle-control valve.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Yep.. well good news bad news as if the case with these affairs..

Good news I hadn’t yet bolted manifold and being a little ticked got it off faster and it’s now upside down. Lower abdomen and back getting good exercise.

Bad news it appears two are missing and I only have one, so maybe the last guy lost one too?

I think this job has been done before. Same gasket. Upper coolant and possibly lower hose has been replaced. Think from this leak maybe it’s this one that’s missing

Injectors look clean? Head and valves too.

So it must have ran without it?

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Much better view of electric valve and manifold inlets

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Maybe it will run, but I would try to source another. Put up a want-ad in the classifieds? You can get M52TU manis used on places like ebay for cheapo, but are you sure you haven't dropped another one on the garage floor? Longshot but maybe a local BMW dealer would be willing to help.

Just saw your new pic. Make sure any mani ports you don't use (for hose connections) are capped, otherwise big vacuum leak (or was that pic taken before you re-attached the nonreturn valve between the "electric valve" and manifold port?). That electric valve just clips into place but have to remove it blind most times ....
    Last edited by pleiades; 12-18-2018 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto

Help with vacuum routing/ diagram lines

So regarding the lines, there are three ports coming off the manifold end. One was capped, the other receives. Big hose which I know what that is.. can’t think of its name but no question on that port, leaving the one small port. Which I assume goes to the check valve, and then in to the port in line or parallel with the electric valve per the diagram in your link.

Leaving the remaining perpendicular port, which is really depicted right side up in the diagram but is up side down under the manifold ( for us spacially challenged) . On that port,you go back to the SAP. Again, per diagram .

Then you have hose above the fuel line, that shoot over the firewall connecting to a hard silicone vac line that makes it way back to the 3/2 under driver side.

Then you have the sucky jet pump that connects under the manifold and another inlet right beside it that I think receives the fuel evap line.

The other inlets are occupied by various ccv components and the iacv .

So other than the plastic runners and the 11 m manifold bracket bolt I’m good to go,,,.now do I tackle powersteering and radiator and ....while I wait on sourcing a plastic thing..

Hope this thing runs when I’m done ....

Last edited by bjornk; 12-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Those manifolds on eBay are pretty cheap...may be worth looking at u pull it. Dying to put this back together

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    In the future , this will be a good candidate for a 3 d print job...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Got it all back together. Pulled a used manifold off a e 46 for 23$ made me appreciate the room in my engine bay. ....