Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Build log: LS2 330i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ugh. That makes sense. It still should have the lower bolts to hold it into place too. I just hate hacking that much out of the core support.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    20190414_090931.jpg20190414_090938.jpg20190414_091002.jpg

Cutty cutty. Wound up cutting more than I wanted but the piece still feels rigid enough to mount the headlight. I also moved the radiator more towards the engine to mount the top of the radiator to the core support lip. Also to make my premade coolant lines fit easier. Still a ton of room for fans on both sides.

Anyone know the CFM rating of the stock fan? I'm trying to decide if it's worth attempting to use it or just go aftermarket. I got a second kid coming so... saving money anywhere is nice.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    57620770_1236531389844778_3561453578390339584_n.jpg

Man. looking at all these other threads of people machining cool parts and doing awesome fab... and I'm here making a radiator mount. I welded the tabs flat to the stock tabs on the frame so I was sure it was straight. And I made it bolt in so I can remove it when need be.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Being a parent and having a second kid any second really saps your available time lol. Wound up mounting the stock fan upside down to clear the upper rad spout. Oil cooler is mounted. Now just doing the power steering cooler. It's not the best spot but I wanted a good protected area in case I hit during tandems.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yay car runs. Although my wiring makes the car run for ~10 seconds after you pull the key out... so I should figure that one out. I also didn't let it run too long since the trans is empty and I'm still waiting on the drive shaft.

Oh and my radiator has a leak. Hoping I can get Mishimoto to warranty it. It's coming together though!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You'd never know there was a t56 under there lol

Last edited by protomor; 05-04-2019 at 09:05 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Radiator is on order. Mishimoto warrantied my leaky rad. Which is great of them. Also my drive shaft came in. Bolts up just fine. So I'm super stoked.

Capture.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Short story, I'm having a daughter today. So with taking care of my son and an infant, Ill probably be too busy to get much done on the car. So here is (hopefully not) my last update for a while.

In keeping with my sleeper look, I went with stock M3 wheels as they are the widest cheap wheels I could find. Instead of rolling the fenders, I cut out the inner liner so they would be easier to roll later. Although they don't necessarily look like they need it. It is only a 235 on it though.

Anyway, Mishimoto warrantied my busted rad (ty ty!) so I had to fab for the differences between the last radiator and this one (it had tigged on goodness and I cant tig). One of the two fans are wired up. I need to see if I can trip the stock fan easily. Or just parasite into the wiring. Drift shaft is in. Most fluids but brake fluid is in. Car starts. I'm REALLY close to driving this thing.... without an exhaust :-D

20190513_065243.jpg20190513_065252.jpg20190513_072505.jpg
    20190513_072511.jpg

My Cars
    LS E46
    Stock fan requires a PWM signal to operate, you’re gonna need to bypass the speed controller and use a relay. The GM PCM fan outputs don’t supply 12v, they send to ground, so you’re gonna need a relay anyways. If you still have all of the stock electronics in the car and the coolant temp sensor from the lower rad hose, you may be able to get the fan to operate normally on its own - this worked for a friend of mine - I, however, was not that lucky.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I do have that sensor but I also have 2 relays powered by the ls pcm already. It's easy to feed 12v to the stock fan. I just dunno what to do with the third pwm wire.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Not sure what you mean. Without an actual PWM(pulse-width modulated) signal, you can’t use the stock speed controller at all. Not even +12v will make it turn on. Unless you have the stock DME controlling it, you have to bypass(eliminate) the speed controller completely and just treat the fan like any other - on or off.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm fine with treating it like a normal fan. Just on and high is fine with me. How do I do that though? There's 3 wires.

My Cars
    LS E46
    There’s 3 wires to the speed controller, not the fan. The fan only has two wires. That metal box on the shroud is the speed controller - it needs to be bypassed. How you bypass it is up to you. You can eliminate it completely, or cut the traces on the board and bridge some heavy gauge wires across it (this is what I did because I like everything to fit and appear OEM).

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ooooooh ok!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Got any Google links on this? I'm pulling up nothing. Cant I just give that third wire 5v or whatever the max voltage is and be done with it?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Shoot. I wonder if i could just wire the sensor wires together with a bridge and "trick" the fan to always be on... Worth a try.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Who knows, maybe it is a 5v signal and that’s why it didn’t work when I applied 12v to mine. Let me know your results.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Hmm. Well a quick check says the fan big wire gets 12v as long as the power is connected to the battery. My fan also doesn't have a box attached to it like I see on pictures of other E46 fans. it just goes straight into the center. I'll have to remove the fan and take a look. Googling is giving me crap so far though. I already have a relay that gives power when the LS2 PCM tells it to, I just need to power the stock fan somehow. I guess I can just crack it open.

Time is on the low side lately. Baby #2 showed up this past monday.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Yes, the speed controller has power at all times, that’s why sometimes the fan gets stuck on and kills the battery when the speed controller fails. As for your fan’s speed controller being built into the motor, that must be an off-off-brand because even the Taiwan knock-offs have the separate controller. You may be SOL.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Googing around says it's an early model siemens unit. Might be recalled for catching fire (lol) I saw someone else open it up and it's a decent PCB with nothing obvious to link up to in order to just run it manually. Reading somewhere says that if I can just give it a 160hz signal, it'll kick high.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Funny. Looks like its partially blown up inside. Don't see any easy way to just bypass this and hook up 12v tho. Thoughts?

My Cars
    LS E46
    I don’t see any way. Looks like a brushless motor - they require electronics to change the location of the magnetic field instead of a conventional commutator and brushes. Without the electronics, it’s a paperweight.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Le sigh.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ps

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    well I suppose I'm gonna get a new stock fan one day.. I think my 3k pusher should be ok for now. Had to redo my brake line fixes. I reran them far away from the exhaust. While down there I noticed a leaky oil connection at the oil pan. My damn clutch bleeder relocation just ends at a 4an fitting with a cap so there's no way to bleed it. Ugh. Car is starting to fight me. To redo the brake lines, I had to remove the headers and the motor mount. So that's going to be fun to put back in. But hopefully with all that back together, the car can go around the block... without an exhaust lol.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast