Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Build log: LS2 330i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

Build log: LS2 330i

I figured I'd start a new thread since this will be a log of how the LS build is done. There's a bud of mine fixing to make a bolt in LS E46 kit for retail sale so I'm hoping to be his guinea pig. First step is pulling out a perfectly good motor and driveline.
    48395293_345280199599169_4990976921094324224_n.jpg

Plans:
    M3 rear end until the diff blows up then go OS Giken
    2006 pontiac GTO LS2 and T56
    Thaniel module
    ???

Yes I'm planning to keep the AC and not crack open the system in this process.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Hm....... A perfectly good 330 motor, you say? What would be looking to sell it for? It'd be a consideration.... I'm not so sure mine's super healthy, and if I had another motor (and trans?) I might amke myself a manual rwd 330i wagon....
    I'll love to see how you adapt the A/C, as I'm not sure what that will entail.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I dunno. bare bare motor 600? The diff already got sold but I'd probably do 1500 for the main driveline. I'm open to offers.

The AC I think should be pretty simple. The BMW side has one more rib than the LS side. I just need to fab a mounting plate that uses the stock tensioner. Wiring should stay BMW.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    still going with the thaniel module even though WS has their plug and play out? I guess you like to play with the Arduino stuff anyway IIRC.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    The thaniel module has stuff to make the cluster play nice. I don't think the wiring specialties harness does that. I still have the LS harness from the E30 so I'm just planning to find what wires went to what on the E30 and find the analogous wires on the E46. Hopefully the wiring is easy. Who knows.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    The thaniel module has stuff to make the cluster play nice. I don't think the wiring specialties harness does that. I still have the LS harness from the E30 so I'm just planning to find what wires went to what on the E30 and find the analogous wires on the E46. Hopefully the wiring is easy. Who knows.
    The WS harness makes the whole OEM cluster work with the swap, but you also have to convert to DBC and 24x

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    That's pretty cool but man $1300 is a bit much. My harness should be good to go with just a few extra bits plugged in. Fuel pump, alternator, fans. I'm really hoping to just graft the E30 bits to the E46 and be done with it. The thaniel module is only $150 in comparison.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Small little update. Old motor is out, put out low compression (120 range) which makes sense for a 300k mile motor. Not sure how to sell it. No one seems to want it.

Picked up this guy (https://treperformance.com/i-6323875...1998-2007.html) since it's a no mod drop in 255 fuel pump. Hopefully the cheapness doesn't bite me in the ass. I also picked up an early model fuel filter since it doesn't have the FPR on it. I have an after market FPR that I'm gonna put on. Left over from the E30 LS swap.

That should round out the fuel system. Next will be cutting out the shielding around the brake booster and the drug bin. I'm not sure it's necessary but it sure makes working on stuff a ton easier.

My Cars
    LS E46
    The drug bin isn’t in my way at all. Had my motor in and out probably a dozen times over the past couple years. That side is super easy to work on. And I only notched the driver side, there’s still sheet metal between the booster and exhaust. That side, however, is a bitch to work on but I’d rather have some protection from the heat.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'd rather remove them and not need to have done it than kick myself later. Worst case, I can make a bolt on heat shield for the booster later. Shouldn't be too bad.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    it also makes it look 100% better.

My Cars
    LS E46
    You’re way overestimating the size of the engine. It’s just plain tiny inside an e46 bay.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You might be right. I'll trust justin since he has one. I do recall the vorshlag instructions explicitly saying to cut out the booster shielding tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I did the bins purely for cosmetic reasons, but you do have to cut the shield around the booster

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    20181229_104306.jpg

I feel like I should document this somewhere so here works. I've been too out of it to do the youtube series I wanted to so I might as well brain dump.

My harness is from an 06 LS2 GTO and it was wired to the C101 connector from my E30. So the wiring is simple enough to figure out what goes where.

The LS has:
    Blue wire to c101 pin 9 which is the tachometer
    Purple wire goes to the starter
    another blue wire that seems to be the check engine light (grounds to turn the light on)
    2 pink wires that should go to switched power
    black red that goes to the e30 starter's unloader relay. But tracing these wires proves it's just an engine ground on the LS side

The fuel pump is the fun part. On the E30, the fuel pump relay is on the engine harness so that's where it is on my LS harness. From what I can tell, the LS powers the fuel pump relay to turn it on while the E46 grounds it. So my simple solution is to wire the engine harness relay to ground instead of power and have that relay trip the stock relay. Because why not make things more complicated?

Pictured above are the 3 connectors I cut off the stock harness. Top most is the coil power/ground connector (x60541), middle is the starter connector (x6011 pin 1 to starter, pin 6 to unloader relay "wiring"), and the last connector (x60531) is mostly switched power. So that should be all I need to wire things up. Factory DME will sit around still plugged in and eventually the thaniel module will get wired in so the cluster works.

What a pain for just 7 wires!
    Last edited by protomor; 12-31-2018 at 08:57 AM.

My Cars
    LS E46
    I don’t know what the starter unloader relay is - never dug that far into my e30 before I found out. But the purple starter wire simply needs to run to the stock e46 starter wire.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    The unloader relay turns off a few things like heated seats while the starter is engaged. The E46 seems to have a similar concept but it goes to the cluster. Not sure why, but I might as well hook it up the same way.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    So I pulled out the rear subframe in prep for the M3 bits. It wasn't too bad minus the ebrake lines.

I picked up this fuel 255 fuel pump (https://treperformance.com/i-6323875...1998-2007.html) and installed it today. Fit like dick. The pump is too thin to fit inside the casing so it's just wobbling around in there. The internal fuel line didn't fit well. I had to lube and heat it up to get it to slide on properly. No instructions and it comes with extra parts so... joy.

I also swapped the fuel filter back to an early model style so I can use my aftermarket FPR that converts to returnless.

I got some por15 to do on the reinforcements and my floor repair, new passenger's seat, and I'd still like to cut out the drug bins. I'm coming close to the end of what I can do without putting the motor in. Cmooon buddy. Let's get this done.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Maybe this would help, although it didn't fit in my 99 328 housing

https://www.amazon.com/Radium-Engine.../dp/B071DJW2BZ

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    $65? I'll just let the pump dangle for now lol.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    For the fuel pump I saw a dude skin the stock pump and use it as a sleeve. He wrapped it around the new pump and said it fit pretty snug. I have an aem 340lph going in mine and was planning on doing that. I read on radiums website that the sleeve they make is for m3 only. Not sure if that's true. But just food for thot.

Edit: I work for mini cooper. The R56 Cooper S has a 255lph fuel pump as standard. I believe it is the correct size, assuming the e46 non-ms use a 43mm pump, which would also mean the sleeve kit from radium would work. I'll measure some this afternoon and report.
    Last edited by Jrcanes55; 01-16-2019 at 11:03 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I wonder how bad just letting it dangle inside that casing is. It's got the sock around it. Ugh, maybe I'll just pull it out and shove a hose clamp around the damn thing.
    Last edited by protomor; 01-16-2019 at 12:59 PM.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    ive just been using a stock M3 pump for a few years now with no issue

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea I thought about an M3 pump but this was a nice 255 retrofit that was supposed to do it cheaper. I shoulda just got an M3 pump but whatever. I already got this one.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well I cut almost to brake lines hacking up the booster shield. Outside of cutting out a section and bending in a new section of hard line and unions, anyone know a simpler fix? I'd replace the whole line but these go to the rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast