Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Build log: LS2 330i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well frack. Kinda wish I knew that BEFORE I cut up a bunch of stuff to push the rad forward 3 inches <_<.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    So head gaskets are done and heads were checked out and decked. If the car is bled and then run, it's all good. If the car is started from cold, the coolant pushes out of the expansion tank cap. I have 2 caps, one on the expansion tank and one on the rad. Both overflows T together to go to an overflow tank. The expansion tank is a 48-52 psi unit (lol) and the rad is a random no label. I swapped both caps to a stand 32psi and bled the car and everything is fine. Gonna try again today to see if it stops pushing out the rad cap.

Kinda frustrating. I was sitting in my driveway with my daughter just warming up the car and it's shooting out the expansion tank cap yno? like wtf?

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Tank is warped... Tried 4 caps and it still spews out the top when you first start the car cold. I can squish lines and hear it gurlggling out the cap and SEE the bubbles. -_-

Gonan take a belt sander to it to flatten it out. maybe double up on the cap to tank O ring.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Capture.jpg
    well hopefully a 3300 CFM flexalite puller will help my 2k CFM pusher. I have a stock E46 fan in there now. No one can tell me the CFM. I also have a derale controller. No probe to shove through the rad fins. It's a sticky pad on the cold side. I think that's the bottom pipe of the rad on an LS lol.l Hopefully I can keep my temps rock solid with this. Cross fingers for no more issues.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Long time no see. USDrift Street Legal opened up their rule book to allow "2 more cylinders than factory" so I finally got to enter one. I don't have much tandem experience and legit have never done a comp so it was such a new experience for me. Had a bunch of buddies to be my crew. They pushed me super hard beyond my normal bounds so the day was 10/10 awesome. Qualified first and finished 4th. I basically took myself out being 100% on everyone's door and not having a good plan for some of the trickier transitions. Doesn't matter, my skills grew 5x and I gained a lot more confidence in my ability.

Car def needs maintenance work. I think I'm leaking trans fluid through the driveshaft seal. I'm really looking into a CD009 swap but probably no time soon.

DSC_4978.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Watch me lose. Here's my lead on the top 4 battle
    https://youtu.be/1wS7WtTxnu8

Knowing he was far behind, I should have known to not go balls to the wall. But here's my chase
    https://youtu.be/RyAbgXiVag4

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ever since I went to the SLR kit, I haven't had a front sway bar and it's always bothered me. On the E30, I had strut style tabs but because they were so heavily offset, the car would tip toe at full lock just sitting still. I would have reverse rake.

With the E46 SLR kit, Sean included control arm tabs. But the E46 bar didn't sit close enough to the slot and everything was off at bad angles. Not to mention the 1/2 effectiveness of changing the mounting location.

E36M3LX on the board sent me some bits to make this setup. It's how the RTR FD mustangs run their sway bars. I offset mine 8 degrees rearwards. I forget why. Stoked to try these out. I'm hoping to pick up overall speed. My car has hella body roll. I'm also trying to shed weight to help with that.

20210713_165330.jpg20210712_165121.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Sway bar works great! My alternator however, does not.

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    glad the sway bar is working out for you!!

i just installed a front sway mounted on the upper most rear of the strut on an e30 with slr half kit and e46 arms... no binding!! just needed custom endlinks with those super duper swivel rod ends

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Top most REAR? got pix? I would think the angle would produce more binding.

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    it's an e30 that's used for part time drifting so we weren't too worried about binding. also, it doesn't have a lot of steering angle, only has e46 arms/slr half kit and near stock offset wheels. but yea, top most rear, so basically the original mounting point if it was an e36 strut. no binding with one end of the end link loose with no nut and the super swivel rod ends. too bad the rod ends and reducers are like $150 lol makes it a little expensive when you factor in the other costs.. no pics for now, ill ask my friend if he has any.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got around to doing a comp this weekend. The sway bar def causes some issues at high speeds. I'm not sure how to describe it. I mostly drove around it though.

Either way, I don't remember much but my hand got jammed between the steering wheel and either my hand brake or my leg just after entry and I supposedly caught some good air. Looks like the shock tower shifted a decent amount. I think it's fixable but I'm kind of taking time to decompress. It was a few hard hits on the ride.

My hans device def did it's job. GET ONE!
    20210822_163857.jpg

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I got around to doing a comp this weekend. The sway bar def causes some issues at high speeds. I'm not sure how to describe it. I mostly drove around it though.

Either way, I don't remember much but my hand got jammed between the steering wheel and either my hand brake or my leg just after entry and I supposedly caught some good air. Looks like the shock tower shifted a decent amount. I think it's fixable but I'm kind of taking time to decompress. It was a few hard hits on the ride.

My hans device def did it's job. GET ONE!
    20210822_163857.jpg
    damn, glad you're okay. hope the car straightens out for you.

are you getting any binding from the sway bar? you should be able to turn the wheels by hand (with the car in the air) from lock to lock with ease. if the front wheels aren't easy to turn lock to lock by hand, sway bar may be binding a bit. should be an easy fix.. if you have any binding just let me know.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I think I do? Kind of hard to turn the wheels lock to lock right now lol. The driver's side hits the rear well...

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    when you can get to it, drill another set of holes in the sway bar farther forward to help line up the end links with the mount on your strut. I'm assuming you are using stock e46 bar, it may be too far rearward causing some binding. hope that makes sense, text me for pics if needed. I had the same problem on my brothers e36, quick grind and re-drill did the trick. I'm thinking maybe your mounts on the strut shoulda been more like 25-30 degrees rearward instead of only 8. stock e46 bar is designed for complete rear mounted endlink on the strut so it goes way far back past the strut.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I've done that in the passed and it only caused more binding. Either way. I'm just gonna sit tight for a bit. I've been "go go go" on getting all the seat time I can. I think I need to calm down for my wallet's sake.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I go to a frame shop soon. Wish me luck.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Hey, I should update these just like everyone has mentioned lol. A ton of stuff got destroyed in the wreck and my wallet is hurting from 2 engine rebuilds so I did my best to patch it up. Got an E46 M3 CSF triple pass. It seems to work alright. The rad gets hot but cools down pretty quick. I think that's a sign the radiator is beyond its ability and not that there's air in the system. The longest course is about 60 seconds of run time, I'll start a run at 200F and end it at 220F. And by the time I get back to the pits, it's back down to about 205F.

I disconnected the front sway bar again. It turns out the aluminum I was using just fatigued and the rod ends were wobbling around in it. I really want to get a functional sway bar. I got so much damn body roll.

275224639_1272640513244509_4427907393143368337_n.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Hi.

so like... I sold the car. It's a long story but I'm moving to Japan. Want to pick up something there (probably not german). I've bene liquidating my whole life and building an S52 E30 for side cash. Either way, car went to someone trying to get into drifting and it'll stay local. Hopefully it stays around for quite a while.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678