Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Build log: LS2 330i

My Cars
    LS E46
    I’ve sure never heard of anything besides those two options. I suppose if you can tig really good...
    Cupronickel line bends super easy, doesn’t corrode and looks really pretty - though it’s kind of spendy.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Capture.PNG
    Stupid minor update. I got the gas pedal in. The DBW pedal is so tall that hits the steering shaft. Moving it to the left was hard because there's a bunch of wiring brackets in the way that I wound up cutting out. I bent the pedal over a little until I broke my wooden bench. The pedal isn't in the most ideal spot but it works for now. Pedal adapter is 100% bolt in with no chassis welding so that's nice.

I pick up the rest of my parts on the 16th so I'm really just killing time until I get everything in. Hopefully the weekend after I can get the motor in.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I bent the F out of my DBW pedal to get it in and in a good position. I actually cut it twice and bent it in to like a Z and then welded it.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea I might cut and weld it one day. Well see how much I hate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    LS E46
    The steel ones supposedly have a very similar sensor to BMW’s DBW pedal and is close enough in values to work. Someone on here did it with their E39 if you look around.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I saw. I might do that one day. That's why I made this one bolt in.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got my parts in. Been working with Committed Service Brand (does Austin Meek's and Taylor Hull's cars). The moroso pan doesn't come with bolts or gasket so, crap, I have to order that. On top of that, I can't find the right bolt for the pickup tube. Anyone know if I can just find a bolt in my junk pile and locktite it in and be fine?

Rear suspension is mostly in. But of course the M3 diff has a broken bolt I have to extract. I also ordered a clutch masters fx400 8 puck clutch so I'm excited about that. Hopefully I can get the motor in soon.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Pickup tube bolt can be anything. Oil pan bolts are probably gonna need to be ordered as a set tho, there are 2 really long ones at the trans.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I ordered the ARP oil pan bolt set for gen3/4. I think that's right. LS engines have too many combinations. It gets so confusing >_<

I also completely botched the bolt extraction out of the diff. Hopefully I can salvage it by buying more tools. Remember kids. Center punch then drill in the CENTER.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I never actually though of doing a little punch in the center..... I'm an idiot.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea I have a center punch for it too. I just screwed it up

My Cars
    LS E46
    They’re red-loctited in place, you need to heat them to ~500F to break the bond.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Are they? This is the big bolt that mounts the side of the diff to the subframe. I dont get the design. It's so terrible.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Oh I thought you meant inside. Never mind.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    20190224_072657.jpg
    So after a lot of cursing and an ER trip to get a stitch put in my finger, this is what I pulled out. It actually punched a hole in the diff somehow. All the threads are jacked so I'm gonna drill it out and helicoil it. I thought people treated M3s well? This looks like someone ugga duggaed for a solid minute straight. Wow what a pain. Literally.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Lots of stupidity in the world. Too bad there isn’t a cure.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I mean I'm pretty stupid for knuckle punching a cutoff wheel with only latex gloves on lol.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I mean I'm pretty stupid for knuckle punching a cutoff wheel with only latex gloves on lol.
    A few weeks ago my finger tip met with a cutoff wheel and it was no fun. Strangely it didn't really bleed despite cutting into the nailbed pretty well, and it healed up really nicely lmao

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea something about the grinder makes it not bleed as much. Altho I'm still cleaning blood spatter all over my house and garage.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Hopefully this thing goes in today. Wish me luck.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well the rear sump made things hard. Had to basically undo the subframe and steering shaft. Oh well. It's in now. Hopefully it doesnt have to come out.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    you put in in without headers on? Mine the headers physically can't fit in or out with the engine in, they have to go with it.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea they fit in with the motor in. But uh, they arent complete headers so we'll see. I got a lot ahead of me. 3 inch down pipes too lol.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I take that back. I can barely get the passenger's header in but the driver's side 100% won't go in. i also think I installed one side's mount upside down.

Man the driver's side is tight. I have no idea where to mount the fuel pressure regulator. I also think the header is gonna be super close to the ABS module. Gonna have to heat shield the brake lines on that side too.

My Cars
    97 M3, 12 135i
    Next time pull the intake manifold. Takes 5 minutes and makes it about 50x easier to clear the firewall when putting engine and trans in together as a unit.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast