Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Build log: LS2 330i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

I made a video. It's boring. Give me views to inflate my fragile ego. Or not. That's ok too. I'll be over here making an etch-a-sketch out of my engine's oil.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Well lemonade out of lemons I suppose. This will let me redo some of my brake lines so they are tidier and cut out more of the ABS shielding to make header access easier. I also started labeling stuff with a real labeler so I don't forget where things go. Small detail but super helpful when it comes to swaps and custom wiring where all the wires can't easily be different colors. I also can't ever pull a FREAKING motor without spilling EVERY fluid >_<. I had all the coolant drained and the moment the motor starts going up, more spills out like your mom on a night out with me. Also the T56 takes hella more fluid than I thought. Half of it is on my floor because it shot out so far.

Also doing drywall... it's so much fun. But white garage walls will help reflect more light and attract finger prints. Also also put an LED light above the engine bay for more visibility. How's yall doin?

20190907_140935.jpg20190907_140945.jpg20190908_102901.jpg

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Motor is still getting worked on. Cam is fine. Crank had metal on 2 of the rod bearing surfaces. Soo custom bearings and machining the crank for me. My engine guy says it was the best case scenario I could have hoped for. But man Having to get oversized bearings does not make me happy.

Also, I randomly picked up an E46 manual XIT sport wagon for $800 this weekend. It's been on my list of cars to buy if I ever saw for sale. PO was an OBGYN so... cool? I'd post up a thread here but it's awd and going to be my DD lol.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    78375742_548270709084673_6150664442301382656_n.jpg

Picking up the motor this weekend. Don't know when I'll have time to put it back in. I have 2 other cars ahead of it. and it's cold outsid.e

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I need to put the motor back in the car. Holidays give me no time to work on a car. Doesn't help I bought another car and have a customer car with weird CELs I can't figure out.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Tfw your son gets tired of your crap and starts putting your motor back in for you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    4 weeks to get it running when you have 2 kids under 4? Yay! My clutch line kit has just a 3 or 4 an fitting with a stopper (for the T56). How the H E double fack do you bleed that? 3d printing some parts to help with the shifter and 3d printed a cool helmet mount. Yay progress. I might be doing a demo at the end of feb so hopefully I can iron everything out soon.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    It's not a remote bleeder?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It is but it has an AN cap. Not a bleeder.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I figured the forums would be more a buzz during offseason. I got the car back up and driving. Sunroof delete leaks like a no body's business. Anyone have suggestions on better installation for a FG delete panel so it doesn't leak but still looks oem?

Anywho, ran the motor a few times to temp then changed the oil. Speckles came out but nothing magnetic. Should just be the bearings breaking in IIRC. Got an oil pressure gauge on the torque app up and running but I want an audible alarm. Next is to get it road legal again but I'm not sure how to pass emissions. Either way, the car looks good to go again. So I'm pretty happy. I should be able to do a full season without interruption as long as I don't blow another motor. *knocks on wood*

How's yalls winter build?

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    I bought one of the off the shelf fiberglass sunroof deletes and sealed it w/ clear silicone... haven't had an issue with leaking. My off -season "build" will be consisting of new extended e36 LCA's, Garagistic offset solid lollipops, and new inner/outer tie rods. Then finally a proper alignment.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I think I just need to pull off the sunroof delete and redo it from scratch. Bah. oh well. I think I got it to seal for now.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Drove dirty to work just to see if temps and pressures held. So far no leaks. No major vibrations. I still have a ton to do butt I think I'm over the hard part. Yay! Even passed a cop on my way home.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    So I either have a collapsed lifter or I spun another bearing. Sigh.

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    So I either have a collapsed lifter or I spun another bearing. Sigh.
    What makes you say that? I've been following along a bit since I'm doing my swap right now too. Just wondering what would cause another spun bearing unless something in the block is too far out of spec.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Something inside the motor is clacking when warm. It's now to the point where it's always clacking but definitely louder when warm and at higher rpms. I did my second oil change on the car and still got speckles, but nothing metallic (stuck to the magnetic drain plug). Doesn't sound like it's coming from the heads. I've heard a broken rocker before.

Normally bad bearings make the sound all the time and revs only make the sound more frequent. Not necessarily louder. At least it sounds too quiet to be bearings.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Short update. The car is at Committed Service Brand's shop because I'm just done messing with the motor. The motor failure is a mystery. The crank bearings are wiped again but the cam bearings and everything on the top end looks fine. It suggests a slight oil failure on the bottom end. Could have been a clogged passage or something.

Either way, crank is done. Got a new used 6 liter crank and just redid all the bearings and what not again. Committed is getting the car back together for me just to wrap up the car to make it solid. I like working on my own stuff but at this point, I just want to drive

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    Sorry to hear that. Definitely can be frustrating when oil starvation affects only one part of the motor. I'll assume the shop rebuilding the engine checked all passages, oil barbell, etc? Hopefully it won't happen again.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It was hot tanked and cleaned the first time. But definitely being extra checked over this time. Luck of the draw I guess.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    5 laps and blew a heater line... Anyone have recommendations for under hood temps? I got 1 inch hood risers and header wrapped my headers. Still gets hot AF down there.

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    Vents in the hood would be my next step.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Hey look an actual update! Commit Service Brand did the second rebuild of the motor. The motor def died mysteriously with no real known reason why. But all bearings were replaced. Fresh 6 liter crank from another 4th gen.

This weekend was a double header. Within the first 5 laps on Saturday, I blew a coupler on my heater core lines. I think the headers being so close just fatigued the plastic until it just died. I replaced it with a brass plumbing fitting from home depot. The car only lasted a lap or two before it would overheat. So I need to figure that out somehow. CSB says I need to push the rad forward and get a much better puller fan. My bad skills are near 0 so that will be fun.

As for driving, I was definitely rusty and only had an eyeball alignment due to time constraints. But once I figured out the car, it felt pretty good. Tons more confidence to huck it in at mid/upper third gear. I only brought 1 set of kenda kaisers (pre 20a or whatever people run now). Super grippy. I guess they lasted ok? Good smoke though.

120825483_719626515258068_4860723714968725686_n.jpg20201003_102136.jpg20201003_171222.jpg20201003_103052.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Short update because I'm very annoyed. That line popping off was either caused by or caused the HG to crap itself. I battled some issues with getting a fan system that would work with my (apparently) odd sized radiator either way. I just got mad and took it back to CSB. It sits. Waiting for diagnosis and repair. Pretty damn close to chucking the whole car at this point.

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    Sorry you're having trouble man!! Don't give up!!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    CSB says I need to push the rad forward and get a much better puller fan. My bad skills are near 0 so that will be fun.
    Chase bays sells a "tucked radiator" kit with an aluminum radiator and 2200 cfm fan that moves everything 6" forward.

https://www.chasebays.com/products/c...mw-e30-e36-e46

Never tried it myself and 2200cfm isnt a lot, but maybe that's because I am so used to rear mounts at this point I know nothing about setting up a proper front system

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast