Thread: No spark No run Issue

My Cars
    1996 bmw 318i

No spark No run Issue

I'm having a no spark, No run issue, on my 1996 bmw 3181. I got the car from a friend that couldnt get it running, and really didn't want to mess with it. When i first got the car, it ran but only on cylinders 2 an 3. It had some vacum leaks, I took care of them replacing with new. Started it up again, and i noticed the coil pack was smokin. I replaced it with a new one. i check the plugs and wires they where good. i check the dme and found it to be faultly. I sent it in to be repaired, Got it back i hooked it up with out mounting it and it wouldn't start at all. pulled the Dme back off and sent it back. I have it back now but don't want to hook it up before i do some other test.I was told to check to coil again and the new one i just put on was bad. I returned it and they gave me another new one. I've check all the wiring and noticed theres a 8mm red power cable that runs from the posi jumper port and goes to the other side of the motor. I noticed it wasn't in this plasic clip and was resting on the motor. put the cable back on the clip and noticed a wear mark on the casing. I then took me test light and probed the wear mark to see if it was open to the cable. It was indeed, Could this be my problem theres no burn marks, could it be just bouncing on the edge and grounding it self when ever it had a chance too. Any thoughts on this would be great.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    The DME must be grounded. Not that this is your main issue, but before you make decisions, mount that thing or at least ground it.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    theres a 8mm red power cable that runs from the posi jumper port and goes to the other side of the motor. I noticed it wasn't in this plasic clip and was resting on the motor. put the cable back on the clip and noticed a wear mark on the casing. I then took me test light and probed the wear mark to see if it was open to the cable. It was indeed

If an 8mm thick main hot wire from the B+ terminal had actually shorted against the engine, it would have enough power to WELD with. You'd not only see huge burn marks, but you might not even have a car left.

+1 to the fact that you need to have the DME mounted / grounded, or in many E36's you won't get a spark or injector pulse. That coil pack needs to be grounded too. (If not, it will probably smoke and burn.)

I can't say for sure, because I'm not there to see and test things, and I don't know your experience level, but it sounds like you just might be causing your own problems by leaving things ungrounded. (Speaking of which, is the engine ground clean and tight?)

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471