Thread: New car - insulated glazing or single pane

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000

New car - insulated glazing or single pane

Hi Guys

I’m planning to upgrade my old E36 with a nice e38.
    In this case, I need to know if it's worth getting a model with the Insulating double-glazing (S352A), or just stick with the single pane.
    There are many e38 models here in Europe with both types of glazing.
    Now, I've read a lot about a delamination problem but so far ONLY with the protective glazing (S357A).
    The protective glazing, is very rare on the e38 in Europe. Will never buy one of these due to the problem stated above.

Are these insulating S352A windows, prone to delamination as the Protective glazing (S357A)?
    Is the insulating double-glazing (S352A) worth it, compared to the single pane?

I really don't wish to have any expensive delamination problems, but on the other hand I would like a really quiet ride/cabin.

Thanks a bunch

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    I would be interested as well as to what people say how much noise difference the single vs dubble window pane is..

No direct experience with the double pane, but in my single pane equiped ‘97,most noise seems to come from the top of the windshield and sunroof area....

probably like anything else, the quieter it gets, the more”other “noises you hear...I drive an 02 Dodge Ram, and with that Cummins rattling up front, I hear no wind noise at all... Come to think of it, Hear much of anything, other then the engine..
    Pete

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    I've got single pane glass in my E38 and in isolation (as in, no other cars around) it's very quiet on the highway. Just a little bit of wind and tire noise, but not much (and I don't think much of it comes through the glass). But when there are other cars around, you do get some tire noise from other cars coming in through the glass (like in most cars). I'd expect the double pane glass to quiet that down a bit so you hear less of the cars around you.

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    I have the protective glazing. Not only do they have a delamination problem, they seemed to be prone to cracking from just slamming the door. My driver door and right rear when my then 5yo "slammed" it. BMW replaced all four delaminated under a good will warranty way back in 2006. Even the replacements delaminated. I currently have single pane in the driver door and left rear because they got so bad. Which I'll do on the passenger side when it's time. To answer your question I do believe I hear more road noise but the same as any other car on the road with single pane which is most of them.

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000
    Thanks a lot for your replies guys.
    I'm probably going for a facelift model 1999-2001 along with the standard insulated glazing.
    Another thing I've spotted mentioned on the forums a few times, is a leaking fuel tank.
    Has this issue been fixed at the facelift models, if not, how bad is it in the real world, how often does it happen?
    Last edited by mamij; 12-29-2018 at 09:02 AM.

My Cars
    1997 750iL
    I've had my 11/96 for 3 years, known it for almost two decades.

S352A is in perfect shape... maybe the earlier ones are better? This car has been garaged most of its life, driven in winter conditions quite a bit, but not much in really hot conditions.

I haven't had the fuel tank leak, but fuel hoses have been problematic.

Where I really like the double glazing is driving in town -- you feel like you're inside a bank vault, insulated from the outside world... the loudest sound sitting at at traffic light in a city centre is the stepper motors for the climate control doing their thing.
    Last edited by JeffCullen; 12-30-2018 at 01:52 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 735iA m62tu 2000
    Thanks a lot for the help guys.
    Been reading a lot on the forums about the reliability of the 740i vs 750i.

I do DIY on my cars, and the V12 looks to me, like a nightmare to work on.
    Doesn't look like, there's much room for anything under that hood.

But is it true, that the V12 is much more reliable than the V8?
    What about electrical problems, maintenance ?

Also been reading about some horror stories on the V12, this for instance:

https://my750.com/

Any of these things to keep in mind?
    Last edited by mamij; 01-10-2019 at 12:29 PM.