Thread: Throttle body elbow for full bolt ons?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il

Throttle body elbow for full bolt ons?

Got everything set up for full bolt ons on my 01 740il, only part I’m looking for is a throttle body elbow that fits the 4” MAF that goes with the tune I got.

Haven’t been able to find anything online, what have other people who put a 4” MAF done between there and the throttle body?

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I've been wondering the same thing. (I have the 4" MAF tube and 4.8 TB. Not sure what else I want to do before getting the tune, etc.) I have some incomplete info to share.

For starters, it looks like Dinan made, and might still make, a tube for that to go with their larger TB. The only reason I say that is because of this picture I saw somewhere.
    Dinan Intake, MAF, Tube.jpeg

Here are some other tubes I bought to consider:
    MAF to TB Tubes 2.jpg

The one on the left is a silicone tube I got online (from Amazon a while ago, I think). It has 4" and 3.5" ID openings. It will fit well on a 4" MAF tube and the 4.8 TB. Does not have openings for other small vac hoses. (SJP, etc.) I'm not sure it matters (that one would ever notice the difference), but I suspect this would be the most aerodynamic option. Silicone might also insulate the intake air a bit better.

The next two are from N62 engines. The one in the middle is from a 745. The one on the right is from an e60 545. Those were made to fit the 4.4 N62 TB. As they are, they will not slide on the 4.8 TB easily, though it feels like I could warm them up and force them on. On the other end, I'm less confident that I could force them to fit the 4" MAF tube. They might need some kind of adapter. They have a fitting for the small (1/8") hose, but not the larger fitting that the M62 tube also has for the SJP hose.

I've also looked at the BMW tubes for the N62 4.8 -- I don't think they'd work well as a retrofit to the M62, for several reasons.

Something else to consider is the left and right rocking of the engine relative to the CAI one is using (whether a stock air box or Dinan type CAI), and whether that motion should be isolated or transmitted to the CAI. The picture of the Dinan set-up above shows 2 adapters on each side of the MAF that would absorb play and vibration. The baffles on the used 545 tube shown above wouldn't help with aerodynamics, but they are flexible enough to absorb that motion easily. The ones from the 745 are real stiff. And though the silicone tube is relatively pliable in some ways, it is stiff in that direction. (And I wonder if repeated heat and stress would cause it to fail or collapse.)

So...as I said, I have incomplete info. (For example, I have not researched the Dinan option, whether it's available or whether it has fittings for other vac hoses.

You might also want to ask this on the e39 section. Many folks there know a lot and have done similar mods.
    Last edited by R Shaffner; 12-15-2018 at 10:07 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    I boiled and managed to get the stock one around the MAF housing but your post has given me a bunch of avenues to explore for a more ideal setup.

I definitely am aiming to have the MAF and CAI isolated from the engine movement. I had been considering fabricating a metal elbow and Using silicon or accordion style unions to allow movement and the nipples fittings could easily be added in

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Let us know what you come up with. (This has been a slow-burn upgrade for me.)