Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z3 coupe market?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0

Z3 coupe market?

I've got a silver 2001 Z3 coupe, that I rarely drive any more for a variety of reasons. ~55k miles. orig owner. Thinking of selling, so started looking at the market. Looking at Autotrader, cars in this condition are listed in the mid-20k's.
    does that sound right? Any sense on demand, typical selling price, etc.?

thanks

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    From the Buyer's Guide: Avg Price: $21,590.30

Those are average asking prices of M54 cars with under 75k miles. There are 12 cars currently that meet that criteria. I see a low of $12k and a high of $27.9k. 10 have clean titles.

http://www.z3coupebuyersguide.com/li...000&EngineID=6

FWIW.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 12-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    In my opinion, the best place to buy and sell at this time is cargurus. My brother is regional manager for 14 dealership stores and said he pays a $35k per month fee for listing with cargurus and it’s worth every penny. He said it’s miles ahead of any other classified service out there growing in leaps and bounds while sites like autotrader are dying. Before he told me this, I found my M Roadster on cargurus. When I happened upon it, I couldn’t believe the number of Z3 listings. They also display the range of value for each listing and where the listing stands within the range. As in, great value, average or overpriced. Take a look.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    $35k per month fee for listing with cargurus and it’s worth every penny.
    That's pretty steep.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Totally agree. I said “don’t you mean per year” and he said nope, per month and it’s worth it. Just imagine the profit for several hundred new and used cars per month.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 12-15-2018 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Thats interesting to hear. I have noticed cargurus show up when I search often. Its how I found my E34 last year

In my opinion, the best place to buy and sell at this time is cargurus. My brother is regional manager for 14 dealership stores and said he pays a $35k per month fee for listing with cargurus and it’s worth every penny. He said it’s miles ahead of any other classified service out there growing in leaps and bounds while sites like autotrader are dying. Before he told me this, I found my M Roadster on cargurus. When I happened upon it, I couldn’t believe the number of Z3 listings. They also display the range of value for each listing and where the listing stands within the range. As in, great value, average or overpriced. Take a look.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pman View Post
    I've got a silver 2001 Z3 coupe, that I rarely drive any more for a variety of reasons. ~55k miles. orig owner. Thinking of selling, so started looking at the market. Looking at Autotrader, cars in this condition are listed in the mid-20k's.
    does that sound right? Any sense on demand, typical selling price, etc.?

thanks
    I turned down a 2000 2.8 silver coupe at 75k
    $8000.
    A couple of years ago. Have the non M coups appreciated that much? Mid $20ks for a non M ? Really ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M Coupe
    No way are non m-coupes breaching 20k even with the mileage.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    No. A 75k mile non-M FZ-3 is typically under $10k. Many run in the $8k range. The “M”s are another story. $10-15k with 75k miles up to $30k with really low miles. Price varies by condition, miles, etc. For the latest in pricing, go to cargurus.com and browse the year, model and miles.

I personally believe a good investment is a super low miles “M” Roadster or “M” Coupe. A 2000 model is just entering the “classic” era of cars. If it’s super clean and kept that way, it should appreciate as it gets older. In another 20 years, it should easily double its value if it’s well maintained and the miles stay reasonably low.

i just got an immaculate 2000 M Roadster with 20k miles. Strictly perfect weather drives will likely double the miles in the next twenty years. At that rate doubling its value or more should be no problem.

Nice option for retirement.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Quote Originally Posted by chemicalviper View Post
    No way are non m-coupes breaching 20k even with the mileage.

I suspect a lot of this has to do with the bubble that EAS created. The other aspect is the difference between asking price and actual selling price.... but long term I suspect like the housing bubble of a decade ago: there are a lot of owners that will be forever "underwater".

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I’ve only looked at roadsters. Clean, low mile M models were routinely priced in the $20k range. Close to $50k with less tha 5k miles. All Z3 generation.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    There are two different M Roadsters.
    S54’s I suppose I could agree.
    But a nice lower mileage S52 version. Mid teens at best.

Under 5k miles. You won’t find many of them.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I was referring to S52s. Mostly 2000 and 2001 models. Some priced high teens, others low to high twenties. Anywhere from 10k-50k miles.

I’ve seen one under 5k miles and it was priced at $50k. I actually saw a 2000 M with zero miles. I forget how much. I think it was around $75k. Nice traveling BMW showroom piece.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I’ve been looking at cargurus.com. The Z3 M Coupe prices were insane at $50-70k with relatively low miles.

Link:
    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...#resultsPage=2

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I was referring to S52s. Mostly 2000 and 2001 models. Some priced high teens, others low to high twenties. Anywhere from 10k-50k miles.

I’ve seen one under 5k miles and it was priced at $50k. I actually saw a 2000 M with zero miles. I forget how much. I think it was around $75k. Nice traveling BMW showroom piece.
    You won't find a 2001 Roadster with an S52. All of the 2001 and 2002 models are S54's.

Marty

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Thanks. I wasn’t sure what year that changed. Still learning. But the 2000 M Roadsters are still priced in the $20k range with low miles. That can be verified on the link I provided.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    I’ve only looked at roadsters. Clean, low mile M models were routinely priced in the $20k range. Close to $50k with less tha 5k miles. All Z3 generation.
    I think the real market for roadsters is a fair bit lower than $20k, ie, earlier this month picked up a S52 with 42k miles for $15k... but we're talking coupes [which in my book have their own non-reality].

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Lots of ads and lots of comparisons available for the OP.

Searching cargurus.com nationwide for similar coupes should give an idea of actual value. The site also shows how long the ad has been posted giving a further clue as to possibly being overpriced or not.

KBB and other book value sites may work well for late model cars, but once the car becomes a classic, fair market value goes out the window.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 12-30-2018 at 09:48 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.5L 5sp
    Lots of ads and lots of comparisons available for the OP.

Searching cargurus.com nationwide for similar coupes should give an idea of actual value. The site also shows how long the ad has been posted giving a further clue as to possibly be overpriced or not.

KBB and other book value sites may work well for late model cars, but once the car becomes a classic, fair market value goes out the window.
    Though again: all those prices are asking prices... actual sale prices would be more telling in terms of "value".

My Cars
    z3
    If I asked $300,000 for my 200K+ mile Z3 coupe would you use that to determine pricing of yours?

Looking at just asking prices is a bit pointless. Go on ebay and see what they are selling for or look at the sales price graphs on the buyers guide.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I totally agree. When you see an ad on cargurus and it’s been listed for 6 months, it’s likely either junk or grossly overpriced or both. And, no, I wouldn’t use those as criteria for listing my car. But, I do believe any Z3 that’s clean with low miles will sell for more than “book value”.

When I was looking for my Z, I spent months looking at every search source I could find, ebay and our forum buyer’s guide included. There were many Z3s around $7500, but they all required a fair amount of work and money. There were more possibilities and cleaner cars in the teens. And, the next jump to M models that were super clean low mileage cars in the $20k and up range. If I were selling a car, I would reference everything and set my price where it made sense.

By the way, asking opinions on the value here is also one of those resources.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 12-17-2018 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    In order for an S52 roadster (the cheapest model of z3 based M variants) to sell for above $20k it would have to have less tha 20-30k miles and even that's a stretch without a hardtop.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Depends on the buyer. I paid a premium price for mine (just under 20k miles), but feel it was well worth it. I also have no interest in a hardtop, so mine doesn’t have one. I had recently driven an Austin Healey replicar with a 350 V8 priced at $24k. It was a piece of junk. Dodge Chargers are priced as high as $250k and I’ve seen them sell for well over $100k.

Keeping a low mile pristine M Roadster in the same condition should see the value continue to rise, especially since it’s now identified as a classic and there will be no shortage of buyers.

I’ve been following classic cars ads for a long time and every year, I’m amazed at how much the prices have gone up and they continue to sell.

If you want proof of S52s selling for over $20k, search cargurus.com. And, now with them hitting 20 years old, they’re going to start showing up on classiccars.com with even higher price tags.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    If someone offered me $20K for my well sorted 98 M Roadster with 70k on it and a hardtop
    I would bite their hands off

$15 at best

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Thanks for all the input, and i appreciate the additional sources. had been using Autotrader and ebay (but very few sold listings for coupes). Autotrader seems to have lower mileage examples than cargurus, but good to see more listings. Interestingly, there is one place that has 3 listed on Autotrader (https://blusolutions.homenetinc.com/...dardbody=Coupe) -- BimmersRus, in the St. Louis area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast