Thread: Coupe trunk handle gasket figment issues

My Cars
    04 ZHP - 99 M Coupe

Coupe trunk handle gasket figment issues

Decided to replace my coupe trunk handle gasket as it’s crumbly and gross. Ordered up a replacement one referencing my vin on realOEM. PN is 51227026400.

Now there are two part numbers listed. That one as well as 51228401010. I looked at images of both and it appears that the layer is for the smaller handled trunk lid pieces whereas the one I ordered (-6400) is a larger one.

I can’t actually confirm that. Regardless the -6400 part showed up and looks like an almost perfect fit. Except it doesn’t fit. It’s too short by about 1/8th of an inch on both sides. I can stretch fit it andnmake the gasket sort of fit. But as soon as you try to actually instal it on the car the gasket will peel back.

Has anyone had experience with this before? Did I simply make a mistake and order the incorrect part? This gasket is so freaking close to fitting I have a hard time believing the other one could be better.

I’m at work right now and can’t link pictures. I have several that I will add over lunch or so forth.

Any insight on which gasket is the right one? Or if the correct one simply isn’t being produced perfectly and requires a stretch fit? Thanks in advance. I’m running no gasket right now because it’s such a questionable fit.

My Cars
    04 ZHP - 99 M Coupe
    Ok, here are some pictures:

look how close the fit is - but you can see its a bit shorton the sides:

also, although the inner ribbed parts are generally on point, you can see how putting the gasket over the two smaller holes causes the center lock hole to be distorted enough that it will not sit flush into the recesses

tell me I am not crazy here - more pictures of imperfect fit showing how you can totally lip it over and make it work.....temporarily. Once lifting pressure it immediately shrinks back

almost all of the pieces fit into grooves. Except for the outermost socket that appears to want to sit over a male plug on the trim piece itself, except there is nothing there on the trim side so....

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    OEM supplier or aftermarket? I replaced the shorter one on my '99 and it fit perfectly. Twer me I'd return and try another suppler.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    04 ZHP - 99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    OEM supplier or aftermarket? I replaced the shorter one on my '99 and it fit perfectly. Twer me I'd return and try another suppler.
    Genuine BMW part from online vendor (FCP Euro). Do you remember the PN on that? If it's 51228401010 then I can rule that one out and know mine is the "correct" (eyeroll) part

EDIT: yeah looks like 51228401010 is definitely not the correct part, meaning what I have is the correct part but simply has a terrible fit?Capture.JPG

My Cars
    z3
    I had the same issue but for the smaller handle, no resolution yet. Was gonna worry about it if I ever found a chrome handle to install

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Sorry can't find a record of purchase, but realoem says my part # is 51228401010. Have you contacted FCP? Their customer service is top notch.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Maybe a little Krazy Glue applied to the ends of the gasket? This is what was done to my E-type bumpers to hold the gasket on prior to offering them up to the body and brackets.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    04 ZHP - 99 M Coupe
    Update - this part is indeed the correct part. The fitment is horrendous. But I made it work. The secret here was using liberal amounts of butyl tape inside the little finger parts as well as the tips. Even so it's tricky and you end up having to use a plastic tool to pry out the edges around the entire gasket until it's perfect. Very time consuming and also easy to nick the gasket so it rips. I had a few small knicks myself but overall happy with the final look. Enjoy:

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    Looking good. Butyl tape was a great idea. Too bad you were forced to such extremes.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    04 ZHP - 99 M Coupe
    yeah seriously. easy in theory to replace the gasket.....turns out to be an hour long process after a few days of brainstorming.

My Cars
    z3
    Ed McKernan at BimmerBum was able to source one of the correct size. We are hounding him to find more for us to buy...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!