Thread: Keep it and Mod it, or Replace it

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0i

Keep it and Mod it, or Replace it

Hello All,

I am new to forums in general so please bear with me, but I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my current situation.

I’ve owned my 2007 Z4 3.0i for a little over five years now. I bought it with 45k on the clock and have taken up to the 91k it has now. Over the course of its life it has taken a good chunk of my wallet in maintence, which is to be expected.

The past few times I’ve really pushed it on an open mountain road near my house I can’t help but end up feeling disappointed in the performance. I think I’ve probably gotten used to what the car has to offer and it just feels a little sluggish.

I’ve been debating doing some mods because I really am attached to the car, and in a perfect world would keep it until it becomes a classic. A new exhaust and the intake manifold conversion to take it up to the 330i 250 bhp both come to mind.

Then there is is the option of keeping to stock and saving my money to get something newer and a bit sportier, and hope that I then avoid having to do any more major work on the Z4. A 2011 M3 would be my dream.

Sorry for the long post, and happy to hear any opinions on the matter!

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    Ever driven a Z4M? Might be time to try one. Roadsters are a screaming bargain right now, while the coupe market is different and prices are much higher. But a massive difference in performance. And the change to hydraulic steering from the Z4's electric setup is a major upgrade as well.
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R

My Cars
    LCI F10 535i & E85 Z4M
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Ever driven a Z4M? Might be time to try one. Roadsters are a screaming bargain right now, while the coupe market is different and prices are much higher. But a massive difference in performance. And the change to hydraulic steering from the Z4's electric setup is a major upgrade as well.
    Agreed. The Z4M roadsters are a great option and the price is unbeatable right now.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    New Vanos seals,sparkplugs,and a throttle adaptations reset may be all you need to give you back that ummppff!

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 E85 3.0 SI
    The most notable factors that seem to add significant and instant boost to my stock Z4 are:
    1-adding weight in the trunk (the rear half of Z4 is so light that most of the rear wheel drive power is lost. Think of someone that has massive quads but no weight/gravity). New tires with significant traction also help.
    2-using higher fuel grades (E 93 & 95).
    3-keeping the gas tank over 50% full at all times. The less gas in the tank the less weight in the rear -> center of gravity shifts and traction gets lost. Also the vehicle ECUs kick into the power/fuel conservation mode once the fuel drops below 50-60%.
    4-driving In sports mode (not all Z4s are equipped with this function).
    5-driving in manual mode and shifting at higher rpms. The Z4 is programmed to learn the most frequent driving style and adhere to it. This info along with seat position and A/C setting for each driver is programmed to the key memory of each driver and needs to be either reset (battery reset) or reprogrammed if not satisfying.
    6-using fuel additives to remove water from gasoline.
    7-overinflating the front tires (also helps get rid of tram tracking). I inflate my front tires to 38 psi instead of the recommended 33 psi.
    Last edited by tekoo; 12-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.