Thread: euro touring - I'm out !

My Cars
    97 528i

euro touring - I'm out !

Hey guys.....

I wound up selling the wagon and it arrived at it's new home today. The new owner is on here and has some good plans for it. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

I wanted to thank everyone for your generous help and support since I joined. I have loved the convo with everyone and still am amazed at the amount of knowledge that this group collectively retains. I was going to name out some folks whom I've really enjoyed bantering with and have always looked forward to seeing them jump in on a thread. Geargrinder (Mr. let-me-grab-some-popcorn-for-this-$#!t-man...!!) StephenVA….wbad….snotty...(dudes...where would we be w/o snotty !!??)...DannyZ….'breaker...itsbroken...jimlev…..aq uila….jp5....Plattus….thrifty......OMG...the list goes on and on (...till the break of dawn...).

Everyone has been awesome to talk with and follow along. Again...this is just a few of the amazing people on this forum..... Please forgive me for not naming everyone...it was not for lack of consideration....only lack of space...lol. I respect and appreciate you ALL !!!

We still have the '97...old faithful with 230k on the clock...so you're not totally rid of me yet. Plus....we are looking for a replacement for the wagon. We thought about another e39 but I'm lacking the time to support a car that lists cooling system and suspension components as routine maintenance items...hahahaha..... This is really why I've fallen off the planet with the forum. School, work, family....all of the stuff I have to maintain....it has consumed a massive amount of my time. I haven't been able to enjoy reading along, or occasionally chiming in with shabby advice...haha. I'll try to do a better job of checking in on you loons occasionally though...

Once again....Thank you all so much for being such a great group of people and allowing me to become a part of it.....!!

Best wishes to you all, and your families, for this holiday season and for the year ahead. From my family to yours....

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas everyone.

….and for anyone who thinks we should give trophies down to 9th place… "Happy Merrychristmahanukwanza !!"

Tony
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Tonio! Where the hell do you think yer going??? Stick around man, if you want another wagon, I snagged a $500 silver bullit 525iT from Poolman, f Figure we can pass it around like the forum slut, see how many miles we can throw at it, then sell it to the next caretaker after a few months.... lol.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Tonio! Where the hell do you think yer going??? Stick around man, if you want another wagon, I snagged a $500 silver bullit 525iT from Poolman, f Figure we can pass it around like the forum slut, see how many miles we can throw at it, then sell it to the next caretaker after a few months.... lol.
    LMAO ! an e39 rudelbumse (sp?)
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    LMAO ! an e39 rudelbumse (sp?)
    Ah yah! A modern ChittyShittyGangBang!!! “I know nothing Colonel Hogan!!!!”

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Hell, if you didn't live in a rust belt area you could come down here for rust free cars, lots of common interest buddy bonding and we could get your wife a job too! Amazon is moving in on the Crystal City area. Canton is a dead area, move east!
    Snotty and I could get you something nice and send it on its way! Start packing!

Last edited by StephenVA; 12-16-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I dunno Stephen, they’re paying Amazon to move here, but Amazon reportedly isn’t gonna be hiring local, heard they will be bringing all their people in. So..... sounds like they used taxpayer money to make the traffic worse than it already is, might not be so bad to move to Canton....

My Cars
    97 528i
    Dang guys....I appreciate the love ! I am truly moved.

Canton's a pretty good place. A lot of growth right now, which is a good thang. Plus, I'd hate to pull the kids out of school. Heck, I was used to that growing up so I don't see it as a big hurdle, but times have changed too.

Momma wants another 5-series so I am on the prowl. Been on Craigslistkiller List and cargurus but I appreciate advice on any other sites I should watch. Probably going e60, but I have a pretty low budget. My goal is being debt free, so I don't want a payment. Atlanta was my target area since I have family there. (something about birds and stones....)

I've been fortunate to have gotten damn near all my cars through my network within the dealerships over the past 20 years. That translates into "easy to put my eyes on something" before I bought it. This is a bit of a struggle buying something from afar without being able to put my hands on it.

Like I said before...I have half a mind to refresh entire suspension on our '97, fix the AC, repl. motor,trans,diff mounts, deal with the ABS lights, and replace the CCV (that has just stared to "whistle while it works" now...). I could do this for under $2K...But...again....good money to bad ?? It's not near as rusty as the wagon was !

I'd do another e39 (and she would too..!) because it really is such a damned good car. There are a lot of 'routine maintenance' items on an e39 that tend to chew up alot of my time...time I don't have as I keep grinding away at work and school. I could, however, approach it differently. If I keep with my low-initial-outlay plan, that leaves cash to replace, say, all the rear suspension as compared to links first...then ball joints...then control arms....etc. You get my point because I watch you guys do this. I haven't approached these cars that way due to time and budget....mostly budget.

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Amazon is a suck them until they die model for retail and IT workers. The local complex will be in Crystal City and will only have admin people, no developers. In other words number crunchers, HR, and Acct payable/receivable operations. White collar admin jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony, I am doing a complete suspension refresh on the 528i this winter so drop it off as doing two is as easy as one! Learn from one, rinse and repeate......
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Amazon is a suck them until they die model for retail and IT workers. The local complex will be in Crystal City and will only have admin people, no developers. In other words number crunchers, HR, and Acct payable/receivable operations. White collar admin jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony, I am doing a complete suspension refresh on the 528i this winter so drop it off as doing two is as easy as one! Learn from one, rinse and repeate......
    Yeah...not sure why everyone is so hot on the Amazon model. People tend to think that format works for all "sales/customer service" based venues.

...and LOL on the suspension re-fresh! That would be a great weekend..! We could hang...have a few beers...and knock down two cars together.

I've been driving the '97 to get a feel for what all I need to do to it. She's been sitting for about 6 months on a battery tender. Funny....this car still does so many things so well.
    In 230k miles....never once has this car had a brake pulsation...it still has enough bottom end that it doesn't downshift going up these hills. (the wagon... 'ol shifty....would dump down two gears on a slight grade !!!). The a-pillar trims are intact and not pulling apart or bunching up...), the trim is in good shape. Avg 24.3 mpg (as shown on dashboard...but actual mpg calculates out within a few tenths of that...).

It's just a damned good car. I need to scounge a few used parts...(ie...a/c line from compressor to condenser from an '03 model...a fan shroud...a foglamp...just a few misc parts that would be fine to acquire from a yard car...), then start to pick away at this suspension. I need a full set of stock springs....(one in the rear was replaced a looong time ago, and the other has cracked recently. fronts are original...).... chit like that.... May get a full set, but the better deals are a set of lowering springs...like H&R's or something. I'm not against that....but would rather keep stock ride height...

The heat shields on the cats are loose and rattle at times...they've been dimpled and crimped, a short term solution, but I don't want to remove them. They toss efficiency codes every now and again, but mostly after you've jumped on the throttle a few times. Might have to cut those shields off then wrap the cats in header wrap or something.

...anyways....blathering on.....and on.....

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Tonio, which fogs do you need? If pre-face lift, I have a pair you can have, but the reflectors have been tinted yellow to make you feel like you are in France. Springs, springs are sort of new, like maybe 10,000 miles on them, I have to check, Jack listed everything that was bought and done for that car, when he got it, and what mileage the car had on it,stop not oem, but supposedly that Lesfojors brand, supposedly same as oem 528 sport springs. Jaxplanet put them on the green snotwagon before it became the Snotwagon. I have a brand new set of Eibach Pros that I will he installing after the new year. You will need rears, wagon rear springs don’t quite work on sedans. Yours if you want them, I’ll even toss in free shipping.

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Tonio, which fogs do you need? If pre-face lift, I have a pair you can have, but the reflectors have been tinted yellow to make you feel like you are in France. Springs, springs are sort of new, like maybe 10,000 miles on them, I have to check, Jack listed everything that was bought and done for that car, when he got it, and what mileage the car had on it,stop not oem, but supposedly that Lesfojors brand, supposedly same as oem 528 sport springs. Jaxplanet put them on the green snotwagon before it became the Snotwagon. I have a brand new set of Eibach Pros that I will he installing after the new year. You will need rears, wagon rear springs don’t quite work on sedans. Yours if you want them, I’ll even toss in free shipping.
    dude..!! really !!?? man, how awesome !!

This car is def pre-facelift...shit, it's a '97...its more like post e34lift...hahaha. I''m down for yellow fogs... I'll have to eat a crepe or something but I can dig me some hella yella hellas....

And for the springs...this is a FRONT set for a 528 right ? I was looking at the Lesfergeorgejeffersons anyways ! If I could score the fronts from you, I can source the rears....

IMG_20160508_122132474_HDR.jpg

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ok, cool, done.... Well, I gotta swap them out first, first of the year, or soon after. I can ship off the fogs this weekend if you pm me an addy to send them to.

My Cars
    97 528i
    PM sent.....
    Thank you ! and Merry Christmas my friend.

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    The 97 is a sedan? Most of my 528 take off parts would fit
    heck I just replaced the shift plate with a new one....
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yeah man! MerryXmas!!! I figure, if I keep doing all these good deeds, St, Pete will have them open up them Pearly Gates and wave me through without bothering to look at all the bad crap I’ve pulled....
    Oh, yes, the springs are on the 528 wagon right now. They’re actually not bad at all, ride wise, the car rides like a brand new 528, well, everything’s been redone, car has 76,000 miles, Jack really took good care of it while it was in his possession. He was possessed in replacing everything on the car!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    The 97 is a sedan? Most of my 528 take off parts would fit
    heck I just replaced the shift plate with a new one....
    Haha! Stephen, what did you replace it for??? All you and your wife’s E39’s are like time capsules!

My Cars
    528iT
    I'll sell ya my wagon, but it comes with a rear dented door and a salvage title lol