Thread: Massive Oil Leak, Where could this be coming from?

My Cars
    2009 335i / 2001 S2000

Massive Oil Leak, Where could this be coming from?

OK so this has been a rough week for my BMW E90.

Last Friday My wife called me and said that as she pulled into the driveway she got an error on the screen saying the engine was going to be performing at reduced output or something along those lines. I run out to find huge puddle of oil on the garage floor. I have my wife start the car again just to see if I could see what was going on and it was immediately obvious that something had happened with the oil filter gasket, the one that is replaced with each oil filter change. It had a bit of a bulge that had formed in it that was allowing a stream of oil to shoot out. This apparently happened on my wife's way home as the oil was changed months ago and it's been fine. I quickly bought a new oil filter housing (the black plastic cup the filter goes into), new gasket and new filter and installed them. Topped off the car with oil (it was about 2 quarts down due to all it had leaked in the garage and way home) and had hoped that was it.

However today we went to drive the car for the first time since and in less then 30 minutes of driving it went through 1 quart of oil! From max to min. I look under the car and it's still dripping oil. I checked the oil filter housing again and it's solid with no leaks. I then went under again and checked the drain plug, it was full of oil but so is everything down there due to the original leak. So I cleaned it off and ran the car for a few minutes and the dripping from the undercarridge continues and it's NOT coming from the drain plug, it's still clean.

Its hard to get pictures but I took some basic pictures just in case someone sees something here obvious. To me it almost seems like it's coming out of the gasket that is between the transmission and the engine based on where all the oil is but god that would suck. I obviously have to bring this in to get serviced but while I arrange all of that... does anyone have any ideas as to the probable cause of the leak?

20181213_174258951_iOS.jpg20181213_174249200_iOS.jpg
    Last edited by Cyber Logic; 12-13-2018 at 03:08 PM.

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2007 328i
    Sounds like the oil pan gasket. Its a common issue with these cars. Some leaks require immediate attention, some don't ever. Sounds like your car is the former unfortunately. I just left the dealer for my blower motor/ pcv recall. They found mine to be leaking slightly as well. My quote was about $1200 part and labor. They have to drop the subframe to change the gasket apparently.
    Arctic Metallic 2007 328i Coupe
    Alpine White 1997 528i
    Orange 2011 Dodge Caliber
    Titanium Silver 1985 325e (RIP), Oxford Green 1992 325i (RIP)
    Sachs Sport Suspension, 18x8.5 18x9 staggered RPM 505
    OEM prefacelift M5 headlights and taillights
    Boston Acoustics Pro50SE speakers, Boston Acoustics Competitor 12" sub
    Boston Acoustics GTA-400M and GT-22 amps, Alpine CDE-HD148BT Headunit

My Cars
    E90- Prev(E21s,E30s,E28)
    My advice would be to remove bottom covers to see where it's coming from, after awhile oil "flies everywhere" and ends dripping anywhere.
    Start simple from the top down; from the oil filler cap, remove the air filter housing so you can see the left side under the oil filter housing and so on, if it's not obvious wash engine and re check after a few "normal speed" miles...