Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crank Position Sensor - to replace or not replace...

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Happy new year, all! I replaced both the ICV hose and the hose from the intake manifold to the purge valve. The ICV hose was in fair shape, with some minor cracking at the ends. The hose going to the purge valve was in terrible shape. It split at the manifold connection when I first started to remove it, and the hose was rock hard on the manifold side. I replaced both hoses without removing the manifold; however, I did not get away with this without some scraped knuckles! The longest part of the job was getting the remaining piece of the hose off the manifold connection for the purge valve hose, with little room for getting a razor or other tools in there.

In any event, I'm sad to report that replacing these two hoses did not change the idle issues. I'm glad I changed them, since the purge valve hose clearly needed replacing, but my idle issue seems to be related to something else. That's now every single vacuum related hose replaced (and a whole host of other idle-related things attended to, as described above).

One thing I was thinking of checking next is the proper functioning of the purge valve. As I understand it, it's supposed to be open when the car is off and closed when the car is running? If it's stuck in the open position when the car is running, could it effectively create a vacuum leak state? I seem to remember reading from shogun that the purge valve function does affect idle, but I've also read contrary elsewhere. I cleaned it with compressed air and brake cleaner a couple weeks ago, but did not open it up or check it with an external power source to see if it clicks when electrified. It has proper a proper resistance value. I wonder if a quick way to check could be just to plug the hose from the purge valve to the manifold to see if that changes anything...

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    You mean the tank breather valve? 45 +/- 20 ohm. I have retyped the instructions for testing from the German test instructions, copy and use google translate:

Aus Pruefanleitung DME 1.1: Tankentlueftungsventil (TE-Ventil) pruefen:
    Das TE-Ventil wird im Sekundentakt angesteuert. Die Taktung ist mit der Hand fuehlbar.

Dichtheit pruefen:
    Unterdruckversorgung vom Service-Tester am 8-mm Anschluss anschliessen (Durchflusspfeil beachten). Unterdruck auf 600 mbar einregulieren und TE-Ventil mit 12V versorgen. Unterdruckpumpe abschalten, nach 20 Sekunden darf der Druckabfall 50 mbar nicht uebersteigen. Im stromlosen Zustand ist das TE-Ventil durch ein Rueckschlagventil bis zu einem Saugrohrunterdruck von 20 mbar geschlossen.

Ansteuerphasen pruefen:
    Das TE-Ventil wird im Leerlauf angesteuert (Anzeige EIN) und ist somit geschlossen. Sobald die Lambdaregelung aktiv ist und die Drehzahl bis ca. 1600 UPM erhoeht wird, kann die schrittweise Oeffnung beobachtet werden (Anzeige AUS).

Pruefung Luftmengenmesser
    Der Wert Up/UV (Up = Potentiometerspannung, Uv = Versorgungsspannung 5V) zeigt das Spannungsverhaeltnis, welches aus der Stauklappenstellung im LMM hervorgeht. Im Leerlauf liegt der Wert bei 0.20....0.25, bei Vollast steigt er bis auf 0.9. Bei einer Unterbrechung der Spannungsversorgung oder der Signalleitung wird der Wert 0.02 angezeigt.

Spannungsversorgung pruefen:
    Am LMM an Leitung GR/WS (+) und GR/BL (-) bei Zuendung EIN ca. 5V. Am DME-Steuergeraet entspricht dies Pin 12 (+) und Pin 26 (-).

Temperaturfuehler Ansaugluft im LMM
    Die Ansauglufttemperatur liegt bei betriebswarmen Motor bei 50....70 Grad C. (Umgebungslufttemperatur 23 +/- 5 Grad C.) Eine Anzeige unter -40 Grad deutet auf eine Unterbrechung des Temperaturfuehlers oder der Zuleitung zum DME-Steuergeraet hin.

Widerstandspruefung: Universaladapter anschliessen, Widerstand an den Anschluessen 44 und 26 Messen.

Einspritzventile
    Die ESV werden hier mit einer Frequenz von 10 Hz angesteuert. Die Impulszeit betraegt 1 ms., um das Einspritzen von Kraftstoff zu vermeiden. Die Aktivierung ist mit der Hand fuehlbar. Die Impulse koennen mit einem Multimeter am Einspritzventilstecker geprueft werden.

Widerstandspruefung
    Der Widerstand einer Spule betraegt 15...17 ohm bei 23 +/- 5 Grad C.

Lambdasonde
    Voraussetzung fuer die Abfrage ist eine betriebswarme Lambdasonde. Das angezeigte Spannungssignal wird schrittweise abgegriffen und schwankt zwischen 0.02 und 0.85V. Wenn die Lambdasonde nicht arbeitet oder die Leitung zum DME-Steuergeraet unterbrochen ist, wird ein konstanter Wert von 0.45V angezeigt. Dieser Wert liegt auch an, wenn keine Lambdasonde verbaut ist.

Impulsgeber Zylindererkennung
    Am Stecker des Impulsgebers betraegt der Widerstand der Spule 0.2...1 ohm bei 23 +/-5 Grad C. Ein defekter Impulsgeber ermoeglicht NUR Paralleleinspritzung.

Zuendspule
    Bei betriebswarmen Motor betraegt die Zuendspannung 10 +/-2kV. Die maximale Differenz der einzelnen Zylinder sollte 3kV nicht ueberschreiten.

Widerstandswerte bei +/-5 Grad C. M30
    Einspritzventilgruppe (3EV) 5.5 +/- 0.5 ohm
    Impulsgeber-Drehzahl / Pos. 520 +/- 30 ohm
    Temperaturfuehler Motor bei Kuehlmitteltemperatur 20 +/-1 Grad 2.3- 2.7 kohm. 80 +/- 1 Grad 0.3-0.36 kohm
    Abschaltdrehzahl 6400 +/- 40
    Temperaturfuehler Ansaugluft bei Lufttemperatur 20 +/- 1 Grad 2.2 - 2.7 kohm, 50 +/- 1 Grad 0.76 - 0.91 kohm
    Tankentlueftungsventil 45 +/- 20 ohm
    Zuendspule primaer 0.4 - 0.1 ohm
    Zuenspule sekundaer 9.0 - 1.5 kohm
    Leerlaufsteller: Der Leerlaufsteller (LLS) wird im Sekundentakt angesteuert. Blende im LLS muss ganz oeffnen und schliessen. Der Widerstand je Wicklung betraegt 20 +/-2 Ohm bei 23 +/- 5 Grad C. gemessen am LLS.

The complete file 3.6 MB http://wp1016621.server-he.de/fotost...DME11-735i.pdf

For a quick test: the tank breather valve should have a resistance of 45 +/- 20 Ohm and it closed without 12V power.

German description from the BMW testing instructions for M1.1: Pruefanleitung DME 1.1:
    Tankentlueftungsventil (TE-Ventil) pruefen: Das TE-Ventil wird im Sekundentakt angesteuert. Die Taktung ist mit der Hand fuehlbar.
    Dichtheit pruefen: Unterdruckversorgung vom vom Service-Tester am 8-mm Anschluss anschliessen (Durchflusspfeil beachten). Unterdruck auf 600 mbar einregulieren und TE-Ventil mit 12V versorgen. Unterdruckpumpe abschalten, nach 20 Sekunden darf der Druckabfall 50 mbar nicht uebersteigen. Im stromlosen Zustand ist das TE-Ventil durch ein Rueckschlagventil bis zu einem Saugrohrunterdruck von 20 mbar geschlossen.
    Ansteuerphasen pruefen: Das TE-Ventil wird im Leerlauf angesteuert (Anzeige EIN) und ist somit geschlossen. Sobald die Lambdaregelung aktiv ist und die Drehzahl bis ca. 1600 UPM erhoeht wird, kann die schrittweise Oeffnung beobachtet werden (Anzeige AUS).

translated: From test instructions DME 1.1:
    Tank venting valve (TE valve) check: The TE ( TE = Tank Entlueftung = tank breather valve) valve is activated every second. The clicking one can feel by touching the valve by hand.

Check tightness: Connect the vacuum supply from the service tester to the 8-mm connection (observe flow arrow). Adjust negative pressure to 600 mbar and supply TE valve with 12V.
    Switch off vacuum pump, after 20 seconds the pressure drop may not exceed 50 mbar.
    In powerless state the TE valve is closed by a check valve up to a suction pipe vacuum of 20 mbar.

Check driving phases:
    The TE valve is activated in idle (display ON) and is thus closed. As soon as the lambda control is active and the speed is increased up to approx. 1600 rpm, the stepwise opening can be observed (display OFF).

more here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...g-valve-wiring
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1992 E32 M60 V8 RHD
    schnell944, when u mentioned u check tps, how did u check it? any adjustment needed? u should be able to hear a click, or even better to measure it with multimeter, where slight movement (opening)of the throttle will deactivate the icv
    1990 730i M30B30 RHD - Sold
    1993 730i M60B30 RHD

Others:-
    2012 Toyota Fortuner 4WD 3.0
    2012 Kia Optima 2.4L
    1990 Suzuki cavalcade (motorbike for hobby)

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    Shogun - yes, I'm referring to the tank breather valve. Just re-checked resistance, and it's in spec at 50 Ohms. It clicks when the car is running, but I have not yet vacuum tested it to make sure it's not leaking. I tried running the car with the hose from the manifold to the breather valve plugged up, removing the valve and blocking the end of the hose, but the idle stayed the same, which tells me that the valve is probably not the culprit.

G46 - No adjustment was needed on the TPS. I checked it with a multimeter according to procedure outlined on this board and in the Bentley manual.

My Cars
    1992 E32 M60 V8 RHD
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell944 View Post
    Shogun - yes, I'm referring to the tank breather valve. Just re-checked resistance, and it's in spec at 50 Ohms. It clicks when the car is running, but I have not yet vacuum tested it to make sure it's not leaking. I tried running the car with the hose from the manifold to the breather valve plugged up, removing the valve and blocking the end of the hose, but the idle stayed the same, which tells me that the valve is probably not the culprit.

G46 - No adjustment was needed on the TPS. I checked it with a multimeter according to procedure outlined on this board and in the Bentley manual.

just to recall, you did replaced your old worn out plug, but did u gap them accordingly? it might help..
    1990 730i M30B30 RHD - Sold
    1993 730i M60B30 RHD

Others:-
    2012 Toyota Fortuner 4WD 3.0
    2012 Kia Optima 2.4L
    1990 Suzuki cavalcade (motorbike for hobby)

My Cars
    '90 735, '01 M5
    G46 - yup, I gapped them properly. Thanks for asking though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12