Thread: Lifespan of VANOS unit

My Cars
    98 Z3, 97 328i vert

Lifespan of VANOS unit

I realize you could kill a VANOS just by running without oil in the motor for a few minutes.
    However if you take good care of your motor and do all the oil changes then how many miles or years would the VANOS unit/system last. Having seen a few videos of how it is constructed and how to take it apart the one thing that is probably the first to go is the oil seal/Oring that would get brittle.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    No oil will kill your engine before the vanos. Either way, i have 250K + engines that are on the original vanos.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    catimann, check out the guide on how to rebuild the vanos seals. It's not a difficult job but must be done correctly. The only thing I would add to the guide is to not chop into the old seals with an xacto knife like the guide shows, stupid people will cut right into the vanos body as did one of the previous morons/mechanics who owned my car.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by catimann View Post
    I realize you could kill a VANOS just by running without oil in the motor for a few minutes.
    However if you take good care of your motor and do all the oil changes then how many miles or years would the VANOS unit/system last. Having seen a few videos of how it is constructed and how to take it apart the one thing that is probably the first to go is the oil seal/Oring that would get brittle.

Any thoughts?
    The VANOS system will last as long as the motor. But you are correct, the seals will require replacement over time but when and how often it will happen is difficult to determine.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    It's easily one of the most resilient VVT setups out there. It got a bad rep when dealers would replace it with a brand new OEM one for over $1k but if you rebuild them these days they are the cheapest and easiest to work on VVT setup I know of.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    E36
    +1 - I have 270k. Seals were replaced at 160k by previous owner, and again I did them at 260k (and they weren't bad after 100k).
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's