RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Rod bearing knock just starting....

My Cars
    2014 X3 Msport

Rod bearing knock just starting....

Howdy, well my 2014 X3 N55 Msport is at 64k and just starting to have a rod bearing knock around 3-4000 rpm's. I took it to the dealer today to hear the sound, since they had replaced spark plugs last week and the OFGH was replaced due to a leak Friday. Monday I noticed a slight sewing machine sounding ticking at certain rpm's when the car is cold or hot. When I popped the hood and had my son press the gas I could hear pretty clearly a loud knocking, although it was tough to replicate unless you slowly pressed the throttle at certain rpm's. We did a test drive today at the BMW dealers with the shop manager and it appears to be a rod bearing knock but I have an appt. in 2 weeks to do a thorough check. He thought it could be a number of things and it doesnt exactly stick out if you just rev the engine, so I didn't want me to jump to conclusions, but it certainly sounds just like most of the clips I ave heard of bearing issues. I'll post a clip when I get a chance to video it. I have never had a low oil light, had the car serviced at a dealer since I bought it with 18k miles from a bmw dealer.

My question is, if it is a rod bearing and I caught the issue early, would putting thicker oil in help the engine life now or does it only mask the sound? I know thicker oil can't really "repair" anything but would it prevent further wear and give me more miles? The did an oil change last week with 0W30.

Hopefully a best case scenario is a repair rather than total rebuild

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Forget using thicker oil. If, truly, you have a rod bearing knock, your ONLY chance at saving the engine is to stop driving it immediately, and open up the bottom end, renew the bearings, and look carefully at the crankshaft journals for damage. If the bearings are very damaged ( as is usually the case when you're hearing them knock), then you may be needing a short block.

IF you bought this car new, and IF your maintenance and repairs have been done at the dealership, you MIGHT get BMW NA to take some "Goodwill" measures to help you deal with the situation. You need to be nice, and have a talk with the dealership service manager, and ask whether he'd consider submitting a Goodwill case to BMW in your behalf.

Again though, any chance at repairing the situation with a set of bearings will be lost if you drive the car....if it's not too late already.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    In probably over one hundred of E9x M3 rod bearing failures, BMW told the owners to go F themselves. The M buyers are among the greatest enthusiasts. I like BMWs and own 3 but don’t recommend them to many people. If people insist, I suggest buying CPO or getting an extended warranty. And I recommend staying away from dealers once out of warranty and using an independent shop (with a mechanic like bmwdirtracer).

My Cars
    You're certainly not going to get any goodwill assistance from BMW at an independent shop.

And BTW, in 13 years at a dealer, I have seen countless engines replaced under goodwill warranty from BMW.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "The did an oil change last week with 0W30." Hopefully their oil change bitch didn't start it with an empty crankcase.

What kind of %$^%&* idiot service writer makes an appt. two weeks out and sends you on your merry way with a rod knock?
    Like dirtracer says. Stop driving it!
    @ White94RX Of course you won't be seeing the ones told to sod off.
    Good luck OP
    Last edited by ross1; 12-13-2018 at 09:56 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2014 X3 Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    "The did an oil change last week with 0W30." Hopefully their oil change bitch didn't start it with an empty crankcase.

What kind of %$^%&* idiot service writer makes an appt. two weeks out and sends you on your merry way with a rod knock?
    Like dirtracer says. Stop driving it!
    @ White94RX Of course you won't be seeing the ones told to sod off.
    Good luck OP
    I thought the same thing, having only noticed the sound after i had the work done Friday, I don't know how they could have missed it. I asked the service manager if I should keep driving it and he said it should be fine, which I also do not believe. I have a close by reputable shop that has a good history of honest evaluations that I am going to try to take it to before I go back in 2 weeks to the dealer. I don't really want to wait 2 weeks to find out whats wrong anyway. if I need a new engine I can talk to the dealer, but if it can be repaired I will have them do it.

I'd be suspicious they didn't get a spark plug tightened properly since the noise started shortly after changing them. Sounds a lot like rod knock. Been there, done that.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    m3bs, that's an interesting thought. To me, the sounds are different, and come from a different place, but that might not be apparent to a service writer.

Beyond that, though, I am sticking firmly to my recommendation that the car go back to the dealership, and only to the dealership, until you've exhausted any possibility of Goodwill assistance from BMW.

Drop it off; speak NICELY with the Service Manager - (NOT a service writer). Tell him you're really afraid to drive it, potentially doing far more damage, while the cause of the knock is unknown, but suspected to be a rod knock. Tell him that you'll greatly appreciate his assistance in finding the culprit, at their earliest convenience.

Personally, I wouldn't mention a Goodwill issue until they tell you their diagnosis. You don't want to discuss the fact that an indie shop told you it sounds like a rod knock. You need to keep this entirely within the BMW system. Instead, tell the service manager that your brother/father/son is a BMW dealer tech, and while he was visiting you, he suggested that it sounded like a rod knock, and told you not to drive it until the dealership properly diagnosed it.

Note please that White 94RX is a dealer master tech; I'm an indie master tech, and we're both telling you the same thing.

Sure, maybe you'll end up paying every cent of whatever's necessary by yourself. But you need to do your very best to allow BMW NA, and the dealership, to be YOUR HEROES. Everyone wants to be a hero. Use HONEY, not LEMON. Be nice.

I am going to always send the customer to the dealership, when that's in the customer's best interest. I can't tell you how many tens of thousands of dollars I've caused customers to save, by sending them to the dealership, for extended warranty repairs, likely Goodwill stuff, etc.

And, you know what? Those customers love me forever. AND, they love BMW NA, and the dealership, too. We all win...particularly the customer!

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    I'd be suspicious they didn't get a spark plug tightened properly since the noise started shortly after changing them. Sounds a lot like rod knock. Been there, done that.
    Me too! It DOES sound eerily like a rod knock.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Me too! It DOES sound eerily like a rod knock.
    Amen, or a bad lifter that I was ready to replace after stethoscope and oil everywhere with cover off, #5 plug was loose!